Perceived weakness

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Perceived weakness

Postby Katie on April 4th, 2004, 3:40 pm

Hi,

Can anyone help me with this -- I've had these fasiculations and even tremor-type feeling in my left forearm and hand [thumb area] for a few days now. It's on & off. Has me a bit freaked out. Today it feels like this whole area is weak -- I've been testing my strength and I'm lifting my 30 lb. boy okay but when I'm just sitting with it, it feels weak and strange. I wonder if it feels that way because it's been attacked by twitches and vibration in the last few days. I had my husband help me test it -- by squeezing his hand -- seems okay. But when I'm not using it, it feels weak. I'm walking around holding my hand in my other hand -- squeezing it to try to get it stronger again.

Is this normal with BFS? I've read here lots about perceived weakness -- I hope that's what this is, but it's hard to tell. Have had this on & off in my left leg, too -- once in a while it feels weak but I walk okay and can still do everything.

Anyway, any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.
Katie
Katie

Postby kim on April 4th, 2004, 4:21 pm

Hi Katie!

I think we all had percieved weakness here. If you're focusing on one particular area, your mind can make you think you are feeling something you are not. I had the same feeling in one of my legs, and my face, and I had even convinced myself I couldn't swallow for a time. It was all anxiety. Once I had my EMG and was told no ALS, those symtoms went slowly away. But it wasn't until anxiety meds that all symptoms left me.

Hope you find some comfort soon!

Kim
kim
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Jenn311 on April 4th, 2004, 6:57 pm

Katie....

I think that feeling is due to your constant testing of your strength...I have done that to myself many times before. Stop testing yourself and that weird feeling will go away. BTW, my left arm and hand are the worst affected areas for me.

Jen
Jenn311
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group