Worried & need advice/support

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Re: Worried & need advice/support

Postby leaflea on May 30th, 2014, 1:28 pm

I am SO with you on this not feeling benign. It is really hard to believe with the whole array of disturbing symptoms. But alas, it seems to be as we see with the passage of time. I find it really interesting this Calcium/Magnesium ratio and if they mention spasm and twitching BLINDLY without knowing you or the reason for your quest, it seems a bit more reliable. So - what does that mean - high calcium and low magnesium or the other way around. I don't blame you for your quest...we are all looking for answers or did at some point, that is why 5000 of us meet here. It is a mysterious, aggravating, annoying condition. I hear ya.
Matthew 6:27 Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?
leaflea
Saint
Saint

Postby readytocheckout on June 5th, 2014, 7:58 am

Hi Folks

I'm not sure whether to keep this thread going or not, maybe start a new one?

Anyway today I had a scary experience with my right hand. While using the mouse I had some sort of twitch or spasm in a forearm muscle which made it hard to move my hand up and down, and at the same time the entire top of the same hand had a twitch or spasm. I'm not too good at describing this so I hope this is making some sense. This is the same hand which always feels stiff when opening and closing fast and lately it's feeling a little a little numb. Could this perhaps be some sort of nerve entrapment? This is also the same hand which the neuro said I have mild carpal tunnel (but don't need treatment yet). Tonight I've had a few more of the same hand/forearm sensations.

I'm so over this BFS, strange feelings in some toes of my right foot while I'm walking, and a tight face feeling. MS fears are also starting to creep in. But I've been checked for MS last year and was clear.

One thing for certain, this condition messes with the mind in a major major way. I've never been so fixated on my health and body since my twitching first started.

The nerve conduction study report about my right hand/arm says "the nerve conduction studies demonstrate mildly prolonged right median sensory latency and a normal right motor response". I guess this bit is the carpal tunnel???

Cheers
readytocheckout

Postby Xina535 on June 5th, 2014, 5:18 pm

I believe if you feel numbness and were diagnosed with mild carpal tunnel, that what you experienced is related to that. The nerve study said "normal motor", and I'm no carpal tunnel or nerve expert, but those two words together seems like gold on paper to me!!

Yes, these symptoms cause mental warfare. Stupid ego in the brain puts up a fight and wants to win and keep driving us crazy!

I'm sorry you have mild carpal tunnel, but maybe it's not so mild anymore? Maybe that's why you had this experience.

Do you mind if I ask if you have pain or tingling? I am having symptoms in my right hand, constant for a few weeks now. If not better by next week, I am going to go back to my neuro.

I have pain that comes and goes in my thenar thumb muscle, sometimes the pain migrates to the base of my middle finger and index finger. What bothers me the most is I have a ....tingling....or is it a couple of tiny tiny twitches I can feel but can't see? I go back and forth with these questions. This tingling is throughout the day, in thenar and in my web muscle, between thumb and index. I do get tingling at the base of my middle finger, mainly at night. I also experience weak periods, with holding things, pushing buttons, etc. I wonder, are these signs of carpal tunnel? I'm not googling anymore! Have you had any of these symptoms? I do work on the comp. all day, for years now, and this is my dominant hand. My left hand/arm is symptom free.
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Postby readytocheckout on June 6th, 2014, 9:05 pm

Xina535 wrote:Do you mind if I ask if you have pain or tingling?

Hi Xina
I have had pain in the thumb but it's more in the joint closest to the thenar, not the thenar itself. I have noticed that the right thenar is slightly flatter than the left (confirmed by my osteo), I also have pain in my right forearm when I need to do certain arm and hand movements, I've also lost strength in my right forearm, praying that this is carpal tunnel, anyway the emg was clean in that arm so I guess if it was something mnd related then it would have shown up. I've also had pins and needles sometimes in my right hand which I guess is numbness, not very often though.

Actually I've noticed that I get a lot more joint pain since this BFS started, especially in one ankle and finger joints, also my right big toe has joint pain which usually doesn't stop. Maybe an age thing, not getting any younger these days that's for sure.

The pain you describe that migrates to the middle and index finger could indeed be carpal tunnel. My mum had carpal tunnel but her pain was like electric shocks up the forearm, I haven't had that. Mum's carpal tunnel was confirmed by a nerve conduction test, as was mine.

I wouldn't be surprised if my carpal symptoms have been been made worse by constant computer use, I'm on the PC all day at work. My work chair has armrests and I don't think it's a good idea to have the forearms resting along armrests or the desk itself, I do this all day. I'm going to try to stop resting my arms on the desk and I'll take the chair armrests off.

As for the mental warfare - oh yes yes and yes!!! I absolutely hate the torture of having visited a neuro only to realise afterwards that I forgot to ask a particular question, I hate that, I should have written the questions down. The question was about toe strength, the toe next to my big toe isn't anywhere near as strong when I lift it up compared to the other foot, I completely forgot to ask. From some of your other posts I've been reading it looks like you're making some progress with your testing etc, hope you're felling more relaxed.

Thinking back it was much much better to only having twitching as my symptom but now there's so much more going on and I am struggling with my life right now. The only time I get any peace is when I sleep and even then I have to take meds for that.
Garry
readytocheckout

Postby Xina535 on June 7th, 2014, 6:34 pm

I'm sorry the mental warfare is so intense for you :( I hope it does down for you very soon.

Thanks for the advice about carpal tunnel. I don't have shock type sensations, nor pain in the joint, it's def the thenar muscle. I will call for another appt about this since it's not improving.

For the mental warfare: do you have any weapons, except pills? Have you tried mediation, progressive muscle relaxation, hypnosis, anything that has helped you win little battles?
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Previous

Return to The Support Group