scared and need your advice and knowlage

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

scared and need your advice and knowlage

Postby barbo36 on March 30th, 2004, 11:12 am

Hi, This is the first time I have posted and I am posting to get your opinions since you all have been through this. I have had muscle twitching all over now for 10 months. It started in my stomach I noticed it next on my scalp and since then I have had them everywhere possible. Along with this I get what feels like little needles on my skin or small electric shocks. I also get random pains of different types and had a horrid headache for 2 months also my joints all pop and crack like crazy. I have noticed that the twitching sometimes now is a little less sometimes I will only have one twitch instead of the ones that pulsate for a long time but still get those too.I have no noticable weakness but I tire very easily and sometimes feel like my legs are made out of lead. Also I generally feel very tight but I can still stretch well. I have had all tests except emg. I have no insurance and would have to pay cash for the emg.My pcp says anxiety and a rheumy says fibro but when I told him about the amount of twitching he said sounds more neuro to him.At the moment I am out ofmoney but would like an emg done when I can. I geuss what I want to know from you all is does this sound like als? I have been terrified for months now since I saw als symptoms on the web. Could you all please reply with any info you have regaurding als or bfs. Thankyou all in advance! Barb
barbo36

Postby Jenn311 on March 30th, 2004, 12:28 pm

10 months with no weakness definetly doesn't sound at all like ALS. Also, there are no sensory symptoms with ALS. I think you are fine, though I am no doctor. If an EMG is going to help you regain a positive mental outlook and get on with your life, then I say it is worth its weight in gold...but only you can decide that. I have been twitching for 5 years and never had one....though I wish I had in the early stages, just to save myself a lot of grief.

Best of luck to you!

Jen
Jenn311
Saint
Saint

Postby uber on March 30th, 2004, 2:00 pm

Welcome to the forums barbo...like Jenn id like to offer my thoughts on your post.

You have a broad range of symptoms..many sound like what I suffer from. There could be many reasons from your symptoms but ALS is not 1 of them...not only do your symptoms not sound anything like ALS at all, but as Jenn said 10 months without weakness leaves ALS very unlikely.

The possible cause of your symptoms? hmmm there is a big list...it doesnt sound much like MS to me as nothing you have is localised to 1 area. Also Parkinsons is pretty much off the list as you arent showing any signs of tremor and any signs of a movement disorder. Id be looking at things like Fibro, Anxiety...BFS is a maybe, also some milder cases of MG & CFS can display symptoms like yours. Best thing to do is see how your symptoms progress over the next 6 month...take things from there.
uber
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Pole on March 31st, 2004, 5:21 am

Barbo, I don't think you have als. I've had exactly the same sympthoms for 12 months. No weakness but like you easy muscle fatigue (sometimes). I twitch a lot - somedays every minute I have a pulsation episode. I had emg after 2 months of twitching - clean.

regards
Marcin
Pole
Hero
Hero

Thankyou

Postby barbo36 on March 31st, 2004, 7:22 am

Thankyou for replying and giving me your opinions about this it has eased my mind a little wich I really needed. This has been such a hard thing to deal with for me. I hope that we all stop twitching someday and I also hope to continue posting you all . Its nice when you find people that have and are going through the same things. I know that I am not alone now
barbo36

Thankyou

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group