Worried about weakness

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Worried about weakness

Postby cjfc on March 31st, 2004, 4:24 am

Hello everyone,

After developing several twitches I’ve been reading this great website for the last few months (though this is the first time I’ve posted). My twitching started with a twitch in my right index finger last November. After eight days of near continuous twitching and a trip to the doctors it suddenly disappeared. Then back in January multiple twitches started to flare up. I’ve now had a range of twitches all over my body for the last three months. The majority of twitches have been very random in terms of where they occur, when they occur and what they are like. However, I’ve had few continuous twitches / hot spots. These have been located in left eye lid and left calf. In addition I’ve had feelings of cramp in my left leg and foot and numbness in my little fingers. Just like most people on this board I’ve been very worried about what was happening and what it could be. This website has been a great help, particularly as my doctor said he had never heard of such symptoms and told me to see what happened to them over a couple of months.

Although the twitching seems to be subsiding I have now developed a feeling of weakness in my left wrist. I can still grip and hold things but it doesn’t feel normal. It’s hard to describe what the weakness feels like. It is a general feeling of tightness in the wrist and when I hold something it feels like my wrist is telling me that it doesn’t want to hold the item and would much rather let it go. The weakness started with a new twitch in my left thumb and middle finger. These twitches occurred on and off for two days and has mainly gone now (just a few minor twitches every so often). Once the twitches subsided a feeling of weakness developed in my thumb and wrist. The feeling of weakness in the thumb has gone but the feeling in my wrist has now lasted four days. I assumed it would pass after a couple of days but still seems as prevalent as it has been. This is understandably starting to get me even more worried about what I may have. Has anyone else had something similar to this or can describe what perceived weakness would feel like compared to the initial stages of clinical weakness (if that’s possible)?

Thankfully my GP has finally referred me to a neurologist but I can’t see him until 14th of April. Hopefully I’ll get a clearer idea of what is affecting me.

Thank you in advance for any help
Christian
cjfc

Postby dwl on March 31st, 2004, 4:55 am

Hi Christian,

"perceived weakness" is very common in bfs - I still get it after 20 months of twitching. Actual weakness means an inability to do things like buttoning a shirt or lifting a cup of tea and unless you have this you are almost certainly in the clear. Try doing a search on this site for "perceived weakness" and you'll see what I mean.

David
dwl
Hero
Hero

Postby uber on March 31st, 2004, 6:12 am

yep DWL has it right on the money...I also have this symptom you are talking about its called perceived weakness, its very common in BFS. As DWL said Clinical weakness would start as dropping things and generally loosing your grip on things or if in your legs you would develop a limp.

Your eyelid twitching sounds more like an Anxiety Symptom which to me could say there are other symptoms attributed to Anxiety.
uber
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby cjfc on March 31st, 2004, 12:48 pm

thanks for your comments

Uber, what other symptoms would you attribute to anxiety?

I'm off to do the search now ...
cjfc

Postby thetwitchkid on March 31st, 2004, 1:05 pm

After a second round of blood tests (apparently all normal). I recently (8 days ago) started taking Lexapro and have seen a significant reduction in my twitching which is leading me to believe in the anxiety/depression angle of BFS. I have also noticed my "obsession" over the twitches has decreased. I am hoping that this may be the true cause in my case. Ironically,I do not have some of the classic anxiety symptoms (i.e. feeling of nervousness, stomach churning etc.) which has lead me to look for other causes. Keep an open mind, take a close look at anxiety (GAD) even if you do not "feel" anxious.
thetwitchkid
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby uber on March 31st, 2004, 1:41 pm

Well its not about what id attribute to Anxiety as I dont know your full story inside and out. But becuase in your brief post here you have dscribed symptoms that are generally associated with Anxiety it makes me wonder what else you are suffering from could be caused by Anxiety.
uber
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby cjfc on April 2nd, 2004, 10:58 am

With regards to Anxiety, there was some before the twitching started (due to breaking up with a long term girlfriend) but stress levels certainly rocketed sky high when the twitching didn’t stop after a week or so (made the usual mistake of googling “twitches” and was confronted with ALS etc). Apart for feeling slightly stressed I wasn’t aware of any other Anxiety related symptoms before the twitching started.

In terms of when the twitching started: about two months after breaking up with a the girlfriend and about two weeks after a case of stomach flu.

Of course I’m hoping for a clean emg when I see the neuro in a couple of weeks as I hope that will help with any Anxiety caused by the twitching.
cjfc

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group