Bad night

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Bad night

Postby Scboy on March 30th, 2014, 9:26 am

I twitched in seemed like every muscle from head to to last night. Hardly any sleep. Had to take an Ambien which I don't like to do. Still only slept 3 hrs. My legs are really going crazy. Is this something to worry about? I been twitching for 3.5 months. The fear is driving me nuts. My right leg feels a little weak along with the near constant twitching.

Any advice or insight is welcome. Thanks

Frank
Scboy
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Re: Bad night

Postby bobajojo on March 30th, 2014, 9:29 am

Frank,
I've had this crap for 3 years now. What you just described is a normal night with BFS for me. When I lay still, I can feel them absolutely everywhere. Too many to count. I feel like a human popcorn machine with all different types of twitches.
-Matt
Over 10 billion twitches since May 2011.
bobajojo
Saint
Saint

Postby nrwtwitcher on March 30th, 2014, 10:17 am

Dear Frank, I have the same. Exactly these nights, since 3 weeks.... And I am twitching since 6 months.
nrwtwitcher
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Scboy on March 30th, 2014, 10:32 am

I just wish I could know its nothing to worry about. It started Dec 16 and had a clean EMG Jan 2 but the twitching is definitely more frequent and widespread now.
Scboy
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby wjjw on March 30th, 2014, 12:30 pm

Scboy wrote:I just wish I could know its nothing to worry about. It started Dec 16 and had a clean EMG Jan 2 but the twitching is definitely more frequent and widespread now.

You can. If the twitching were from something serious abnormalities would have been seen. The fact that it increased after the EMG is irrelevant, BFS tends to have a mind of its own.

Cheers,
Bill
A knowledge of the existence of something we cannot penetrate, of the manifestations of the profoundest reason and the most radiant beauty, which are only accessible to our reason in their most elementary forms--Albert Einstein
wjjw
Saint
Saint

Postby emmie.s on March 30th, 2014, 1:09 pm

When I had my 2nd flare up this time last year I had the same issue with sleepless nights and when I did sleep, the twitches, anxiety and numb arms (my arms used to fall asleep all the time) woke me up like 6x a night. It's such a vicious cycle: I couldn't sleep due to the twitches, but the lack of sleep and resulting anxiety fueled them. It did get better, and prayers that it will get better for you too. They key for me was breaking the cycle and learning to ignore the twitches that pop here and there at night. Also, I benefitted from some TCM and acupuncture that helped me sleep, and I'm one of the folks who also benefitted from diet modification.
Good luck guys, I know how frustrated you must feel. Prayers your way that things will get better.
emmie.s
Hero
Hero

Postby Scboy on March 30th, 2014, 6:22 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone. It good to know I'm not alone with this. Just when I think I'm getting over this I get a flare up. Truly is unpredictable and my mind goes into a dark place when I start having symptoms.
I played golf yesterday and jogged only a mile. Could be the cause of my flare up.
Does anybody get tightness in their legs? My thighs are really tight and almost burn a little.
I tapered off Klonopin and took my last dose 17 days ago. I only took it off and on for three months. Maybe that has something to do with it also. Who knows.

Thanks,
Frank
Scboy
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby ShawnW on March 31st, 2014, 9:32 am

All the above may have contributed to your flare up. Benzodiazepine withdraw will activate the nervous system. Sports while under much stress can cause pain and perceived weakness through overuse syndromes not to mention cause more twitching in many of those with BFS.
ShawnW
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Scboy on March 31st, 2014, 11:05 am

Thanks for your comments, ShawnW. I was having problems with insomnia and anxiety after quitting nicotine. With a business trip to China coming up the dr gave me the benzos to help with sleep and anxiety. I was skeptical at the time, but the doc said he has never had any trouble getting patients off so I took the medicine. Best sleep ever. I only took about 10 times. I stopped and the twitches started about a week later. Then i took the benzos again for two months. I suspect the medicine has something to do with it, but who knows. That and the fact I still sleep like crap.
Taking benzos is like getting a new credit card with higher interest to pay off another credit card. Sure it buys you some time, but doesn't solve anything and has potential to cause a much greater problem. Bad idea in my opinion.
There are people that say they twitched for years after getting off benzos. I suspect for me maybe a perfect storm of my predisposition to twitching, lack of sleep, and medication. So to add to my insomnia I have these lovely twitches to deal with. I hope and pray that it will get better.
Scboy
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group