Final emg

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Final emg

Postby garym on March 29th, 2004, 10:02 pm

Just wanted to let everyone know that tomorrow I go for what i hope is my final emg and then I see the dr. on thursday. After my current neuro said he could no longer "rule out" anything bad, and suggested i get another opinion, i decided to. So tomorrow i begin the quest for answers one last time, and this time, I will be seen at one of the best neuro depts. in the country, Baylor College of Medicine in the Texas Medical Center.

I had made a decision not to get anymore tests for atleast a year, but I just couldn't shake the fact that my dr. who had previous told me several times "no als" backed off the stance when the "atrophy" (his word) in my leg showed up. So here i go again........lets hope for the best, BFS!!! Hey, that kinda rhymes :D , maybe it will be my new theme!

I'll let you guys know what they say.

Gary
garym

Postby Pole on March 30th, 2004, 1:56 am

I hope everything will be OK.

Marcin
Pole
Hero
Hero

it will be

Postby SCOTT on March 30th, 2004, 10:52 am

after all this time...it will also be normal and you can go on with your life

scott
SCOTT

Postby Jenn311 on March 30th, 2004, 12:31 pm

Bueno suerte amigo...

Let us know how it goes.

Jen :wink:
Jenn311
Saint
Saint

Postby Pole on March 31st, 2004, 5:13 am

How about your results, Gary?
Marcin
Pole
Hero
Hero

Postby garym on March 31st, 2004, 8:12 am

as soon as i get them, i'll let you guys know. I see the dr. on thursday.

Gary
garym

Postby Pole on March 31st, 2004, 8:44 am

But your test is done?

If yes - did the doctor make any comments during or after the test?

Marcin
Pole
Hero
Hero

Postby garym on March 31st, 2004, 11:42 am

yes, the test is done, but the dr. didn't say much. He did find fasciculations, but i already knew i had those. One curious thing he asked was if i had had any shots in my leg where the atrophy is. That leads me to believe he isn't worried about it. The funny thing is that the muscle loss is almost in the exact place where one of the original emg needles was inserted. That particular spot left a bruise about the size of a coin (quarter) that was there over a week. It was the only bruising i had from the entire exam. Maybe it is connected..........who knows.

BTW, i think the young drs. that were allowed to do emg on me after the main dr. was finished were really excited to see fascics. I didn't share their enthusiasm, but it is a teaching hospital so i didn't complain about being a pin cushion :? . It was all in the name of science...............

I'll let you know what the dr. says.

Gary
garym

Postby jcavan4125 on March 31st, 2004, 12:35 pm

Hi Garym,
Our thoughts are with you! If fascics were all the doctor found, then all sounds well. Keep us informed.
Joe... "That which does not kill us makes us stronger"! - Nietzsche
jcavan4125
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Results

Postby garym on April 1st, 2004, 2:32 pm

Well, I'm going to start with the great news, no ALS! The dr. said that after eight months of fascics, i would have more advanced changes on the emg, but they did find something in both triceps, other than fascics......and dangit, i forgot to have him explain what was found, it was something like non-specific nerve damage. He asked if i had any shoulder injuries, which I clearly have in the past while playing college football. Nothing lately.

He is going to send some blood work out to the mayo clinic for some special antibody test that only they do, and said based on the findings he will reschedule with me. I don't really know what the test is for, but I went on his recommendation. The dang thing cost $500.00 dollars, and it isn't covered by insurance :cry: !

BTW, his name is DR. Harati, and he is at the MDA/Baylor University Medical School (Houston), and he says he was the first person to write in a medical paper that if a person feels their fascics, they are probably benign. I thought that was pretty cool. He then went on to say that there are three to four different conditions that can cause benign fascics, and said he wasn't sure if I had BFS, but he believes they are benign. With the emg, and this man's creditials, I'm forgeting about ALS based on his assesment. The bad news was that he has seen these types of problems last for years (we all know it happens!), and I didn't necessarily want to hear that, but atleast I aint gonna die from it!

Thanks to everyone for their support the past several days, I truly appreciate it. I will let you guys know what comes back from mayo in about 5-6 weeks.

Thanks for the support,
Gary
garym

Postby Jenn311 on April 1st, 2004, 2:36 pm

Great news Gary...it's Miller Time!
J
Jenn311
Saint
Saint

Postby thetwitchkid on April 1st, 2004, 3:02 pm

Gary:

Great News !!! I 'm glad you will be around to obsess about dying from a disease that none of us have :D .

I received a call from my GP today telling me that my Thyroid is off.
Maybe that's my issue. I go Tuesday for more extensive bloodwork.
When I had the thyroid tested when the twitches began last year it was normal. However, I'm told it can take time to show up in the tests.

Hope its something simple, treatable and I can become a "former" BFS'er !
thetwitchkid
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby dwpierce on April 1st, 2004, 4:44 pm

Awesome!!!!

I like hearing his support as to if you feel em you are most likely fine :)

Now not one more minute of worry over the ###. TIme to move on amd enjoy.

Thanks for sharing
Dave
dwpierce

Postby jcavan4125 on April 1st, 2004, 5:01 pm

Hi Garym,
Fantastic news! I know you are relieved. I trust that the nerve damage in the triceps must not be too serious since you don't complain of symptoms there (at least not that I can recall). Keep us informed.
Joe... "That which does not kill us makes us stronger"! - Nietzsche
jcavan4125
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby twitching man on April 2nd, 2004, 1:57 am

glad to hear it. i know you will sleep well tonight.
paul
twitching man

Sponsor

Sponsor

Next

Return to The Support Group