Positive IGG Antibody (ANA) - please help me!! Anyone!!

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Positive IGG Antibody (ANA) - please help me!! Anyone!!

Postby Xina535 on February 11th, 2014, 12:08 pm

I received information from my Dr. that she wants to see me Monday because my ANA for 'igg' is higher/elevated. Otherwise all of my blood work is ok (thyroid, iron, etc). I do not know yet how high, or if other ANAs are normal.

She told me it's nothing serious or bad, but she mentioned the word 'rheuma', like as in arthritis, but that is all I know. So I have to wait until Monday and I can't help it but I am a PANICKEY MESS!!! Once again!! I was going so well too...my twitching had died down to what would probably be considered normal.

The only symptoms I've been fighting are my left leg and hip pain and 'hardness', which has spread from my outer thigh to my inner left thigh. Sometimes I get pain in my hands, before it was bad, it has died down, but will return to a minimal soreness.

Can anyone tell me if this 'igg' ANA antibody is anything that could be related to (you know what - A**)? I can't google, too scared. Or maybe on the positive side, if this can be something that means NOT (you know what)?

Does anyone know about this 'igg', could that be related to my pain symptoms? Is it anything to worry about? I know my doctor said not to worry, but if it is elevated then I feel something is wrong and am scared that it could go higher.
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Re: Positive IGG Antibody (ANA) - please help me!! Anyone!!

Postby mwagner on February 11th, 2014, 12:25 pm

You can do a search on this site for positive ANA and you'll find many folks who have had this, and most of them are just fine. There is a lot of theory out there that BFS has an autoimmune element to it (for some people). While you're exploring this with a rheumatologist, you might try going on an anti-inflammatory diet and see if that helps at all.

Mitra
mwagner
Saint
Saint

Postby Rothhaar on February 11th, 2014, 12:36 pm

Hi Xina,

you have no reason to worry about **S - quite to the contrary: ANA are anti-nuclear antibodies, i.e. antibodies which attack the nuclei of your cells.
An elevated ANA is a hint that some autoimmune reaction is going on in your body and that this is probably the cause of your twitching. And this again means that the cause is not **S.
Autoimmune reactions are often caused either by an infection or by stress, depression and anxiety, which is probably the reason why so many people develop BFS in times of emotional distress or after a flu.

By the way I already got an autoimmune disease with extremely elevated IgG ANA's (lichen sclerosus - better don't google it, it's a kind of vitiligo in a very, very special place ...) about 10 years ago during another period of emotional distress. It seems that BFS is my second try in autoimmune syndromes.

Viele Grüße ins Rheinland!
Rothhaar

Postby Xina535 on February 11th, 2014, 1:16 pm

Thank you so much for responding and your feedback!! I do not know much about ANA and was always scared to learn about them. When I tried searching this site earlier it said I "could not search at this time", so I will try again later and will see what I can find about ANA.

It is great to think about it not being related to (you know), so that brings me great relief! I can deal with it being an auto immune thing, hopefully something manageable.

I keep thinking that might be the reason for my pain flare ups, but you say even maybe a reason for the twitching too! Never thought of that! Or that BFS could be connected to something auto immune.

Thanks again! Danke vielmals! I wish you the best with your autoimmune disorder, Rothhaar! I hope it is manageable for you!
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Postby Rothhaar on February 11th, 2014, 1:27 pm

Xina535 wrote:Thanks again! Danke vielmals! I wish you the best with your autoimmune disorder, Rothhaar! I hope it is manageable for you!

Danke ebenso und auch dir alles Gute!
Fortunately I've got only a very mild form of lichen sclerosus, which hasn't progressed very much from the start. It's just a bit annoying sometimes (usually it's much worse for females, but I am male).
Rothhaar

Postby emmie.s on February 11th, 2014, 5:45 pm

Rothhaar is awesome, and mitra is spot on about diet.
I too have positive Ana with low titer, and Gilbert's syndrome (elevated bilirubin sometimes). In addition to the twitching (which I've had for years) I had numbness, pins and needles, cramp-like pain, joint pain, cramps, fatigue, itchy arms when I lay down, and perceived weakness. I had 2 Clean EMGs and nerve conduction tests, and normal MRIs, although my blood test did show I was slightly b12 and iron anemic.
The good news: I made diet changes and started exercising, and I am so much better. I also take vitamins, probiotics and anti candida supplements. The hotspot twitching and most of my symptoms are gone, except I do get small random twitches all over, which I can go days without noticing. I am under the care of a rheumatologist, because sometimes I do get pretty bad muscle and joint pain, but anti inflammatory meds like ibuprofen work perfectly. There was a period a few weeks ago I thought I would have to take plaquenil or presidone, but thankfully the pain is gone now.
If I screw up my diet and eat gluten or too much chocolate or tomatoes, my twitches and symptoms will get worse. If I overindulge in alcohol, same thing, plus I will likely get foot and leg cramps. The trick for me is to stay away from anti inflammatory foods. I'm not saying this will work for everyone, but it's worth a shot if the signs point to your twitches being caused by something autoimmune. I also benefitted from a great acupuncturist who also said he thought I had something autoimmune going on.
Incidentally, my neuro told me that small fiber neuropathy can cause twitches that do not show up on an EMG, and also sensory type stuff (I am not sure if you have pins and needles too). Autoimmune conditions such as connective tissue disease, lupus, and sjogrens can cause neuropathy.
You may want to ask them to redo the test, because there are often false positives. Also, there is a more detailed test which shows which antibodies exactly your body is producing. I tested positive for sjogrens and lupus. Furthermore, many people test positive with low titers but it never turns into anything autoimmune, or it is just something really mild. The good news is that I am certain you have nothing too serious (such as ms or ALS) to worry about, and you might have found the cause of your symptoms, which is always a relief.
emmie.s
Hero
Hero

Postby Scaredlin on February 12th, 2014, 1:30 pm

Do not panic at all. Not related to A**. I have had a positive IGM ANA pretty much for the past 15 years and still have not been diagnosed with any rheumy disease. I have little finicky conditions - Raynauds syndrome, anticardiolipin antibodies, mitral valve prolapse which required open heart surgery, hypermobility - and oh yes, Lyme, that keep this IGM elevated and occasionally it shows as an IGG response as well which is evidence usually of a PAST infection. (IGM current/IGG past that usually the rule). THe only thing that I notice is that having that persnickety autoimmune IGM hanging around makes me susceptible to things like BFS and weird immune type stuff happening all the time. It has been confirmed by several rheumatologists that even though collectively my symptoms and conditions don't add up to lupus or scleroderma or other autoimmune diseases, that every now and then something will trigger a flare in my body of similar symptoms because of the IGM. For example, I can't take doxycycline at all b/c its reengages my Lyme disease.

In any event, rheum diseases, while not pleasant, are not in any way in the category of A**, so don't freak out.

Hey, Im 24 hours post freak out myself so I understand. Just got BFS'd yesterday after my first clean EMG and worrying about A** an other assorted diseases for months!!!!
Scaredlin

Postby Xina535 on February 17th, 2014, 4:12 pm

Thanks everyone for replying and helping me out!! I found out today that my ANA result is 1:160, and which one, I am not exactly sure. It just said something like IFT/HEP 2. I had this result of ANA last year in May (for ANA IFT), so I am relieved it did not go higher. She said it indicates something along the lines of arthritis, or autoimmune. My doctor is sending me to a a rheumatologist, and there, I hope to get more answers, including diet advice.
I was freaking out because I thought my ANA level went higher than 1:160. Also, I had a control ANA test in between and was told it went back to normal. Do ANA results change like that?
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Postby Xina535 on March 11th, 2014, 5:54 pm

Thought I would come back here and post that my rheumatologist took further ANA and inflammation blood work. Got the results today: Everything is normal. I have the one slightly elevated ANA but nothing else, so no auto immune disorder. Also, no inflammation in my blood and my CPK levels are normal.

I guess I should be happy? Sounds crazy, but I'm not. Still no answer to these symptoms.
Was in the ER today for chest pain and some shortness if breath (yea cause it's that bad with my health anxiety)...EKG and blood tests again all normal.

Dr ruled out heart issues and lung infection, and advised to monitor these symptoms. If persistent or worse, they may do a scope into stomach and/or lung function test. That a scared the hell out of me. With *** , is a dry cough, shortness of breath with pains in chest (perhaps from tightening) an issue, or not related?

Is the normal cpk level a good sign?

I had enough scares today and do not want to google in case I come across the wrong thing and/or misunderstand it.
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Postby veryworried123 on March 11th, 2014, 7:12 pm

Yes the normal cpk is a good sign an I agree with the above posts
Lots of people have this

Also don't forget to ask for an extractable anti-nuclear ab test to be done which is much more specific than ana
veryworried123
Hero
Hero

Postby Xina535 on March 11th, 2014, 9:36 pm

veryworried123 wrote:Also don't forget to ask for an extractable anti-nuclear ab test to be done which is much more specific than ana

Thank you! This is what he tested for, all negative/normal.
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Postby Yuliasir on March 12th, 2014, 1:13 am

Xina,
dry cough, pain in the chest ant lack of breath are NOT related to ALS.

Have you got Xray of your chest?

tightness is often a symptome of hyperventilation. Dry cough sometimes is an autonomous reaction however if you have that prolonged over 3 weeks and really dry, and slight fever is added, I would seek an Xray becasue unfortunately TB is not a marginal disease any more nowadays. Pain in the chest at normal ECG almost always means either acute inflammation (whcih you say you have not) or muscular pain casued by cough or, if not muscular, then it is another autonomous issue mimicking stenocardia.
Persistent cough, increased after the meals, means stress-related stomach problems, and could be sometimes really exhausting.

So most probably your current syndrome might be stress-related.
Normal CPK is a good sign definetely.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby Xina535 on March 12th, 2014, 2:27 am

GOOD about the CPK!!

The cough thing worried me about bulbar stuff, so that's why I asked.

I think it is due to one or a mix of the following:

1) Taking ibuprofen everyday for this leg pain upset my stomach, since the pain is also felt at the bottom of my sternum. Doc said possible 'gastritis' and to lay off the ibuprofen. I have never had stomach or chest pains before in my life, so this was new and scary for me.

2) Stress/anxiety causing tension in my chest area

They gave my a heavy duty pain killer that I had to take after taking a stomach protecting pill....helped with the chest pain, but did NOTHING for my leg (as I had hoped).

The pain in my left outer leg and hip/butt area is now unbearable and unmanageable. I am waiting for that orthopedic office to open to see if they can see me today instead of on the 19th. I don't care how long I will need to wait, I need relief! I also need a scan or something (finally) ...been dealing with this '*beep*' since Oct!! Without any image or diagnosis!!!! :evil:
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Postby Yuliasir on March 12th, 2014, 3:52 am

Xina,
really sorry to read that your leg pain persists.
but the fact that even strong painkiller does not relieve you may be a bit of reassuring.
Sometimes people have pains related to stress, which can not be quenched with conventional painkillers.

I know this by my own granny - she had spastic pains in the bowel for 20 years which were quenched only by very specific combination of anti-spasmatic and very strong painkiller of special nature. Any other conventional painkillers, even such strong as ketonal (practcailly one of the strongest OTC available in my country) could do nothing.

Pain killing is a complicated process, Specific part of pain management is a neural pain caused by nerve inflammation or compression. It may need injections of painkillers into the affected part etc.

I may advice you after ortopedic visit try to come to any local pain treatment center (they are associated mostly with oncological treatment facilities). People there will do your pain assesment, and may advice you a choice of proper painkiller.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby Xina535 on March 12th, 2014, 4:09 am

Hi and thank you, once again!

I called, they can't see me today but will tomorrow at 8am. Doctor offices are only open until
Noon on Wed. here in Germany.

Until then, I am a useless sac full of pain. No work and nothing else for me today. I checked and this orthopedic place is like a center for pain. They have all sorts of diagnostic tools, offer infusions, injections, biofeedback EMGs, weight training, wellness/massage, physiotherapy, etc. I heard they are one if the best around, very thankful they will see me tomorrow. If I can't take it at all, it's Urgent Care Center time for me later.

I am worried still about *** because I fear my pain is coming from extreme tension or leading up to spaticity or something wrong with nerves or muscle tissue OTHER than compressed nerve or something else mechanical. I am worried that this surface EMG will show 'bad twitches' or degenerating muscle or similar. It might be stupid to think that, but then again, I AM in fear therapy, with *** being my biggest fear, ever!

I used to fear flying in planes, big time! I would GLADLY do this, a million times, it's no big deal now compared to this *** fear!
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Next

Return to The Support Group