Five months this Monday- still doubtful

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Five months this Monday- still doubtful

Postby Nk904 on May 28th, 2014, 11:48 am

Well, here I am. Most likely a product of viral illness and unbelievable stress and or worry. First, thank you to anyone who takes the time to read this and offers reassurance or any bit of help as I need it. Towards the end of last year I got dumped (boohoo) and my world spiraled. Being 21 and hardly knowing anyone since my life was dedicated to this girl really set in deep. I constantly seemed down at work and everywhere else. I started fearing all sorts of diseases in October/November. I feel like this gave me something to do and for some reason I was so worked up I felt like it was my time to go. On one occasion I literally made my boss come to work so I could get a std panel done -_-

Anyway, my bfs story. Starting in early January I noticed some upper back pain and a feeling that something wasn't right. Once again, I was also depressed about females. For some reason I consulted Dr. Google about this back pain. I started to trial off because I was bored and somehow stumbled upon the big one. I saw that twitching was a symptom and I don't know if I was already twitching before, but, I was definitely feeling and looking for them now. That night on my way home my right calve started it all. From January to now I've experienced twitching everywhere. The most common spots are in my calves. These spots go 24/7. I can see all of them but indent feel all of them. Just about half of them. They seem fast fired and like a bag of popcorn or water boiling at a slower rate. In the last 20 weeks, or five months, I've seen an er doctor, primary care doctor, urgent care doctor and a neuro (not even referred by anyone). I've had three clinical exams, all went very well. My last one was around 17-21 days after I noticed the twitching. I had basic blood work that checked out fine. After the neuro I quit wasting money. He told me not to come back unless I have atrophy or real weakness. He didn't suggest an emg or anything. So, I'm one of those no emg bfs people...which is terrifying. He actually said BFS and it had to happen, so why not now? He also said during the summer I might notice they die down a bit (maybe he said go away, that has me worried). I really can't recall all of what he said other than I have bfs. Ever since then I've questioned every single ache or pain. After five months I'm still in doubt because the twitching is bad (mostly my calves nonstop), I can self induce cramps in my calves and I'm also sore here and there. I do have a low vitamin d level and have been taking medicine for that and it doesn't help. I also take celexa and b12/ magnesium pills. Nothing has helped. The more I worry, the worse it is. On a final note, I'm a 22 year old male with NO known als cases in my family. In fact the only notable deaths are my mom who had colon cancer at 36. My uncle who had one of the rarest forms of muscular dystrophy at age 8. Finally, my great, great grandpa had Parkinson's at age 80...

So, here's my questions:

1. Does this sound like typical bfs?

2. Does anyone else have nonstop calve twitching, some you don't feel and all you can see?

3. Should I be happy with no emg? Should I get the emg and be broke?

4. Is self induced cramping common? Meaning, in als is it cramping that happens involuntary? Can any of you bring on self induced cramps?

5. Is my family history a concern for this?
Nk904

Re: Five months this Monday- still doubtful

Postby mwagner on May 28th, 2014, 12:44 pm

1. Does this sound like typical bfs? Yes! In fact, this is making me realize how common it is for people to read about <you know what> and break into twitching! So strange.

2. Does anyone else have nonstop calve twitching, some you don't feel and all you can see? I have nonstop twitching in my calves. The most common place.

3. Should I be happy with no emg? Should I get the emg and be broke? No.

4. Is self induced cramping common? Meaning, in als is it cramping that happens involuntary? Can any of you bring on self induced cramps? Yes, most people can.

5. Is my family history a concern for this? Absolutely not. None of that is related.

You are the epitome of a very young person with BFS. No need to worry about anything anymore. In fact, you really need to address your onset of hypochondriasis/health anxiety. You're too young to be plagued with health anxiety.
mwagner
Saint
Saint

Postby Yuliasir on May 28th, 2014, 12:46 pm

Hi,
if you have normal clinical, at your age you do not need emg usually. And experience of fellows n this board is that usually they do emg only in order to start doubting it in few days becasue tqitches are still here.
yes self induced twitech are one of the commnest issues in BFS
nope regarding family history - even your uncle does not make a riskfor you because from your words one may suggest he was what is called a lethal mutation - he did not brought his genes down to the next generations. I assume his disease was of that type which needs two broken copies of gene and therefore is usually so lethal. You may have one copy damaged (if any) but another still works. Parkinson at 80 yo is nothing really special which may kill you at 22.
Matt bobajojo has constant nonstop twitches of any type, ask him, he knows much more about that.

and you know what... the whole life is ahead of you.
when I was 18 naive girl (I am 44, a 25 year wife and a mom), I met the boy and fall in love with him... Assume his father did not like me becasue after first family visit my young lover (also 18) was suffering for a week and finally dismissed our relationships in the most painful way just saying he loves me but can not stay in relationships... I was so insulted... it was so painful... I thought I would never see the sky blue...
and you know what?
in 6 month I met my future husband, and in 9 month this boy who left me died in a HSE accident (he did not follow simplest safety rules and falled down from 30 m).

I believe still that the God had blessed me with that broken realtionships... and subsequent marriage of my life.
I do not mean your girl should die in the accident of course, I just mean you still have a whole life ahead. Everything will change for sure and for better.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby Nk904 on May 28th, 2014, 1:06 pm

Yuli, self induced cramps not twitching is what I meant! Thanks for all the outlook guys. I need it. Toughest five months ever. How many months can I say this isn't the big one?
Nk904

Postby Nk904 on May 28th, 2014, 1:50 pm

I should also note I have finger twitching and moving while trying to sleep. I even wake up with internal tremors sometimes. The human body is quite impressive.
Nk904

Postby Yuliasir on May 28th, 2014, 1:55 pm

Self induced cramps are my own cirucs for several years already. I started with intercoastal cramps induced by just bowing, and i can induce a cramp in my foot, hand and in other locations.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby Nk904 on May 28th, 2014, 2:33 pm

The only place I can self induce cramps is my calves. Which is where I'm also nonstop twitching. Which is why I'm scared.
Nk904

Postby Nk904 on May 29th, 2014, 11:44 am

I keep having sinus infections or congestion, too. My ears are all stuffy and making cracking noises. Also, I had sever scratching in my inner thighs to where I was bleeding. It's died down now. Any thoughts?
Nk904

Postby Yuliasir on May 29th, 2014, 12:37 pm

did not got a bit about the tighs...it happens to all of us to scratch hard sometimes, especially if the skin is thin and delicate like on the inner tighs.
definitely scratching themsleves till bleeding is not a sign of MND but rather sign of itching, obsessive actions or whatever else...
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby Nk904 on May 29th, 2014, 3:16 pm

Yuli, thanks for the replies. The scratching isn't as bad as it used to be. Less scratching means less irritated. The thigh and calve twitches could go away now..
Nk904

Postby Nk904 on June 16th, 2014, 5:31 pm

Still doubting this is bfs. Constant twitching everywhere (even in buttocks) I also noticed I shake when stretching/yawning. Why?
Nk904

Postby Yuliasir on June 17th, 2014, 12:11 am

Becasue your muscles are hyperexcited.
twitching everywhere and even in intimate parts of the body without any significant or even noticeable weakness is a benign process.
I may understand your doubts if you would say - 'today I can not move a finger. This is not benign". but having twitches everywhere and muscle trambling is so common for BFS (and even not for BFS).
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby johnnythejet on June 17th, 2014, 2:35 pm

nk-
Leave. Get out of this place and never come back. You clearly have nothing sinister going on but are at risk of losing years of your life to fear of the boogieman. Don't let yourself spiral down this hole.....its very, very deep.
johnnythejet
Saint
Saint

Postby Nk904 on June 17th, 2014, 8:43 pm

Everyone says five months and no weakness you're ok. Then I read horror stories on the bet and even here. I wish I could leave this all behind..
Nk904

Postby Nk904 on June 18th, 2014, 3:27 pm

The worst part is I wasn't even over excited in my opinion. I woke up at 6:30 am and immediately yawned/shook. Maybe five minutes from waking up. Almost like having goosebumps and shaking.
Nk904

Sponsor

Sponsor

Next

Return to The Support Group