New York Times Article

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Re: New York Times Article

Postby RobJ on March 4th, 2014, 6:25 pm

Read up.......I guarantee it will help.

Being patronized and told everything is OK doesn't work, not for people thinking their dieing of a dreaded disease.

The more you educate yourself the more information you'll have.

Silly not to read up on. Denial is a mental illness, sort of like closing your eyes prior to someone hitting you so it might go away.

I've decided to post after many many years of watching because I'm tired of these people telling everyone everything will be ok...........that never works. Never ever works. You have to take the bull by the horns yourself and face it straight on.
RobJ

Postby MarioMangler on March 4th, 2014, 7:32 pm

Well unless everyone here -will- be okay. Then it is quite effective.
BFS FAQ:
1. No, that's not bulbar
2. No, the location doesn't matter
3. Yes, we have all had that symptom
4. No, you're not the exception
5. No, that's not ominous
6. No, you don't need an EMG
7. Yes, you will be fine
MarioMangler
Saint
Saint

Postby SecretAgentMan on March 4th, 2014, 8:20 pm

I'm guilty as charged of being in the 'everything will be OK' camp, because I truly believe it to be so. I think the issue here though is that 'OK' is a relative term. One man's definition of 'OK' may differ from another's, all the while they might be assuming they are talking about the same thing. People have this sort of disconnect all the time and they are usually both wondering what the other person is smoking. To clarify my definition of 'OK' is a big picture all encompassing spiritual level. No, I'm not getting religious here. I'm just talking about my view on what is important in life. For example, you can walk into a children's cancer ward at the hospital and find truly and genuinely happy kids. You can find people that have had to put up with incredible difficulties and handicaps their entire lives living more happily and fully than people blessed with perfect health who freak out about every little thing that doesn't go their way. Perspective is everything in determining whether we are OK or not. Perspective is a choice though and this choice is ALWAYS ours to make. When we place our happiness contingent on things outside of our control, we are just giving our power away. That's a choice we make though.

I could get into my beliefs further on why I think everything will be OK for everyone here, but it would only be my perspective and my 2 cents. Really all that we are responsible for is what choice we decide to make for ourselves. I choose to be happy and it has had a profound impact on my life. It is not denial to look at what is and decide that you will not give it power over your happiness. That is self empowerment. Someone that is empowered is far more likely to exert an influence on their life and the lives of others for the positive than someone who is living in fear and anger. Our emotions have power behind them too, and the positive ones are far more influential than the negative ones. There is some very interesting science to back this up as well.

So with all of that being said, when I tell people that everything will be OK I am being as completely honest as I can be. In the big picture I believe they will be.
If your mind is your own worst enemy, why not make friends with it and turn it into your greatest ally? Mental discipline is achievable and there is help available. Learn what works for you, practice, and change your life for the better.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Postby InvisibleTwitches on March 6th, 2014, 2:22 pm

Thanks SecretAgentMan and Mario,

In all other avenues of life I tend to have a positive attitude and set of beliefs. I just seemingly lost track of that with this particular fear -- and I want to get it back. I am about to start another thread, because I just read a post at NeuroscienceNews.com that has me in a circle of anxiety and fear, and it is truly testing all of the progress I have made in my battle with OCD, ANXIETY and my fear and belief that I will soon come down with ***. :x
InvisibleTwitches
Hero
Hero

Postby RachelLee on March 14th, 2014, 9:21 pm

Wow, this is definitely the most informative forum I've ever read/been on! Thanks everyone who participates on these things and contributes information. I've really learned a lot of interesting facts and theories. It's really a relief to finally NOT be scared of learning about what BFS is, along with other conditions.
"For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind."
2 Timothy 1:7
RachelLee

Sponsor

Sponsor

Previous

Return to The Support Group