Hey Folks, my jets need cooling, HELP!!!

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Hey Folks, my jets need cooling, HELP!!!

Postby thedeu on February 26th, 2014, 10:49 am

Hey everyone,

So I'm in my leasing office, sitting down with my left forearm pressed on the desk in front of me, when all of the sudden my left hand starts tremoring with a bouncing motion. I lift my arm up and it stops. Assume the same position and it occurs again.

Boom, my mind goes from 0-100 in seconds with anxiety. The past couple of weeks my left forearm has been twitching bigtime, enough to make my left hand fingers move. If that wasn't triggering my mind to go haywire enough, I've been experiencing globus, and have this persistent feeling of an air bubble or something being stuck in my throat, that comes and goes, and a prolonged cough that steroids and inhalers have failed to alleviate. I've been so preoccupied with Bulbar onset of or limb onset ALS when all of these symptoms began over a year ago, so when I start to add it all up I end up down the road of ALS. Everything from body wide fasciculations, to focusing on my speech patterns and pronounciation and swallowing has become a very unhealthy obsession.

That being said, I did have a 2nd emg of the left arm and my neuro took it upon himself to do an emg of the right arm. Everything was clean, at which point he felt that ALS could be taken off the table.

So I need someone to set me straight. Put me into a reality check, and virtually slap me. Thanks in advance.
thedeu
Interested
Interested

Re: Hey Folks, my jets need cooling, HELP!!!

Postby marvan on February 26th, 2014, 12:21 pm

That is crazy, my left arm/hand did the exact same thing a few weeks ago in our kitchen, my wife kind of looked at it and laughed. I also have had odd throat things that sent me down the roller coaster again.

I've gotten close to back to BFS normal again. I'm sure it's totally normal BFS, but I know where you are at. Please don't let it bring you down and waste any more time on it.

I read a post some while back about BFS being a 3 year old that wants attention, and once you ignore it, it tries to find some other way to get attention. It's totally true.
marvan

Postby thedeu on February 26th, 2014, 12:29 pm

Thanks Marvan...I'm truly doing my level best to keep it together. Its when I start thinking about my kids that really gets me going. I appreciate the advice. Thanks for the speedy response.
thedeu
Interested
Interested

Postby Little Lost on February 27th, 2014, 10:09 am

Hi

You say you taking inhalers and stuff,. Ventolin (salbutamol), lists muscle twitches as a side effect if too much is taken. When my asthma is bad I puff away on it , multidosing (bad I know), but it does increase the locations and strength of my twitches. Just a thought. Also it was a month for my last steroid inhaler to start working, Took weeks instead of days for my peak flow to increase again. Think that is the nature of asthma, rather than an ominous sign of resp onset ALS which only accounts for 3% of all ALS cases.
Hx
Little Lost
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Xina535 on February 27th, 2014, 1:57 pm

Hi - maybe some points to remember, which have been mentioned on this board and quoted from top notch neurologists:

- symptoms with A** does not come and go
- clean EMG = you're ok
- twitching in A** is not body wide, but starts in a single body part AND even more important, it comes after true clinical weakness sets in (like where you can no longer move or lift stuff) - twitching with A** is not the first symptom
- if your symptoms began over a year ago, and you truly had A**, you'd be in a wheelchair by now
- A** is rare, and bulbar onset even rarer, so your chance of having it is practically null, when combining with the sypmtoms you actually have

I hope that helps!
I wish I can help with your anxiety, but I am in the same boat. I SO know what you mean about 0-100 and panic and obsessing. Been there so many times. Maybe it helps to know that others know exactly how you feel and what you are going through.
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Postby thedeu on February 27th, 2014, 4:18 pm

Xina & Little Lost...you two are rock stars! Thanks for the words of encouragement!
thedeu
Interested
Interested

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group