Widespread twitching then bulbar onset

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Widespread twitching then bulbar onset

Postby DaveCH on March 21st, 2014, 12:04 pm

Have been twitching 4 months and had a clean clinical at 3 months and told I have bfs. My twitching has improved to about 10 pops a day and they could be anywhere. The last 10 days I have had a dry throat and slightly blocked nose ad a slightly nasal voice although my wife says it sounds the same. No speaking problems or swallowing problems. Does bulbar start with widespread twitching and move to the bulbar region. Surely if that happened I would have weakness issues in my limbs first. Do you all think this sounds like a cold or allergy ? I find it hard to breath through my nose and my wife says I have been snoring
DaveCH

Re: Widespread twitching then bulbar onset

Postby MarioMangler on March 21st, 2014, 12:14 pm

No bulbar does not start that way, and if you looked at this without health anxiety, any normal person would point out that it sounds like you caught a cold.
BFS FAQ:
1. No, that's not bulbar
2. No, the location doesn't matter
3. Yes, we have all had that symptom
4. No, you're not the exception
5. No, that's not ominous
6. No, you don't need an EMG
7. Yes, you will be fine
MarioMangler
Saint
Saint

Postby bobajojo on March 21st, 2014, 1:54 pm

10 pops a day isn't even BFS. I don't remember the last time I had fewer than 10 pops in a minute.
Over 10 billion twitches since May 2011.
bobajojo
Saint
Saint

Postby Yuliasir on March 21st, 2014, 2:10 pm

widespread twitching then the spring cold ;)))
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby veryworried123 on March 21st, 2014, 5:01 pm

I dream of only having 10 pops a day

I have 10 a minute
veryworried123
Hero
Hero

Postby ShawnW on March 23rd, 2014, 12:49 pm

No, bulbar doesn't start that way. It's actually the exact opposite. You start with weakness of the mouth area, then usually months later fasiculations. If you had wide spread fasiculations due to ***, you would be unable to speak and have significant weakness of limbs.
ShawnW
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby DaveCH on March 26th, 2014, 5:59 am

Thanks everyone. What you said makes sense Shawn, however with the current posts from TDDenver this is causing me great concern. Yes i started with widespread fasc and this nasal voice etc started after 4 months of twitching but I havent had an emg and I am now worried that because this nasal voice issue wasnt there at my neuro exam that this is progression.
DaveCH

Postby ShawnW on March 26th, 2014, 7:02 am

DaveCH wrote:Thanks everyone. What you said makes sense Shawn, however with the current posts from TDDenver this is causing me great concern. Yes i started with widespread fasc and this nasal voice etc started after 4 months of twitching but I havent had an emg and I am now worried that because this nasal voice issue wasnt there at my neuro exam that this is progression.

I stand by what I said. It's supported by some of the finest neurologists in the world who specialize in MND. These are not my opinions but the opinions of experts in the field. Did you know a cough can be a sign of lung cancer? If you cough does that mean you have it? No. This is allergy season. My voice is very nasally especially this time of year. Then there are perception issues when we are anxious. Personally, I notice all sorts of things only when I'm anxious about my voice. If this TD case turns out to be some sort of ultra rare slow onset bulbar thing, that doesn't mean you have it. Voice, speech, swallowing issues are very common amongst anxious folks. That is a better explanation for most of our symptoms.
ShawnW
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby DaveCH on March 26th, 2014, 7:11 am

Well my wife said last night that the last few weeks my snoring has been keeping her awake which has never happened before which would indicate my nose is blocked. The blocking changed throughout the day from one nostril to the other and my 6 year old who has had a cold for a few weeks is still coughing. It's crazy how when filled with anxiety rational thinking goes out the window. Am I right is saying Denver starting with slurring and extreme fatigue before fascia. I don't have any swallowing or slurring problems
DaveCH

Postby ShawnW on March 26th, 2014, 7:28 am

DaveCH wrote:Well my wife said last night that the last few weeks my snoring has been keeping her awake which has never happened before which would indicate my nose is blocked. The blocking changed throughout the day from one nostril to the other and my 6 year old who has had a cold for a few weeks is still coughing. It's crazy how when filled with anxiety rational thinking goes out the window. Am I right is saying Denver starting with slurring and extreme fatigue before fascia. I don't have any swallowing or slurring problems

I can say that your nose being blocked up isn't a sign of ***. The pollen counts around here are crazy...my nose is blocked up too. Check your PMs, I sent you one.
ShawnW
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby cecsix on April 10th, 2014, 9:00 pm

If you had bulbar, why would the twitching improve after only a few months? With a l s, the twitching slows down and stops only when there is no muscle left to twitch. Relax. Find something to take your mind off this. You have nothing to worry about, in my non-professional but experienced twitcher opinion.
cecsix

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group