BFS be damned.

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

BFS be damned.

Postby Gryphon on February 2nd, 2014, 11:37 pm

What to say? I've been reading the boards for a month - its been a great help; a heartfelt thank you to all.
Sorry for the long, entirely me-centric, post. I am perhaps very blessed in my life such that this is the hardest thing I have ever had to deal with.

This chapter of my life started 1st Sept 2013.
33y/o active male (usually in great health), do I have the classic precursors to BFS onset or what?
1.) Semi-regular Endurance Cycling for last 8 years ; (read excertion to exhaustion)
I have always had extreme calf fasciculations after endurance cycling; several hours riding (6-12hrs) at high intensity. But I can honestly say the post ride fasciculations never bothered me; Why: because it was clearly caused by using the muscles to the max for a long time, didn't hurt, and always recovered back to normal within 24hrs of use.

2.) Long term Health Anxiety
I am pretty in tune with my legs, and at the start of September, I started noticing unjustified muscle 'fatigue' in my legs; a subtle feeling like they needed to stretch, like they had been used recently. This progressed over the next few weeks, until I decided to check-in with a doctor. He did a basic range of bloods, and all was normal, so he chalked it up to Anxiety - which I had to accept.
-- you see I came to fully realise I have had irrational health anxiety about something or another for the last 4 years.

3.) Preceding period of extreme stress (and months of more frequent alcohol consumption)
At the end of August I also left my job which had given me two years of extreme stress and frustration, and often poor sleep as I was on call 24hrs a day.
Leaving the job was an enormously relieving decision for me; but I think the accumulated stress had done its damage.
As this new health worry appeared, mild as it was, my life partner announced she had had enough. I was either to sort this out and stop worrying or we were through.
Talk about a gun to the head, telling you to calm the f*kc down!

And so at that stage the anxiety skyrocketed. I threw everything at it; therapy, meditation(TM), self help, acupuncture, massage - everything. But as my physical symptoms kept slowly worsening, I kept getting more anxious about my legs.
Mind you the physical symptoms weren't that bad... but the muscle fatigue and soreness, especially after doing any exercise, had me STOP everything. No more cycling, running, gym, nothing. This was the worst part for me, being afraid/unable to do all the activities that were a big part of my life.

Insomnia in Dec nearly had me march myself to a Psychiatrist for anything I could lay my hands on... but then, I noticed the calf fasciculations....
The ones I'm used to seeing, except now they're pretty much 24/7 and with NO apparent cause. Strangely, this was good news, because it led me to this board. And helped me believe that this condition was not entirely my fault. i.e. brought on and sustained entirely by self-anxiety.

"At least its just my legs" (I used to think) -- hah! - now, aching arms, legs, back.
So two weeks ago I went to a highly regarded Neuro to try and get to reassurance and perspective. She did a basic clinical exam, pushing limbs around, and was not concerned at all. Was happy to call it BFS (after I volunteered the term) and said to come back in 6 weeks - as though it should just fix itself in the coming few weeks.
She even threw some Lyrica/Pregabolin my way, after I was asking if it was the fasciculations CAUSING the fatigue. She said, no the fasciculations are just evidence of fatigue, and I could take some drugs if I 'wanted to' -- i am not inclined to do so, as the side-effects look crap enough, and does it really heal anything?

So since then I have been reading as much as I can on this board and elsewhere.
I know that Anxiety makes this syndrome so much worse, and totally distorts ones ability to evaluate symptoms objectively; but I'm not particularly anxious anymore - at least not about this condition being something 'terminal' like @LS.
What makes me anxious IS BFS itself! I have constant twitches in the calves as mentioned, sometimes the fingers, shoulders, glutes, back - but they are not very often.
The twitches really don't bother me.
It's the muscle soreness in my arms and legs - its always worst in the morning. The exercise intolerance has totally changed my life in a bad way.
I do worry this BFS will rob more of my life as the weeks go by.Anytime I use a muscle group energetically; the soreness for the next few days is just depressing. Ibuprofen and Tiger balm kinda help i think; but how much can I take every day?

I do understand that lowering anxiety is key; and a big part of that is acceptance - BUT I don't want to just roll over and take this.
I'm used to controlling outcomes and proactively making good things happen. I want my life back.
I've incorporated meditation, vitamin supplements, too much rest - but its not heading in the right direction.

Having read several posts on this board I am putting stock into the idea that this is an auto-immune disorder being held in perpetuity through the contentious classification of LeakyGutSyndrome. (seems conventional medicine is yet to recognise this term) Seniors will recognise I've been tracking BFSBurger and SecretAgentMan.
So I'm going to follow that theory strictly and see how it goes, seeing a dietitian tomorrow -- what else can I do?

Seriously -- what else can I do?
Does this all just 'go away' if you don't make drastic lifestyle changes?
Whether you believe you can or you believe you can't - you're right. -- Henry Ford
Gryphon
Interested
Interested

Re: BFS be damned.

Postby SecretAgentMan on February 3rd, 2014, 8:52 am

First of all welcome to the board. Since you are looking for ideas here I will comment that based on what I am reading that it sounds like you may be going through the motions of meditation you may not be truly capitalizing on it... One of the goals of meditation is to relax and let go of your fears and worries. Do you feel better after a meditation? If so how long does it last? How long have you been practicing and are you regularly sticking to it? We don't change perspectives overnight but you should be able to sense a shift in your perspective after a while. The best I can describe it is that I was able to bring the peace and calm of my meditative state with me into my daily life. This helped me to handle stress and fear better all the time and it changed some old patterns that were not serving me. Does that make sense?

Regarding diet and leaky gut, I am glad you are giving it serious consideration but regardless of what you find the fear issue needs to be faced and dealt with. Try to find a practitioner who is familiar with LGS who can test you for it. You are right that the mainstream is still largely unaware. Hang in there and never hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.
If your mind is your own worst enemy, why not make friends with it and turn it into your greatest ally? Mental discipline is achievable and there is help available. Learn what works for you, practice, and change your life for the better.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Postby edado69 on February 3rd, 2014, 9:05 am

Gryphon wrote:What to say? I've been reading the boards for a month - its been a great help; a heartfelt thank you to all.
Sorry for the long, entirely me-centric, post. I am perhaps very blessed in my life such that this is the hardest thing I have ever had to deal with.

33y/o active male (usually in great health), do I have the classic precursors to BFS onset or what?
1.) Semi-regular Endurance Cycling for last 8 years ; (read excertion to exhaustion)
I have always had extreme calf fasciculations after endurance cycling; several hours riding (6-12hrs) at high intensity. But I can honestly say the post ride fasciculations never bothered me; Why: because it was clearly caused by using the muscles to the max for a long time, didn't hurt, and always recovered back to normal within 24hrs of use.

I am pretty in tune with my legs, and at the start of September, I started noticing unjustified muscle 'fatigue' in my legs; a subtle feeling like they needed to stretch, like they had been used recently. This progressed over the next few weeks, until I decided to check-in with a doctor. He did a basic range of bloods, and all was normal, so he chalked it up to Anxiety - which I had to accept.
-- you see I came to fully realise I have had irrational health anxiety about something or another for the last 4 years.

3.) Preceding period of extreme stress (and months of more frequent alcohol consumption)
At the end of August I also left my job which had given me two years of extreme stress and frustration, and often poor sleep as I was on call 24hrs a day.
Leaving the job was an enormously relieving decision for me; but I think the accumulated stress had done its damage.
As this new health worry appeared, mild as it was, my life partner announced she had had enough. I was either to sort this out and stop worrying or we were through.

And so at that stage the anxiety skyrocketed. I threw everything at it; therapy, meditation(TM), self help, acupuncture, massage - everything. But as my physical symptoms kept slowly worsening, I kept getting more anxious about my legs.
Mind you the physical symptoms weren't that bad... but the muscle fatigue and soreness, especially after doing any exercise, had me STOP everything. No more cycling, running, gym, nothing. This was the worst part for me, being afraid/unable to do all the activities that were a big part of my life.

Insomnia in Dec nearly had me march myself to a Psychiatrist for anything I could lay my hands on... but then, I noticed the calf fasciculations....
The ones I'm used to seeing, except now they're pretty much 24/7 and with NO apparent cause. Strangely, this was good news, because it led me to this board. And helped me believe that this condition was not entirely my fault. i.e. brought on and sustained entirely by self-anxiety.

"At least its just my legs" (I used to think) -- hah! - now, aching arms, legs, back.
So two weeks ago I went to a highly regarded Neuro to try and get to reassurance and perspective. She did a basic clinical exam, pushing limbs around, and was not concerned at all. Was happy to call it BFS (after I volunteered the term) and said to come back in 6 weeks - as though it should just fix itself in the coming few weeks.
She even threw some Lyrica/Pregabolin my way, after I was asking if it was the fasciculations CAUSING the fatigue. She said, no the fasciculations are just evidence of fatigue, and I could take some drugs if I 'wanted to' -- i am not inclined to do so, as the side-effects look crap enough, and does it really heal anything?

I know that Anxiety makes this syndrome so much worse, and totally distorts ones ability to evaluate symptoms objectively; but I'm not particularly anxious anymore - at least not about this condition being something 'terminal' like @LS.
What makes me anxious IS BFS itself! I have constant twitches in the calves as mentioned, sometimes the fingers, shoulders, glutes, back - but they are not very often.
It's the muscle soreness in my arms and legs - its always worst in the morning. The exercise intolerance has totally changed my life in a bad way.
I do worry this BFS will rob more of my life as the weeks go by.Anytime I use a muscle group energetically; the soreness for the next few days is just depressing. Ibuprofen and Tiger balm kinda help i think; but how much can I take every day?

I do understand that lowering anxiety is key; and a big part of that is acceptance - BUT I don't want to just roll over and take this.
I'm used to controlling outcomes and proactively making good things happen. I want my life back.
I've incorporated meditation, vitamin supplements, too much rest - but its not heading in the right direction.

Having read several posts on this board I am putting stock into the idea that this is an auto-immune disorder being held in perpetuity through the contentious classification of LeakyGutSyndrome. (seems conventional medicine is yet to recognise this term) Seniors will recognise I've been tracking BFSBurger and SecretAgentMan.
So I'm going to follow that theory strictly and see how it goes, seeing a dietitian tomorrow -- what else can I do?

It seems to me that you are trying your hardest and for this you have to be commended. I can see you have been having a quite difficult time.
I wonder if it was the Neuro to suggest you to stop exercising, or if you did stop because just you couldn't do it any more.
Quite a few members here - including myself - have been or are very much into sports.
Fasciculating from the 25/03/2007 (as accurately as I can recall!...)
edado69
Saint
Saint

Postby edado69 on February 3rd, 2014, 9:05 am

Gryphon wrote:What to say? I've been reading the boards for a month - its been a great help; a heartfelt thank you to all.

It seems to me that you are trying your hardest and for this you have to be commended. I can see you have been having a quite difficult time.
I wonder if it was the Neuro to suggest you to stop exercising, or if you did stop because just you couldn't do it any more.
Quite a few members here - including myself - have been or are very much into sports.
Fasciculating from the 25/03/2007 (as accurately as I can recall!...)
edado69
Saint
Saint

Postby RGB on February 3rd, 2014, 12:14 pm

Welcome. With that back-story it would have been strange if you DIDN'T get BFS :)

I totally understand your proactive approach to this but my only word of caution is that there is a danger that you turn it into a 'fight,' which sometimes can make it difficult to get to the point of 'acceptance'. This is the stage where you truly ignore the twitches and when many people report a decrease in symptoms.

RGB
My history....Jan '13: Widespread Twitches. May 13': Unremarkable Neuro Exam. Jul '13: Clean EMG. Oct '13: BFS Diagnosis Today's Date: Twitching and Healthy!
RGB
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Gryphon on February 3rd, 2014, 8:26 pm

No health practitioner advised me to stop exercising - it was me.. partly because I thought long term rest might resolve things, and partly because I was just too afraid to face my dramatic reduction of endurance. Instead of being able to get out and cycle for 6 hours... I can manage 30mins, and it feels as though I've run a marathon before I've even started.

I should point out I am referring to muscle fatigue.. not decreased energy levels, if that makes sense. I am no more tired than a normal person.
It's that my arms, shoulders and legs feel like they have been heavily used; heavy and achy.
If I do push through and put them to use; the next day feels 10 times worse... so I have just naturally stopped doing the sort of exercise I'm used to.

At this stage I believe I need to get all my remedial ducks lined up and then start to reintroduce the exercise slowly - but it is a delicate balance trying to keep the positivity.
I'm sure there are many others on this board that feel.. 'if it was only the twitches, I wouldn't be bothered'
Meditation.. my mileage varies - I do know I need to be consistent and patient.
SecretAgentMan - i'm slightly embarrassed to admit that i paid to learn TM (transcendental meditation) that was at the height of my anxiety. I need to keep at it.

What really scares me is the trajectory.. where does this lead, 'benign' as it is..I don't want to be one of these people that can't get out of bed for weeks.
I'm running out of excuses as to why I can't go racing with my friends... I also drum in a rock band -- and performances are becoming a huge problem.
It is almost insulting that these syndromes are called 'benign' - as socially, people can't begin to understand what you problem is. "You don't have anything real though do you?" argh!

It seems with all these mysterious benign syndromes, CFS, BFS, Fybro blah blah - does the actual classification really matter?
Once you are diagnosed, does it change the prognosis or the targeted treatments prescribed?
It's certainly frustrating to arrive at a benign syndrome diagnosis only to find the medical community has no real solutions to offer.
[Sorry for venting]

The remedy for all these seems holistic, and takes time and careful self observation (but not obsession).
One thing is for sure though, Anxiety is a powerful force that seems to directly worsen symptoms.
I really never knew that it could do such physical damage; reversible though it may yet prove to be.
Last edited by Gryphon on February 4th, 2014, 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Whether you believe you can or you believe you can't - you're right. -- Henry Ford
Gryphon
Interested
Interested

Postby SecretAgentMan on February 3rd, 2014, 10:40 pm

Nothing to be ashamed or embarrassed about there. I never took any official training for meditation. My first time all I did was to download an mp3 course off the internet and listen to the guided audio through my computer speakers in my office and I just sat in my reading chair. After a few times under my belt I felt like I needed some pointers from some experienced people and through googling found a website called meetup.com where there were free groups to join people with similar interests. I found a meditation/spiritual group in my area and I decided to attend one of their meetings. They get together every 2 weeks on Monday evenings. I met a lot of nice and knowledgeable people and made quite a few friends. I still go years later. I actually just got home from a meeting. :) So there are countless different resources available.

In your meditations you might want to try asking for your fears to come forward and face you so that you can hear their message. Let the visualization come to you in whatever form it chooses. Don't judge or do anything but just observe. Give them an audience. Try to understand what it is that your fears are really trying to tell you. When they have finished thank them and let them know that the message has been received. You can then visualizing them fading away peacefully. Visualizations are very powerful with the mind. You may need to repeat this exercise a few times, but keep at it until they stop coming back. Let the new pathways form and the old ones go away. It will work. The key is to not try to force anything or to lose your cool. Frustration will only prolong the process or hold you back.
If your mind is your own worst enemy, why not make friends with it and turn it into your greatest ally? Mental discipline is achievable and there is help available. Learn what works for you, practice, and change your life for the better.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Postby Gryphon on February 10th, 2014, 10:47 am

I really need some help with what to do here...
In the last 2 weeks, my muscle fatigue has really ramped up. Its hard to say if anxiety is doing this, cos the more fatigued I get, I just can't keep the anxiety out.
I have had a planned trip to visit my friend in Istanbul for months, and when it arrived I just about pulled the plug.. knowing that i'd have to be walking around every day and stay active and be out late, drinking etc.....

But how can I explain to someone that I just can't manage to do normal things; especially when I look perfectly health and normal?? - I refused to give in and lose this fantastic opportunity, so I hopped on the plane anyway.
I only just made it if I'm honest, I nearly bailed out halfway at the layover to go back home.. but figured, how was anything going to be better if I was at home? So I still forged on.

Now I'm here and have had an amazing first day, with a fair bit of walking and gentle cycling.. but my legs are now soo wobbly, it feels like they're going to buckle at any time. Its nearly impossible to stay calm, I'm about to turn tail and head home.. but again, what is that going to do to improve the way I feel.
2 months ago, a 2 hour hard cycle would make me feel like this. Today, a long walk is enough to exhaust my legs. My shoulders are arms are heavy and achey - and I'm not doing any 'exercise' that can justify this -- just normal daily use.
I'm honestly not afraid of @@@, I have plenty of energy (i.e. not sleepy) and feel quite sure I haven't lost any muscle strength. I don't care about the twitches, or the muscle soreness - but the (whole body) muscle fatigue is progressing to the point that it is scaring me about coping with tomorrow and the rest of the trip.

The mornings are the worst, as the sense of fatigue is really bad, like my blood is made of concrete... and in the last 7 days, every morning seems a little bit worse than the last. Sleep has been poor leading up to the trip (then then the 20hour flight) and now jetlag -- can poor sleep be responsible for all this..?

I'm trying to resist the urge to ask him to take me to a local doctor to try and get some Valium or Xanax or something (I've never taken anything like these before) In the hope that it will chill me out enough to enable me to stay here holidaying for the next 2 weeks. Aspirin and Ibuprofen don't seem to do anything at all to the twitches, aches or fatigue. If I leave early or run to a doctor - how do I even begin to explain this to my friend??

I know this will sound backward to you seniors.. but I just want the fatigue to go, or at least not get worse, and I'm sure I'll be able to enjoy myself and the keep anxiety down.

I know everyone asks about the symptom that bothers them the most, suspecting its particularly unusual.... but here I go.
Does anyone else get this degree of muscle fatigue? and more importantly, what can you do or take to recover for the next day?
Is this a temporary phase? I need to get through the next 2 weeks.

Really feeling trapped.... can't go forward, cant go back. :(
Please help a newbie.
Gryphon
Interested
Interested

Postby SecretAgentMan on February 10th, 2014, 12:49 pm

When you do your meditation visualize yourself pulling energy into your body as you inhale and visualize it expanding throughout your body as you exhale. In pranic healing there are 3 main sources of energy or Prana that we use, air prana, sun prana, and earth prana. You can visualize the energy coming into you from any or all of these sources. Whether or not you believe in prana or energy of this nature or not doesn't matter. The visualization exercise itself can be incredibly powerful. Do this several times a day if possible at first. You can reduce the frequency of the exercise as you see fit. I hope you feel better soon.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Postby keomagnes on March 21st, 2014, 10:25 am

I'm kinda of curious about how your symptoms of fatigue have developed in these past month 'Gryphon'. Did you get any better? How are you feeling now?! Have you developed any kind of muscular pain?

Hope you are doing better.
keomagnes
Interested
Interested

Postby Gryphon on March 23rd, 2014, 8:29 pm

Hi KeoMagnes,

Well, I made it through that really difficult period.
In everything that I have experienced so far; and this will look familiar -- nothing effects my symptoms more strongly than quality/amount of sleep (or lack of)
Supplements don't seem to make any difference at all.

I have been working with a Dietician than has me on a supplement regime, and has also prescribed I cut out all inflammatory foods ( caffeine, alcohol, gluten, hi-GI carbs, dairy) Which I have done for the last two week... will see how that goes.

As for progress -- some positives: better sleep and reduced anxiety.
As for the rest: constant twitches (so what), early muscle fatigue and muscle pain (not too bad) persists. Its just that back in my normal day-to-day life, I can avoid anything too strenuous , so don't tend to fatigue to the point of being unable to function.

I'm gradually trying to bring cycling to work back in; approx 40km per week -- which is just laughable compared to what I used to do.
After a 15min fast cycle this morning; my legs ache -- a feeling i know well enough, but usually/previously associated caused by several hours of high intensity workout.
My right arm feels heavy and achey from using the mouse and typing.

It's gonna be a long road.
Gryphon
Interested
Interested

Postby emmie.s on March 23rd, 2014, 8:33 pm

please keep us updated. I love these type of posts that offer possible solutions rather than stir up fear, and I am sure many members and lurkers feel the same. Good luck.
emmie.s
Hero
Hero

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group