One year anniversary - 2nd emg

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

One year anniversary - 2nd emg

Postby cecsix on April 10th, 2014, 8:41 pm

Haven't been here in a while, last summer the people on this board played a huge part in helping me stay sane. Twitching as much as ever, from head to toe, just doesn't bother me as much anymore. I do have, and have had, perceived weakness and what appears to be mild atrophy in my left foot. I had a mildly abnormal EMG IN July of last year (brief run of fibrillations in lumbar paraspinals, all else normal). With no clear progression, Stayed away from doctors until January, but needed to get a new PC doc in my new state. She ran blood tests, had some issues, including elevated liver enzymes. Had a liver ultrasound, found I had fatty liver. Prior to all these symptoms, I was a runner and a cross fitter, so I was in the best shape of my life. I let this stuff (exercise intolerance, twitching exacerbated) basically stop my active lifestyle in its tracks (pun intended). So, decided tofollow up with Nuero just to let him know I was still twitching and see if he thought I had any reason for concern. He took muscle enzyme blood test, and both CPK and aldolase were "barely borderline high". So, he said maybe let's do another EMG just to rule out muscle problems. He also did another clinical exam, which was completely normal. Good strength, good reflexes, but he did observe my legs twitching and said, "Yep, those are fasciculations. Just not the type we worry about." So, had the EMG Tuesday, which came out completely normal. He said I could have some type of mild, non-progressive myopathy or metabolic disorder that is causing the twitching and elevated enzymes, but absolutely nothing very serious. He gave me the option of getting a biopsy to see if there is a treatable myopathy or something metabolic that is affecting the muscle. I decided to do it, because I want to fix the exercise intolerance if there's something that can be done for it. I'm anxious to get back to living a healthy, active life. I went for a 30 minute jog/walk the past two days, not pushing too much, and so far, I don't feel terrible from it like I would have last year at this time. Anyway, just wanted to share another story. I guess I'm not a true BFS'er yet, because all other diseases haven't been ruled out, but I think I'm going to live a pretty full life. No ALS or anything very serious. If feels amazing to say that.
cecsix

Re: One year anniversary - 2nd emg

Postby ShawnW on April 10th, 2014, 9:33 pm

That's awesome. Thanks for coming back and sharing.
ShawnW
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby veryworried123 on April 10th, 2014, 11:22 pm

Great post

Did you have elevated billrubin? Or some other enzymes
veryworried123
Hero
Hero

Postby cecsix on April 11th, 2014, 6:29 am

veryworried123 wrote:Great post

Did you have elevated billrubin? Or some other enzymes

My bilirubin was the only one that hasn't been high. ALT and AST have been roughly 2x normal. CPK and aldolase were just barely outside the normal range.
cecsix

Postby cecsix on April 11th, 2014, 6:31 am

Also, none of these lab abnormalities existed when this started, when I was in decent shape, and before I gained 30lbs from being sedentary. I'm not specifically going to try to lose weight, but I am slowly going to work my activity back up to a moderate level.
cecsix

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group