gabapentin

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

gabapentin

Postby nrwtwitcher on April 23rd, 2014, 12:47 am

Hi all... I am trying Gabapentin since 7 days... it doesn`t help me since yet.. I take 100 mg p. day. Is there anybody who has experiences with gabapentin? What is or was your dose? Thank you all for answering.
nrwtwitcher
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Re: gabapentin

Postby Yuliasir on April 23rd, 2014, 3:16 am

what is your PRESCRIBED dose? hold on it. I am not sure (can not remember precisely which was mine) but 100 mg per day seems to be nothing. Epileptic patients start from 900 (3 times per day x 300 mg) but I believe as we are not true epi patients, our dosage is somwhere twice less (400-500 mg/day).
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby nrwtwitcher on April 23rd, 2014, 6:34 am

Dear Yulia. My starting doses is 100 mg, if that not works, 200 mg ... 300 mg... My Neuro told me to try first 100 mg. But this dose workes not in my case...
nrwtwitcher
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Yuliasir on April 23rd, 2014, 6:44 am

then try more :) 100 mg is really low. be warned you may feel some dizziness and instability, but it is temporary effect.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby nrwtwitcher on April 23rd, 2014, 6:50 am

Thank you Yulia. Have you tried it? Did it helped?
nrwtwitcher
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Yuliasir on April 23rd, 2014, 6:57 am

Yes, I was prescribed and took it for a several weeks. Can not remember wheter it was a big effect becasue it was 2 years ago but it definitely makes worries less :))) At the same time or closely to gabapentine I was used rexetine - and that stuff got me bloody increase in twitches (and it appeared it is not uncommon side effect!), however after 4 or 6 weeks upon end of rexetine course my twitches went down to tolerable level and never tortured me gain as it was before (however I still have them of course daily).
Gabapentine has mild sedative and antistress effect so take it, just follow prescriptions.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby nrwtwitcher on April 24th, 2014, 12:17 am

Thank you Yulia. Really nobody else with any experience? I have searched in the forum but I don`t found anything about some doses. Thank you for reading.
nrwtwitcher
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby magnetizzum on April 24th, 2014, 1:08 pm

Hello...I have been on gabapentin for several months. It works for some and not for others. It does work for me....reduces symptoms but does not take them away completely. I would think you're dosage is way to low. I'm on 1200mg.....600mg in morning then 600 at night. My neuro stated when he started me on gaba that I may see up to a 30-50% reduction in symptoms. Hope this helps.. also...at a higher dose you may have slightly more daytime tiredness, but a nice effect is better nighttime sleep
magnetizzum

Postby nrwtwitcher on April 25th, 2014, 8:52 am

@magnet. Thanks very much. I will try to take a higher dose.
nrwtwitcher
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby aztwitchy on April 29th, 2014, 4:55 pm

hi i tried it....did nothing but give me side effects.
"Health is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being, and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity." ~World Health Organization, 1948
aztwitchy
Hero
Hero

Postby Mario313 on May 8th, 2014, 12:11 am

I've been taking Gabapentin for almost two months now. My doc prescribed 600mg (300mg twice a day), but I only take 300mg around 6pm.
At first I did not really feel that it did anything for me besides make me tired, but after a week or so I feel it helped my restless legs calm down.
My body does feel quite a bit more 'quiet'.
But I still have twitches spasms and buzzing sensations all the time, but that's just what seems to come with the territory.

My neuro says that 300mg is really low and to take more if I need to.
But I don't really like the idea of taking pills, so I just stick with my low dose.

Exercise seems to be helping me.
I signed up with a personal trainer for 12 weeks.
I still twitch, especially after working out hard, but I do feel much better in general.
Mario313

Postby nrwtwitcher on May 16th, 2014, 4:44 am

Thank you Mario, I am trying now 200 mg Gabapentin at the evening and I feel that my twitchers are a little bit quieter at night.Now I am going to try a higher dose, I think like you, 300 mg at the evening.
nrwtwitcher
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Mario313 on May 16th, 2014, 8:34 pm

Good luck NRW.
Let me know if you notice anything different.
I've been debating whether or not I should try raising my intake.
Mario313

Postby raindog on May 21st, 2014, 5:25 am

having tried both Gabapentin and pregabalin both had very little impact on severity of fasciculations and certainly never calmed them. Probably gave some pain relief but even that diminishes and you have to keep upping the dose. Because i have some issues with my Liver (autoimmune) i would rather help that than carry on with the meds, PLUS cannabis is far superior in helping with pain and sleep and much less harmful for the liver.
raindog
Saint
Saint

Postby nrwtwitcher on May 21st, 2014, 1:22 pm

Thanks Raindog and Mario. My twitches are not so strong at the moment, but more than like a machine gun... fast series... I have read times ago that this is not a good sign...
nrwtwitcher
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Next

Return to The Support Group