Neuroscience News, Fear, Neck Pain, Spinal Cord?

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Neuroscience News, Fear, Neck Pain, Spinal Cord?

Postby InvisibleTwitches on March 6th, 2014, 2:31 pm

Happy Thursday to all of the great people of AboutBFS,

I just read a story about new findings of ALS at NeuroscienceNews.com, and I will share the post below, although I urge those with much anxiety as I have to perhaps not read it.

Those who have been here for a while know me and my battle with OCD and Anxiety well. I have been here for 3 years now, and have made great progression with my fears, anxiety, and ocd. I dare say I even had a year of 2013 that was full of happiness, though still fears.

I have BFS symptoms: Eye Twitches, Calf Twitches, Hot Spots, Hand/Finger Pain, Joint Stiffness, and have had twitches of vary degrees all over my body in countless locations at some point over the past 3 years. I have come to grips with that!!

What I also suffer from, and what SCARES ME MOST, as related to this article, is BACK/NECK PAIN. So much so that when I awake in the morning, I hear what sounds like CRICKETS, or that feeling when you are hungry and your STOMACH GROWLS, in my NECK.....I hear that and feel it. Actually, if I awake HUNGRY, I feel and hear my stomach growl and it goes up into my neck -- a very unusual sensation, and it scares me. I worry that this is going to cause LONG TERM DAMAGE, that these "AIR BUBBLES" as the CHIRO called them will start messing up my SPINAL CORD, my Nervous System. Couple that with the ANXIETY I HAVE LIVED with, which was very very bad for a good YEAR stretch, almost 24/7, and then I read today's article.....

http://neurosciencenews.com/als-genetic ... s-dna-830/

New findings reveal how a mutation, a change in the genetic code that causes neurodegeneration, alters the shape of DNA, making cells more vulnerable to stress and more likely to die.
.... STRESS

And...
In ALS, the muscle-activating neurons in the spinal cord die, eventually causing paralysis. In FTD neurons in particular brain areas die leading to progressive loss of cognitive abilities.
SPINAL CORD.

What should I do? I have this NECK ISSUE, the AIR BUBBLES and such, the noise when I wake up, that could very well be affecting my Spinal Cord. I am very scared, I am very worried, and I need help, insight, knowledge, and perhaps the suggestion to see a Neuro again for the 1st time in over 2 1/2 years. I don't know. :cry: :? :(
InvisibleTwitches
Hero
Hero

Re: Neuroscience News, Fear, Neck Pain, Spinal Cord?

Postby TwitchyDoc on March 6th, 2014, 2:52 pm

In the article, I have not read that and I am not a native English speaker but I am quite sure that by "Stress" they do not mean psychological stress! By stress they mean the strain caused by the functioning of the cell with its metabolic waste etc. There is no way that could link psychological stress to molecural levels :)

EDIT: Just read that and of course it is as I said: They postulate that abnormal distribution of nucleolin causes cells to become stressed and more likely to die, which can result in the pathology associated with ALS and FTD.

What is so special about the spinal cord that you wrote it in bold? Of course ALS affects spinal cord (and brain stem and motor cortex along with other system, as recently discovered), it is motor neuron disease but I really do not follow how this scared you..you have known that already.

For your neck issues - if there are some as your chiro mentioned - go for the MRI. Might be something structural but certainly nothing related to ALS.
Last edited by TwitchyDoc on March 6th, 2014, 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TwitchyDoc
Saint
Saint

Postby Scaredlin on March 6th, 2014, 2:56 pm

Yeah, I am as scared as they come right now and that article didn't bother me. We know that all diseases are caused by stressed genes that go haywire. Nothing new.

And by the way, my main issue is back/neck stiff ness soreness/knots that wont respond to ANY treatment either and i have convinced myself its my spinal cord dying too. You are 2.5 yrs into this - you are FINE. Im only 2 months into this.

DON"T WORRY!
Scaredlin

Postby Watereddown on March 7th, 2014, 5:31 am

Hey,

I also get the airbubble sensation noise thing in the back of the neck. It started a couple months ago or something. It's really weird. I notice it the most when laying down in my bed. And I'm not a professional or anything, but I don't know if this should be too concerning. At first it freaked me out, but now i tend to ignore it. It's been about 8 months with my twitching
Watereddown

Postby Watereddown on March 7th, 2014, 5:39 am

And if you're wondering how many other people have this complaint, visit this link: (don't worry, it's safe)

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Neurology/ ... 709?page=1
Watereddown

Postby Watereddown on March 7th, 2014, 5:48 am

Oh yeah I forgot to add--

Snap out of it buddy, you're fine
Watereddown

Postby ShawnW on March 7th, 2014, 6:50 am

Honestly, I had never heard of this symptom...the fizzies. Funny that one poster linked it to a chiari malformation. To the original poster have you had an MRI of your neck or head? That certainly could explain some of your symptoms. While I attribute much of what we experience to anxiety...there are some real physical causes for some of us as well. It just doesn't happen to be the scary one.
ShawnW
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Yuliasir on March 7th, 2014, 9:00 am

Hoooly creepy crap again, Ryan

you HAD NECK TRAUMA. What the hell do you think about it?
Cracking in the neck (no matter in the morning or not) is not dangerus, many people have that, I do have it, John has, Mary has it too.
Yes ALS affects spinal cord (actually not all but so called anterior horn) so what?????

As Docen noted, you messed up methabolic stress with the psychological one and voila!

sometimes I think you DREAM about the day when someone will come to you and say: YES YES ALS!
and you will feel that you did not wasted your young years for nothing but wasted for something. Like diagnosis may justify your behaviour.

by the way I do not see that you fight with OCD - firt of all becasue you do not follow information hygiene rules, you just survive one flareup, and another one, and another one... this is not a planned treatment, this is just following the OCD pathway.
it is like an alcoholic would say - I fight my alcoholism until i got a shot yesterday...

sorry for being bitter.
but i follow you up for over 2 years now and really do not see any major improvement beyond the normal course of survival with untreated OCD:(((( it is sad becasue you would not always survive it in such easy way... and sometimes you will need to plan, schedule and follow... sometimes.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby InvisibleTwitches on March 7th, 2014, 12:55 pm

Watereddown,

Thank you for that medhelp link, that was unbelievable, so many people having the same sensation/symptoms....the "fizzies." That is amazing because that is exactly what I have been feeling. Amazing as well that you feel the same thing. How do you cope? It freaks me out....especially after reading about the Brain/Spinal Fluid and stuff...... :oops: I really hope it isn't Arnold–Chiari malformation.

TwitchyDoc,

Thank you
For your neck issues - if there are some as your chiro mentioned - go for the MRI. Might be something structural but certainly nothing related to ALS.
Just waiting on my insurance to come, I want to go to a chiro -- it has been months and also seek some more therapy for anxiety + OCD, maybe get some anti-anxiety meds

ShawnW,

Back in 2010, a few months after being rear-ended in a car accident, I had an MRI of my Brain and an EMG on the left side of my body -- all was well at the time.

Yuliasir,

It is ok, you and all others who have put up with me for so long have more than the right to be stern, aggressive and blunt with me. It embarrasses me as well, and I often run here for answers despite my embarrassment. For all you have done for me, all the great advise, I am grateful and indebted! Yet, no no no I do not want this
sometimes I think you DREAM about the day when someone will come to you and say: YES YES ALS!
and you will feel that you did not wasted your young years for nothing but wasted for something. Like diagnosis may justify your behaviour.
I think a large part of my new anxiety is this "FRIZZIE" sensation coupled with my belief that I was reading to read more and learn more about NMD's, ALS, The Brain, Neuroscience, etc. etc. when in fact it has shown that I am not ready for that. When my new insurance kicks in -- this Obama Care is taking forever -- I will again seek proper outlets and people to talk to, I know I need that. I was on the right path but then my job changed, no insurance, etc. etc. And I agree with this
it is like an alcoholic would say - I fight my alcoholism until i got a shot yesterday...
And what follows will be like an alcoholic saying, "well it was only one beer..." Because reading about the Spinal Fluid, etc. etc coupled with my Neck "frizzies," coupled with the reading about new studies on ALS, etc. it was/is just too much for me. I have made the correlation that because I am having this Spinal Neck thing maybe I it is damaging my Brain Cells, my Spinal Functioning, etc. etc. But as you say
Cracking in the neck (no matter in the morning or not) is not dangerus, many people have that, I do have it, John has, Mary has it too.
Yes ALS affects spinal cord (actually not all but so called anterior horn) so what?????

I apologize for my increased presence here, especially with this latest fear. And trust me, I do not wish to overstay my welcome. This place has saved me in many a dark time. :oops:
InvisibleTwitches
Hero
Hero

Postby Yuliasir on March 7th, 2014, 1:07 pm

Oh, had no idea to blame you, Ryan!
I always forget that you need things like insurance to take care about essential medical things (while I still may just call to my therapist and pay him quite a moderate fee - a benefit to live in the Third world country with less formalization)...

Just remember that our condition is really similar to alcoholism (as part of it is blunt physical dependance on high dosage of adrenaline). I feel the same FRIZZZZZZZZZ sensation when I try not to read political news theese days and can nto stop myself and get DOWN and had to call to my therapist and barely could work...

so in fact any publicly available antialcoholic program might be helpful, I wonder if there is something like Anonimous Hypochondriacs :)))
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby InvisibleTwitches on March 11th, 2014, 12:29 pm

Thank You Yuliasir,

I feel the same FRIZZZZZZZZZ sensation when I try not to read political news theese days
haha I agree!

Yes, this insurance thing out here is very slow moving, I applied 2 months ago now. I can't wait until I get it!

I think my biggest issues parallels how this fare all began in the 1st place: the proximity of the sensation.

For example, way back in 2010 when I first started freaking out, it all began with an eye twitch. An ever present twitch, its location inescapable. I became used to it, and now I may it no mind when an eye twitch comes back around.

Yet, this NECK THING.....it is everyday. Every morning. When I run or lift. Its location -- by my brain, spinal cord, neck, -- provides me great fear and its constant greetings do as well.

I am trying my best, I really am, but the more I read about the NECK FLUID, Spinal Fluid, etc. the more scared I become....that something is wrong. :oops:
InvisibleTwitches
Hero
Hero

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group