Positive IGG Antibody (ANA) - please help me!! Anyone!!

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Re: Positive IGG Antibody (ANA) - please help me!! Anyone!!

Postby Xina535 on April 9th, 2014, 5:22 am

Hi All, well I had my xray of my lower spine = NOTHING! It did not show any sign of compressed nerve, no spondylosis...the only thing it showed was that my lower back curves slightly to the right (but no scoliosis) and that my lower back curves inward somewhat. So, I don't have any answers actually.

He sent me for an MRI now since he now wants to look at the soft tissue, like my discs, to try to find a "irritated nerve root". He said that if the shot he gave me helped me, then he believes there is an irritated nerve root. BUT he said that muscle twitching is "no good" and if one neurologist said "BFS" but I want a second opinion, he gave me the name of a different neuro to visit. I asked him about that EMG machine he has in his office, and he said it is not the same as an EMG at a neuro office, his just shows the surface of the muscles through patches. He said he would not recommend that as a test for me at this point. I told him about my upper body symptoms with dexterity issues in my hands, weak/heavy arms, and he said he will do an X-ray of my neck when he reviews my MRI results of my lower back. He manipulated my shoulders and neck a bit and said they seem to be OK.

I don't know what to think!!?? I am back in my gray circle. Why the painful, hardened left thigh muscle, with major twitching (which was aggravated by the physio massage I recently received) if there wasn't anything to see on the x-ray? What if the MRI shows nothing? What could be happening to my thigh if not due to an irritated nerve root?

Now there are more baby steps to take. MRI on MAY 26th, new neuro appt on MAY 27th and then another visit with the orthopedic doc to review the MRI and xray of neck sometime after that.

A question from what I am fearing right now the most: If my back muscles were weakening (which I am fearing they are and it could be due to ... ), wouldn't it show on the xray? Ex: wouldn't my lower spine have shown as being compressed or something else if my back muscles were weak and not supporting my spine properly?
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Postby Yuliasir on April 9th, 2014, 7:14 am

Well, 2D Xray shows only partly what is going on in your body. CT or 3d Xray might say more but usually it is not considered for such cases.
Another thing to note is that degree of disk protrusion/spine dislocation DOES NOT CORRESPOND with the level of pain/symptomes incase of compression trauma, as it was recently agreed as medical consensus :)))) I believe this is becasue nerve routes are too much individual and even if your lumbar Xray does not indicate dislocation, it still may compress your nerve enough to get symptomes.

So,
MRI which shows your soft tissue (particularly nerves) might show more clear picture of your suspected compression. Also nerve could be compressed by muscles too. But please remember that MRI results depend also on the number of 'sections' which apparatus is able to read and on the intensity of the magnetic fields.

The fact that injection had helped, and even the fact that massage had increased twitches rather indicate compression trauma than enything else.

Xina,
people with weak muscles show 100% vice versa picture on Xray. I had read about the girl with myastenia, and she needed extreme spinal surgery (with bars incerted to keep spine strait) otherwise she will die due to compression of heart and lungs becasue her spine could not hold straight.

Our spine is not able to stay straight as itself, without muscle support. That is why Mr. Hocking is so incredibly crooked even in his wheelchair - his muscles are dead and his spine can not keep the form.
The fact you DO NOT HAVE even scoliosis (so frequetn now) means your back muscles are in excellent physical shape.

Xina. doctor had tested your upper limbs and said you are OK. You may see on the TDenver story for example that if the patient is NOT OK, doctors usually note that during clinical exam, and would not tell you are OK while you are not.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby Xina535 on April 9th, 2014, 2:59 pm

Hi Yuliasir, you say you are not a doctor but you sure should be! Thanks for your thoughts about this. I will write you a PM to make sure I understood what you wrote. It went over my head a bit. :oops: :oops:
About the doctors - I know they all say I am ok, and maybe I am ok right now, but my problem (or one of the many problems I have) is waiting to see what is to come, and waiting for the tests, and that I don't FEEL ok. And I feel even more like CRAP knowing that there are those as TDenver who are in worse states and I am over here whining about my leg and a CLEAN spine x-ray. I feel like I am taking crazy pills and feel like I should admit myself to the psycho ward (again). Yes I was there one before, unfortunately.

Does make me wonder if anyone else on here ever lost control due to panic/anxiety/mental health issues and were admitted to a psycho hospital at some point in their lives. Either as a precursor to BFS or because of it, or for something totally unrelated.
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Postby Amylou29 on April 9th, 2014, 4:16 pm

I'm sorry you're not feeling too good, maybe this is just " you for now " that's what a dr told me. I have the same symptoms as you and am constantly, non stop twitching in my legs and sporadic every where else so you are not alone.
I infer what he meant by twitches are " no good" strange thing to say.
Amylou29
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Xina535 on April 9th, 2014, 5:33 pm

I know ...the Not good part I could have totally done without. And giving me the name of another neuro suggesting I get a 2nd opinion, in relation to BFS diagnosis.

I really like the "this is me for now" idea!! Thanks for sharing that :) it always helps knowing that we're not alone. I hope you are feeling better!
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Postby Yuliasir on April 10th, 2014, 12:17 am

I was never admitted to psycho hospital, but I was loosing control quite to a point two or three times in my life. It was on 15 or so (hard school times), on 30 (new job, ABSOLUTELY NEW, huge responsibilities, alot of English speakers among my bosses and I am a Russian native speaker, so one may imagine) and at 35, when I was really close to depersonalisation attack due to incredible stress at that job, and probably the only thing which prevented me form giving up was the fact that at those days I met a person who survived such attack, however at a cost of a personality change, and who later in fact appeared to be a person moving me towards psychotherapy and I owe my new life to him to be honest. His example is a kind of a hallmark for me - people can survive EVERYTHING, even personal destruction due to incredible stress, and still be a person of great personality and spiritual power.

I also was very lost at a beginning of BFS. I read about ALS, search local sites, I was feeling severe perceived weakness in my hands... I had normal EMG (more or less, at least with 'no evidence of motor neuron damage' conclusion), good clinicals but my hands... felt so strange, my typing manner changed, I was SURE this is first sign of ALS and I even told that to my family scaring them quite a lot.

I was definitely not OK, of course. So I went to my therapist and had long sessions with him about loneliness among the people, about feeling of the life is limited, about first glimpse of death and other important things. We were talking about why control over my body is so important for me, how to live with the understnading that the body may 'betray' you, what may be the basis of living limited life, etc. We were not talking about life with ALS but about life with GAD, and that had helped me a lot. I also went to psychiatrist I trusted and we agreed a course of SSRI under her tight control (I had to report her my feelings every two-three days iva Skype). Later it appeared that SSRI increased my twithches and we changed to valproates, but to be honest in 4 weeks after slow withdrawal of SSRI my twitches had settled down to minimum and stay there for over 1.5 year now. So it was a kind of PROGRAM for me and it had helped.

On top of your anxiety you definitely have a physical trauma causing you pain and tightness in the leg. So in that part of your body you are not OK of course. You are not OK but not due to MND. That is the difference. But this does not mean you do not need treatment, attention, sympathy etc. You deserve that NOT LESS than TDenver or other people who have MND, believe me. Does diabetic deserve less sympathy and treatment than a cancer patient? Does person with stomac ulcer need more symapthy and attention that a person with bipolar affective disorder? I am sure people with BAD need a bit more becasue ulcer needs a course of antibiotics once, and BAD needs a lifelong treatment...

I want you to understand that :)) We all here need a sympathy, either with MND, slowly progressing MND or BFS. Quality of life - that is what matters. It seems to be strange at a first glance but people with anxiety/obsessive disorders have very low QOL ratings... yes they do not die...but in fact they do. Every day. So proper treatment helps to improve QOL and this is what you may need now, I mean not only psychotherpay but pain treatment first of all (becasue pain exhausts you so much). Wish you will find good pain management center, on my point of view it is essential for now - with less pain you may sleep, live, get SIGNIFICANT relief, and waiting woul dnot be so hard for you.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby Xina535 on May 26th, 2014, 10:06 am

I thought I would post my update on my leg/hip pain in this thread since it was talked about here the most.

I finally got an MRI of my lower spine today. I have the CD, and will get the report read to me this Friday. Looking at all of these 99 images is pretty scary. You don’t know if that black hole should be there or if that white spot is a tumor. I get what the vertebrae, spinal cord, nerve and fat should look like, it’s mainly the whole crap surrounding the spine, or certain cuts of the spine, that make me wonder. “Are those my kidneys, ewe, they don’t look so good.” You also don’t know what images the doctors will review or consider significant. I did figure something out. There are two folders on the CD, each with just one picture in it, and each picture has the universal sign for “Warning!” on it. I have a feeling I will finally get a proper diagnosis and treatment soon. This has been going on since October last year, when I first started feeling burning in my left leg. Been dealing with hardened, painful muscles, hip pain, spasms and more since then. I wish I could share the pics, with and without the sign. I am relieved to have found just two out of 99 images with the warning signs on them. It does look like a slipped disc or something from my spine protruding out and messing with the nerves in my spinal canal. I am also guessing the spacing between the vertebrae isn’t optimal in the area, since they drew lines and numbered the first one '1' and the last one '12', as to indicate some sort of measurement.

Questions if anyone knows about MRIs and getting the images: Is it usual that they would point out the significant images on the CD like that? Can one consider the other images to be non-significant (no issues) then? A last question, can they detect ALS on a lumbar spine MRI, or does it always have to be seen in a brain MRI (meaning, "if detectable" - I know many cases cannot be diagnosed or seen by a MRI, but some people have had MRIs come back 'suggestive' so I thought I would ask).
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Postby German2 on May 27th, 2014, 12:58 am

They have done an MRI with me of my head including CNS processes. All normal. But on the other hand this is more or less important to rule out MS or other things, coming from the brain...
German2
Saint
Saint

Postby Xina535 on June 6th, 2014, 2:31 am

Thanks German!!

MRIs are so valuable and important aren't they! I wish they weren't so expensive and more people had access/the chance to get them.

My results: no slipped discs at all. There is one area , disc 12? That bulges out and in certain positions it could contact the nerves and so they think I created a compensation position (bad posture) to avoid pain, And that was the cause of my hardened left thigh muscle, spasms and pain. Everything else is normal. Not sure what I think of that. I had pain so bad I wanted to cut my leg off! It's been better with physiotherapy, so I am relieved for that.

Maybe I had a herniation or compressed nerve and it healed during this time I've been waiting? Or, maybe I have a compressed nerve exists in my pelvis, which they didn't see since the MRI was just of my spine? Who knows, just going to keep making my leg feel good as much as I can.
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Previous

Return to The Support Group