No neuropathy but Now stabbing/burning feet/ankles

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

No neuropathy but Now stabbing/burning feet/ankles

Postby Scaredlin on March 3rd, 2014, 12:23 pm

Yeah, another post from me. Did everyone feel in the beginning like their BFS was progressing into something worse?

Two weeks post EMG and Im not sleeping b/c of nasty stabbing, burning pains at the tips of my toes, all over ankles, arches, etc. Both feet. Spread ups the legs a bit. A little bit on the right hand too. A little crampy feeling too. I feel uncomfortable in my sneakers today too, the muscles and bones aches as if they had been through hell last night (and they were).

HIghly doubt I developed a peripheral neuropathy in the last two weeks since the EMG. This is CRAZINESS. It sends me back to square one. I feel like I am deteriorating, which of course bring the mind back to **S. These aren't **S symptoms, are they? Can BFS cause neuropathy feelings without the neuropathy? The pain is terrible. Ive magnesiumed and calciumed and vitamin D'd myself to death. I can't do this anymore guys, I can't I tell you I can't. It feels like something awful is going on and Ive had every blood test and other test known to man. Im losing my mind.

I was able to work out today, just to prove to myself that Im not weak. Im not, but its on my mind constantly. This is so hellish.
Scaredlin

Re: No neuropathy but Now stabbing/burning feet/ankles

Postby UFGatorGuy20 on March 5th, 2014, 8:38 am

Hi Lin,

First... always remember &LS isnt something you feel, its something you cant do. None of what you describe are &LS symptoms.

Second, I just had my first EMG last Thursday in my upper extremities. Since then Ive had the worst discomfort and pain in my hands, forearms, elbows, and upper back. Google "pain after EMG" and you will see its as if the nerve conduction firing or EMG sends us into a relapse. Im right there with you. Very frustrating.

Always remember our nerves are sensitive and take a long time to heel. Stay positive. Focus on anything good around you. Get lost in some music, a movie, a walk... whatever.

Im hoping we both improve!
UFGatorGuy20

Postby Martini on March 5th, 2014, 9:42 am

UFGatorGuy20 wrote:Hi Lin,
Second, I just had my first EMG last Thursday in my upper extremities. Since then Ive had the worst discomfort and pain in my hands, forearms, elbows, and upper back. Google "pain after EMG" and you will see its as if the nerve conduction firing or EMG sends us into a relapse. Im right there with you. Very frustrating.

I'm going to have my 1st EMG soon and you experience seems useful for me. Can you explain when such feelings after EMG starts and how long they will last?
Martini

Postby Scboy on March 5th, 2014, 1:17 pm

I'm not a doctor just a dumb engineer, but I know from personal experience and some trial and error that Klonopin can cause the burning and paresthesia that you are describing. Mine began happening after I was in tolerance (3weeks)and began having daily withdrawals which was causing the parethesia. This is when I decide to taper off the drug cause I'm not going down the benzo addiction road. My symptoms have improved significantly since. Also, be sure to stay well hydrated. Again I'm not a doctor so don't take this in the place of a doctor's advice. This has just been my experience. Your situation maybe different. There is a website called benzobuddies.org that is a good resource for Klonopin.
Scboy
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby mwagner on March 5th, 2014, 2:42 pm

I have this too, but only occasionally. Sometimes it's horribly painful, especially the stabbing/bee sting feelings I will get in my feet. I think some of us might have idiopathic (I hope!) Small Fiber Neuropathy, which they would need to take a skin biopsy to see. This definitely has nothing to do with &LS, so at least you can get that off your mind.

I'm over 2.5 years into all of this, so I just attribute this to having messed up nerves both motor and sensory - for some reason. I think that's what BFS is.

Mitra
mwagner
Saint
Saint

Postby UFGatorGuy20 on March 6th, 2014, 10:24 am

Martini wrote:
UFGatorGuy20 wrote:Hi Lin,

I'm going to have my 1st EMG soon and you experience seems useful for me. Can you explain when such feelings after EMG starts and how long they will last?

EMG impacts vary by person. I've seen accounts where MS patients were literally thrown into a full blown relapse after their nerve testing. Others recover over a few days. The first day after my test was the worst. I couldn't believe how much I just ached in my hands, forearms, bicepts, triceps, shoulders, and upper back. That was a week ago today. It got better over the next few days. I worked out two days in a row, so I'm hoping what I feel now is not related to the EMG and just my workouts. I need to learn that I can't over exert myself at the gym.
UFGatorGuy20

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group