Perceived Weakness

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Perceived Weakness

Postby Scboy on May 14th, 2014, 7:23 pm

I have a question. I've heard of perceived weakness in arms and legs, but has anyone ever heard of perceived weakness in respiratory muscles? The reason I'm asking is I can jog and not feel much out of breath, but when I lay down and other random times during the day I feel shortness of breath.
Would a sleep study pick up hypoventilating due to respirtory muscle weakness?
Scboy
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Re: Perceived Weakness

Postby Yuliasir on May 14th, 2014, 11:17 pm

Scboy,
sleep study, as far as I understand, is intended to check the following: if you have apnea episodes (which are physiologically normal at sleep, if too deep and/or too frequent, mostly are the cause of sleep troubles) and if you have correct length and schedule of two different sleep phases - REM sleep and deep relaxed sleep. So it would not be too much informative to estimate your breathing function.
to see if you have chronic hypo- or hyperventilation, you need to check blood gases (a blood test). You may also ask about respiratory function test which measures inhaled and exhaled volumes and gases concentration - this usually shows if your whole lungs system works properly - the volume usually shows if the musculature operates normally, and the gases test gives and estimate of gas exchange efficiency which may be lowered in case of chronic obstructive respiratory disorder for example.
In case you have shortness of breath predominantly in horisontal position, I would probably think about visiting ENT doctor to see if you do not have any tissue growth in the nasopharynx etc,. becasue usually it is the reason of apnea in horizontal position (overweight also, but I do not know if you have that condition).
of course specific EMG will show if you have any conductivity troubles in rib muscles and diaphragm, but I think first it is better to exclude other causes like physical obstructions or hyperventialtion (which itself causes spasms of bronchi and may result in bad series of breath shortness during a day - I remember my own were lasting for hours and it was a real torture to try to breath enough).

as for perceived weakness, we of course may have it anywhere. No matter which muscle your mind would consider a 'weak' one.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Re: Perceived Weakness

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group