Contraction fasciculations in thigh muscles

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Contraction fasciculations in thigh muscles

Postby twitcherHH on December 4th, 2012, 9:32 am

Hi!

Since someone brought up the subject of fasciculations when stressing a muscle: When I put my weight on my thigh muscles by doing a "half squat", I get really strong fasciculations. Does anyone else get these "contraction fasciculations"? Can you just see the muscle working there or is that pathological?

http://youtu.be/FNPu-inRFps
twitcherHH
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Re: Contraction fasciculations in thigh muscles

Postby bobajojo on December 4th, 2012, 12:21 pm

I know that lots of BFSers get twitches while muscles are in use, I know I do. I have a very similar looking twitch in both shoulders. Does your thigh twitch like this when its relaxed as well?
Over 10 billion twitches since May 2011.
bobajojo
Saint
Saint

Postby twitcherHH on December 4th, 2012, 12:24 pm

bobajojo wrote:Does your thigh twitch like this when its relaxed as well?

No... Only when I really strain them...
twitcherHH
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby bobajojo on December 4th, 2012, 12:37 pm

I can't tell which part of your thigh is in the video. Are you squatting in the video? I can't say that I've had the same twitch you're getting in the video, but I do get rumbling twitches in my thighs (just above my knees) while standing.
Over 10 billion twitches since May 2011.
bobajojo
Saint
Saint

Postby twitcherHH on December 4th, 2012, 12:48 pm

bobajojo wrote:I can't tell which part of your thigh is in the video. Are you squatting in the video? I can't say that I've had the same twitch you're getting in the video, but I do get rumbling twitches in my thighs (just above my knees) while standing.

It"s the outer side. And in that video I'm just getting up from a chair, i.e. hovering some inches above it...
twitcherHH
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby twitcherHH on December 4th, 2012, 1:00 pm

It's this experiment: http://www.aboutbfs.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6712&p=46626#p46626. Does anyone know the clinical significance of that?
twitcherHH
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby aztwitchy on December 5th, 2012, 1:08 pm

don't get it in my thighs but I do get it in my forearms at certain angles.

thighs twitch at rest though so thats a lot of fun...
"Health is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being, and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity." ~World Health Organization, 1948
aztwitchy
Hero
Hero

Postby TwitchyDoc on December 6th, 2012, 3:52 pm

This is normal if the muscle is working but it is not fully flexed. These are muscle bundles being activated and deactivated to balance the strenght. Contraction fasciculations are a bit different, they occur as large twitches when the muscle is contracted as a result of enlarged and reinnervated motor units. If you are slim, that is why you can see it - lack of subcutaneous fat. Try slighly flex your calf and keep it half-flexed: under right light you will see an amazing storm. Really, if this is not a relaxed state, no need to worry, just working muscle.
TwitchyDoc
Saint
Saint

Postby Jonny32 on December 8th, 2012, 2:02 am

This is exactly what my inner quadriceps does after running or during workout.
No need to be concerned. I guess this is related to increased muscle tension, which we all seem to suffer from.
Jonny32

Postby veryworried123 on February 17th, 2014, 1:22 am

I just saw this video and it looks exactly like mine

I was doing well the last little while as my twitches calmed down to the point where I didn't think about then every second and also they were milder So I couldn't feel them but I was definitely twitching

Now I can induce very quick twitching rippling shaking in the side of my quads / thighs as well everytime I flex and I feels and looks like a have a dent there
But it happens it the same spot on both legs / quads

This is now the 2nd spot on my quads where I can induce twitches if I flex or apply pressure
And its really scaring me

Twitherhh are you still ok?

Do you get this checked out?

Thanks
veryworried123
Hero
Hero

Postby Tiredofbfs on February 18th, 2014, 2:17 pm

I have the exact same thing. I don't think you need to worry about. I have been having these type of fasiculations since 1 year and if it was bad then i would have not been able to squat 200 lbs with my body weight.

here is what I think of it:

I drive stick and when I push on the clutch half way, I can physically see those fasiculation but cant feel them. Actually I tried on both leg and both of my outer thighs muscle behave the same way. also if I squat half way it does that as well.

However, if I push my leg all the way on the clutch (complete flex) then i dont see them. as twitchydoc said, this is normal for muscle to behave that way and he knows what he is talking about.

I have no doubt that many people if not all will have the same thing. your thighs might be slim and you have not enough fat around it thats why you see them.

before I never noticed it coz I used to have fat around this area now that I do squat and cycling, I have got rid of most of the fat around it and can def see them and I can see dents but turned out to be muscle taking form.

do not panic, if it will make you feel better i will send you a video of mine as well. just pm me your number and i ll text it to you.
Tiredofbfs
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby veryworried123 on February 18th, 2014, 2:29 pm

thanks for the update
veryworried123
Hero
Hero

Postby veryworried123 on March 3rd, 2014, 5:24 pm

just went to go see the nero regarding my thigh rippling / shaking etc... when in a semi-flex state

while he didn't even look at my leg he stated he didn't think that was anything and its actually better if you have that you are having sign like that. but he did say he won't know until he does another emg which is 6 months after my first one. He is looking for changes in the emg. He also stated he is more concerned with my random twitches

I also asked him about my toe vibration and sometimes it actually moves by-itself and he stated that's stress related

so there you go, i really wont know anything until my next emg...live in fear until then i guess
veryworried123
Hero
Hero

Postby readytocheckout on March 9th, 2014, 6:32 am

veryworried123 wrote:He also stated he is more concerned with my random twitches

Did he say why? I thought that random twitches was usually more of a good sign. I get twitches anywhere and anytime. I've also got the rippling thigh muscles when i half squat (amongst other things that scare the crap out of me).
readytocheckout

Postby ShawnW on March 9th, 2014, 9:40 am

readytocheckout wrote:
veryworried123 wrote:He also stated he is more concerned with my random twitches

Did he say why? I thought that random twitches was usually more of a good sign. I get twitches anywhere and anytime. I've also got the rippling thigh muscles when i half squat (amongst other things that scare the crap out of me).

They are...*** doesn't work like that. I do not believe the neurologist is associating random body wide twitches to ***. I believe the neurologist was misunderstood.
ShawnW
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Next

Return to The Support Group