middle finger pain and swelling in joint

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

middle finger pain and swelling in joint

Postby mwagner on February 4th, 2012, 2:23 am

Hi everyone,

I have had a whole host of weird symptoms lately, but this is really strange. Towards the end of the day, my middle finger all of a sudden began to hurt and it's stiff and difficult to bend at the joint. It's also swollen.

Could this be related to BFS? It seems like it would arthritis or something? Anyone had something similar with just one finger like this? It's pretty awful.

Mitra
mwagner
Saint
Saint

Re: middle finger pain and swelling in joint

Postby nickston on February 4th, 2012, 2:54 am

This is simply a guess, but I'd say it probably has nothing to do with BFS nor does it have anything to do with any kind of ominous disease. I'd get it checked out by your GP if it doesn't go away in a few days with some ice and pain meds/anti inflammatories.
nickston

Postby mwagner on February 4th, 2012, 10:41 am

Thanks Nickston.

Yeah, I'm guessing the same. When I googled this it looks like either osteoarthritis or rheumotoid arthritis. How awful! I'm only 43. Anyway, I just have so many weird symptoms lately (part of my upper thigh has been numb for about a month now, my tongue recently started twitching - tiny twitches, and now this). I tend to clump them all together where they might all be different things.

Mitra
mwagner
Saint
Saint

Postby Ghayes420 on February 4th, 2012, 11:14 am

Hi mitra. Sorry you are having new symptoms creep up. They can be so distressing. I am having my own few these days.

In regards to the finger pain, yes I have gotten the exact thing before, I though I injured it or something, it was even sore to squeeze. It went away in two days. Keep an eye on it and see if time does heal it rather quickly. I dont think you have severe athritis, but what do i know. Rheumatoid arthritis can be severe on rare occasions but usually isn't threatening to your quality of life and managed with eastern and western meds.
A very proud fasciculator since 8/14/2011. :)
Ghayes420
Hero
Hero

Postby mwagner on February 4th, 2012, 11:58 am

Thanks Greg! Boy that's so reassuring to me. It's just really weird that it came on so suddenly. It's feeling a tiny bit better today but still swollen and painful. So, maybe it will go away in 2 days like yours did.

Hope you're doing well and not having any symptoms that are too bad.

Mitra
mwagner
Saint
Saint

Postby Wells05 on February 4th, 2012, 10:08 pm

Mitra, I have the weirdest thing on my right hand middle finder as well. Almost like a numb joint stiff fealing. It doesn't hurt just a odd fealing. Ash
Wells05
Hero
Hero

Postby mwagner on February 5th, 2012, 1:56 pm

Really Ashley? The same finger? What a coincidence. Glad to know I'm not alone. My fingers seems a tad bit better. I've been having a whole slew of weird things, like a numb patch on my upper thigh that won't go away, my tongue has started to twitch (like a tiny twitch once an hour or two), etc. But my calf twitching is less than normal. WEIRD STUFF!!!

Mitra
mwagner
Saint
Saint

Postby Wells05 on February 5th, 2012, 3:20 pm

swear! Mitra I even asked people on the chat a while back has anyone heard of Al's in the middle finger, they were like huh. lol I'm a goof
Wells05
Hero
Hero

Postby englishdave on February 5th, 2012, 3:40 pm

Hey mitra an ashley...

It must be that time of year or something. sensory stuff through the roof here, and calf going bonkers still !!!

And first heavy snow of winter hasnt helped.

D. x
englishdave
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Shanny63 on February 5th, 2012, 7:38 pm

Hey mitra..by now your finger is probably better but I have a similar issue with my two pointer fingers...they get stiff swollen and hard to move....the dr said she didn't think it was arthritis even though the joints were all hot and swollen...only started happening since I got bfs..but I blame everything on bfs.... :lol: ..hope it settles down for u...shanny
Shanny63
Saint
Saint

Postby jerry2 on February 6th, 2012, 9:49 am

I didn't hve swollen middle finger but it was painfull to bend to the end and to move left and right. It lasted 2 years!!! Went away this winter when I got all the other symptoms. It was no rheumatism either because I went to rheumo doctor for it. Didn't know why I had this.

I would change and take this back any day. I have left forearm severe pain now, my hands get numb mostly at night, all this twitching etc. I would change back to the stiff middle finger. It wasn't swolen, ever.
jerry2
Saint
Saint

Postby mwagner on February 6th, 2012, 12:45 pm

Thanks to all of you for your feedback. I'm happy to report - just like Greg - my finger is almost back to normal now. It's still a little stiff, but the swelling has gone down substantially.

I asked my chiropractor about it, and he thinks it's food related. Interesting. I am super sensitive to sesame seeds and had some on my sushi the night before. Who knows. I hope it's not arthritis.

Mitra
mwagner
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group