What kind of pain have you experienced?

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

What kind of pain have you experienced?

Postby RexM on March 16th, 2004, 6:58 pm

I've had all of the types and locations of twitching [especially heavy in feet and calves], along with periodic [and temporary] numbness and tingling, and occasional light cramps in legs or arms. Also episodes of fatigue. However, the only pain I've experienced has been localized in my feet after doing a regular four mile walk, or standing all day at a volunteer center where I work. However, this pain is more than that which used to accompany those same activities before I started having the twitching. It seems to me that if BFS is a "hyperexcitability of the neuro muscular system" it could be making the nerves and muscles in the feet more sensitive to the repetitive pounding of the walking activity.

I've read of "pain" with some of you, and am wondering how it presents itself, to see whether the foot pain I've had may be similar.

When I describe all of these symptoms to my neuro [who looks about 20 years old and doesn't speak very clear English], she looks at me like I'm the only one who has ever told her about similar ones.
RexM
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby karen_marietta on March 16th, 2004, 7:32 pm

Hi Rex,

Me again! LOL

You put it very well by saying a "hyperexcitability of the neuro muscular system". If the bottoms of your feet are feeling crampy and tired, and are the places where you feel what you perceive to be actual pain and unpleasant sensations, then your nerves could very well be irritated. The peripheral nerves that extend down our legs are mostly governed by the cauda equina...the "horse's tail" bundle of nerves that form the end of our spinal cord. The spinal cord ends just below our waist level, then the horse's tail begins.

There are so many possible causes of irritation or upset..most of them are transient and feel a whole lot worse than they portray.

Interesting stuff, would love to hear how you are doing...please keep us posted.

Thanks!
Karen
karen_marietta
Interested
Interested

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group