Atrophy?

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Atrophy?

Postby nrun90 on April 9th, 2014, 5:15 pm

I know I've seen others post pictures about what they feel is atrophy and have been told no, but my left hand muscles really look smaller than my right especially in the thumb area. Does anyone think this could be atrophy or the beginning of atrophy? I have a lot of pain in my left hand in this area as well as twitching, numbness and tingling (which comes and goes) and it feels like my fingers on this hand do not work as well as my right when typing. I'm making quite a bit of mistakes lately. Mostly my middle finger, ring finger and pinky.

http://imageshack.com/a/img138/241/r0nn.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img838/415/vk52.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img812/4214/3mhq.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img823/8730/27e3.jpg
nrun90

Re: Atrophy?

Postby Yuliasir on April 9th, 2014, 11:09 pm

Hi
for me your RIGHT hand looks a bit swollen to be honest, not left hand 'atropied'. Unilateral swelling happens much more often than we can think, especially in hands and feet, usually due to circulation troubles. I had taht adn I know what I am saying :)))

pain, numbness, tingling in the pinky, ring and milld finger is a CLASSIC description of ulnar nerve compression. Nowadays it is a very frequent trauma, unlike even 50 years ago when it was a disease of tenisists, machine typists and milkers (and maybe carperneters). If you type 8 hours a day, you MUST have ulnar tunnes syndrome. Go check for that. Well developed ulnar syndrome may cause severe pains, and yes, paresis and atrophy, but reversible of course ater releiveng the nerve. Most cases I had seen here are very mild and ususally (including my own) could be treated by wearing wrist bandage to fix the wrist position.
typing mistakes happen becasue you have pain and change your normal movement patterns in order to decerease ot.

Go to orthopedist. Buy a bandage. Do not think about MND. As for pictures, you do nto have any atrophy, as far as I can see,
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby nrun90 on April 9th, 2014, 11:27 pm

Thank you for you response Yuliasir! I will bring this up on Monday when I see my doctor.
nrun90

Postby TwitchyDoc on April 10th, 2014, 8:31 am

In MND, hand atrophy is most commonly represented as first dorsal interosseous muscle atrophy, between your thumb and index finger. If you move your thumb toward your palm (so it touches the index finger base), you should see the bulge of muscle appearing there. From your pictures, I can assure you there is no atrophy I could tell.
TwitchyDoc
Saint
Saint

Postby raindog on April 10th, 2014, 6:39 pm

Dont waste your time mate. People with MND will notice significant weakness and loss of grip before they even notice any wasting/atrophy. The fact you can pick up a camera and press the button to take pictures says a resounding NO
raindog
Saint
Saint

Postby veryworried123 on April 10th, 2014, 11:35 pm

Does anyone have any ideas

I feel like I get hand sorness in certain spots almost like a mild cramp or stiffness

Don't know of I'm describing it well

But it feels like I always have to stretch or extend my hamd or it's gets tight sore or crampy in certain spots

Thanks
veryworried123
Hero
Hero

Postby raindog on April 11th, 2014, 6:58 am

veryworried123 wrote:Does anyone have any ideas

I feel like I get hand sorness in certain spots almost like a mild cramp or stiffness

Don't know of I'm describing it well

But it feels like I always have to stretch or extend my hamd or it's gets tight sore or crampy in certain spots

Thanks

Your anxiety is causing you to focus on everything. I get all the things you mention and more such as slow relaxation of my grip when holding something tight for a while also full blown hand cramp etc. Ive also had 2 emgs with long duration MUPs fasciculations and chronic neurogenic changes etc. in both lower legs absent reflexes too........ I'm still here after 8 years and my neuro has now discharged me as its something i have to live with for the whole of my life. I would advise you to do the same and start giving your family and friends some attention or join a club , get a hobby that gets you outdoors and away from Google.

Come back in 5 years and thank me.
raindog
Saint
Saint

Postby nrun90 on April 11th, 2014, 1:29 pm

raindog wrote:Dont waste your time mate. People with MND will notice significant weakness and loss of grip before they even notice any wasting/atrophy. The fact you can pick up a camera and press the button to take pictures says a resounding NO

Thank you Raindog! Really appreciate you taking the time to comment. I've been more concienctious about which hand/arm I use and 9 times out of 10 I use my right. So I've been looking at my left more and trying to use it to do every day things. Turns out it's not very coordinated lol. But when I asked my friend last night about her left hand she said the same thing. Just have a quick question. Do people with MND notice pain before weakness/atrophy and all that? I guess for some reason that is my biggest concern. If I didn't have pain, I don't think the twitches would bother me. -Nick
nrun90

Postby raindog on April 16th, 2014, 5:05 pm

nrun90 wrote:
raindog wrote:Dont waste your time mate. People with MND will notice significant weakness and loss of grip before they even notice any wasting/atrophy. The fact you can pick up a camera and press the button to take pictures says a resounding NO

Thank you Raindog! Really appreciate you taking the time to comment. I've been more concienctious about which hand/arm I use and 9 times out of 10 I use my right. So I've been looking at my left more and trying to use it to do every day things. Turns out it's not very coordinated lol. But when I asked my friend last night about her left hand she said the same thing. Just have a quick question. Do people with MND notice pain before weakness/atrophy and all that? I guess for some reason that is my biggest concern. If I didn't have pain, I don't think the twitches would bother me. -Nick

Pain in ALS only comes with spasticity and your photos show nothing that not even remotely resembles spasticity because your fingers would curl and claw and be so stiff you would need assistance to straighten them. You will look back on this fixation when it eventually hits home you are in good shape and regret wasting so much time over nothing.
raindog
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group