I am wondering if I belong here or not

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

I am wondering if I belong here or not

Postby barbo36 on April 29th, 2004, 8:33 am

HI everyone! First I would like to say you are all so helpful and supportive.The thing is I see alot of differances in some of my symptoms. I wake up everymorning with sore back and ribs well really from waist up. I am stifftoo. My lungs dont seem to be working very well anymore either.I get lots of twitching and I think minor cramping and the pins and needles but I get these wierd stabbing pains also. I dont feel like there is weakness but my muscles tire quickly, Is that weakness. I also feel like my throat tightens off and on. I dont know I just have alot of soreness and joint pain and I am wondering is it bfs? As you probobly already know I havent been to a neuro so I am totally confused. I keep thinking I really like this board and I finally found where I belong but what if I dont and then what do I do? Stupid I geuss
barbo36

Do you belong here?

Postby Dale on April 29th, 2004, 9:33 am

It's not for us to say if you belong here or not. I guess you won't know until you see a Neuro. That's the route that seems most logical to me...

You mention morning stiffness, back, joint and rib pain. I'm no Doctor, but that sounds like arthritis to me. Have you had an appointment with a Rheumy?

Dale
Last edited by Dale on June 9th, 2004, 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dale
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby garym on April 29th, 2004, 11:00 am

Barb,

Most of the sx's you list can be part of bfs, or the anxiety caused by bfs. You should probably see a neuro and a rheumy. Most of us on this board have been to both, and many of us have been dx'd with more than one condition. I was told BFS by the neuro and fibromyalgia (except for the twitching) by the rheumy.
I had the throat thightening thing you mentioned for several months. I had barium swallow test, that was normal, and finally was dx with mild reflux. I personally think the throat was anxiety, as it is a very common sx of anxiety. All the sharp pains and pins and needles and joint stiffness are very common complaints of members of this group.
So to answer you question if this is the right place for you, I'm with Dale, only you can decide. But i have to say, you fit the profile of many with BFS. I also will say that you will be hard pressed to find another group on the internet more supportive. I personally visit this site and one other on a regular basis. The other site i visit is for people that have had adverse drug reactions to fluoroquinolone antibiotics. I truly believe that all my problems were triggered by Cipro.

Hope this helps you in some way,
Gary
garym

Hi Barbo

Postby KimE on April 29th, 2004, 11:34 am

I don't really belong here either. Twitching, which was never my biggest symptom to begin, with has pretty much ceased since I started taking some Xanax to deal with my anxiety. I still have all my other crap though, which more closely resembles a neuropathy of some sort.

I have decided to take a break from the doctor for a few months and try to wrangle this anxiety under control and see what happens.

Well, as I said I don't really belong here either but I keep coming back because it is a good group of people.

So, stick around. I enjoy chatting with you and think we have alot in common in our situations. (Worrying obout our kids!)

Kim
KimE

its me again

Postby barbo36 on April 29th, 2004, 3:46 pm

Hi Garym, How long after you took the antibiotics did it take you to start twitching? I took some before and right after I got a muscle twitch. I could find out what they were i dont really remember. You made me feel a little better today saying I do fit the profile.I have another question Today I was holding my daughters book bag wich weighs probobly 20-30 pounds and I was only holding it for a few seconds like 6 secs and my arm started shaking. Is that true weakness? I feel weaker but I really dont think I am but that bookbag thing scared me. I am sorry if I sound really stupid about all this I am just right in the middle of the scare of my life and I know you guys have been there too. Also kim thanks for responding I enjoy talking to you too. Barb
barbo36

Postby Craig on April 29th, 2004, 4:47 pm

Barb:

Your symptoms are consistent with many of the members here. The shaking you described happens to me all of the time and affects just about every muscle in my body. In fact, my arms will shake when holding just my dry cleaning, which can't weigh more than a couple of pounds...let alone 20-30lbs like your daughter's bookbag. I also get a fair amount of joint pain, but it mostly affects the lower part of my body. Anyway, I definitely don't think any of your symptoms are that unusual by any means.

Craig
Craig
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby barbo36 on April 29th, 2004, 4:58 pm

Oh my God! Thanks Craig that really had me worried! You guys are so great here! Thanks for the reasurance I really needed it. Barb
barbo36

Postby garym on April 29th, 2004, 7:31 pm

Barb,

I noticed the my first twitching about one week after finishing cipro. Those twitches and what i experience now are completely different. In the beginning, my twitches were very, very fine/small, now they are almost all large, and I can feel them.

As for the shaking muscles, that scared the hell out of me the first time I experienced it. After my neuro said that he was never concerned with muscle shaking while being used, I filed that concern away (and moved on to bigger and better issues :wink: ). My muscles shake when exerted all the time, so it's not that unusual for me anymore.

Hope this helps,
Gary
garym

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group