Facial twitch - MS scare

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Facial twitch - MS scare

Postby jerseygirl on March 12th, 2014, 5:20 pm

Hi all, I posted a few days ago about facial twitch, but anxiety is intensifying about MS. My neuro, who is very well aware of my medical anxiety, saw a video of my new facial twitch in between my lip and chin, and said if it continues for a couple of weeks, that he wants me to get an MRI to check for MS. I had an MRI two years ago but guess that may be too long to feel good about the negative results. I also have numbness in my hand, pinky and arm on the same side along with internal tremors but have become accustomed to all of that and accepted it as BFS.

Looking for some comfort since I am really starting to think this is what all my problems could be and sadly would make sense. I am trying to make myself feel better thinking that I have heard that you can live a full life with MS but still scared. Has anyone had a similar experience/similar symptoms and have any knowledge to share??
jerseygirl
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Re: Facial twitch - MS scare

Postby Watereddown on March 12th, 2014, 7:59 pm

I thought the common ideology here was fasiculations are generally not associated with MS as the anterior horn cells are not affected for the most part. A BFS twitch is a BFS twitch. I've had them everywhere. Some persistent for weeks where as others leave as fast as they came. Lately my right tricep has been going rampage with twitching. I just try to ignore it.
Watereddown

Postby jerseygirl on March 12th, 2014, 8:52 pm

That's what I thought but he called it a "facial myokymia" which is common with ms. I also have numbness in my hand and internal trembling in the upper part of the same arm but I have had all that for the last two years and when I had the MRI. I thought a myokymia was a twitch?? I just don't know anymore just know I am frightened. . .again.
jerseygirl
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Watereddown on March 12th, 2014, 10:11 pm

I'm sure if you use the search bar, you will find plenty with the same complaints here. There was even a post here from a neurologist who said facial myokymia (sp?) was benign and a result of anxiety/stress.
Watereddown

Postby jerseygirl on March 12th, 2014, 10:20 pm

Really?? I have been searching and found more negative than positive so am happy to hear that and will keep searching. Have seen a lot of comments that facial myokmia can be a sign of ms. Unfortunately I also have numbness in my hand and internal tremors in my arm. Only good thing I think is that I have had all those symptoms for almost two years now ...all except this new facial twitch. I so appreciate your input.
jerseygirl
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Watereddown on March 12th, 2014, 11:13 pm

Has your hand been numb for 2 weeks straight? Or is it somewhat of a transient numbness that comes and goes? Neurologists are only interested about numbness if it doesnt leave, as this can be an indication of a pinched nerve, or lesions, which I'm sure you already know.

As far as internal vibrations, those are very VERY common here. i don't want to be so anecdotal but i feel them all the time. Also regarding facial myokymia (sp?) i usualy get nose twitches that last for a week or so off and on. Those were actually my first presenting symptoms of BFS, was my nose twitching.
Watereddown

Postby jerseygirl on March 12th, 2014, 11:21 pm

You are making me feel so much better. . .thank you. My numbness, thankfully, comes and goes for the last two years. As a matter of fact, I just looked back to a diary I was keeping and saw that I kept repeating over and over again, right hand/pinky numb, upper right arm internal vibrations. The facial twitch between my lower lip and chin also comes and goes and from what I have seen posted here, ms facial twitch is one that covers a whole side almost? Mine is a very small spot and so subtle. Can you tell I am trying to desperately find things to make myself feel better?

I guess the thing that is throwing me is that my neuro knows how this neurological stuff scares me and usually blows things off right away but this time he became thoughtful after seeing the twitch and then told me to wait two weeks before we he possibly wants to do an mri.
jerseygirl
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Watereddown on March 12th, 2014, 11:37 pm

The pinky numbness is most likely coming from inflammation of the ulnar nerve. You probably feel the numbness upon waking up, or when leaning on your elbow. This too is a very common thing here. It's most likely due to stress and the inflammation our body triggers to combat the anxieties and stress we are imposing on ourselves. I know this because I wake up every morning to my ring and pinky fingers numb on both hands. It's safe to say our nerves are not happy, and adapting an anti-inflammatory diet (the same diet doctors prescribe to patients with MS) will probably do wonders. Unfortunately, it's been rather difficult for me to pick one up myself but I am trying
Watereddown

Postby jerseygirl on March 12th, 2014, 11:41 pm

Yes! That does happen. . .many mornings I wake up and have to shake my hands out. .. if you know of or come across a diet like that please pass it on. My nerves are definitely unhappy. . . .
jerseygirl
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Watereddown on March 12th, 2014, 11:52 pm

A simple google search will get you great results.

And by the looks of it, I can tell there is plenty of anxiety you are battling right now. Whenever I find myself panicking, I always think back to the times where i was panicking before, but in a day or 2, everything was fine and normal. If you were to tell me 8 months ago when this all started for me that in 8 months you'll be dealing with the same issues, but none have progressed to the point of being dx'd with anything, then I would be happy and live my life! It's just the "what if" that worries everyone here on this board. Like, what if im part of the 5% that has negative initial MRI's yet still have MS? Your fears are understood, but at the same time, given you've been dealing with this for 2 years now, chances are extremely in your favor it is just BFS.
Watereddown

Postby Yuliasir on March 13th, 2014, 12:02 am

jerseygirl,
as for hand numbness after night: the reason might be your bed and pillow.
Few month ago I started to have awful hand numbness and pain in my back after night wich virtually prevent me from sleeping well. So I found that sleeping in a breasfeeding pillow helps a lot and later found that changing soft pillow for hard one (filled with the buckweet seed shells, so it is hard eough but still not like a stone) and placing it under the neck not under the head practically removed both hand numbness and back pain. so I do not use breastfeeding pillow now (it is extreamply soft and gives a lot of pleasure but also a bit clumsy and scares my hubby ;) )

So you may try various arrangement of pillows and see what is right for you.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby mwagner on March 13th, 2014, 10:27 am

I googled for you (since googling is not a good thing in general):

This is the definition of Facial Myokemia. I'm SO surprised your neurologist doesn't really get the difference. Might want to find a new one :)

Facial myokymia is characterised by spontaneous, continuous, firne, involuntary undulating waves (ripples) of spreading muscle contraction across one side of the face, 'like a parallel moving army of cutaneous earthworms'.

That is NOT what you have!!!!

And lip/facial twitching is usually the most benign of them all....
mwagner
Saint
Saint

Postby Tiber2011 on March 13th, 2014, 11:20 am

I want to add that if the numbness isn't transient, and spreads, that's not BFS, But don't make your numbness do that.

Do you feel tingly on your hands? Maybe you need to do deep breathing to get more Co2 into your bloodstream.

How do you sleep? How do you position yourself at work?

I feel shakiness/quivering in my face at times...but thankfully no ripples. Sometimes having soup or tea calms my face down when that happens.
Tiber2011
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby RobJ on March 16th, 2014, 9:39 am

Find another neurologist.

Requesting an MRI for facial twist is just irresponsible.

You'd need a lot more symptoms than what you have to order an MRI.
RobJ

Postby jerseygirl on March 16th, 2014, 11:07 am

Thanks Rob. He actually reviewed my clean MRI from two years ago and called and said to hold off. Thank you for that and yes, I would agree with what you said.
jerseygirl
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Next

Return to The Support Group