other possible causes of twitching

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

other possible causes of twitching

Postby karen_marietta on March 14th, 2004, 1:16 pm

Hello all,

There is another forum I visit for people that have similar nerve symptoms such as twitches, burning sensations, jerks, etc. Some of them have medical conditions that have been clinically diagnosed such as diabetes, and some of them do not. The common factor is the hyperactivity of their nervous system and how it manifests in those strange fasciculations, et al.

I have discovered, since joining that forum, that benign fasciculations can be caused by many varying and correctable factors. There are those that do not assimilate vitamin B12 very efficiently, B12 being essential for a healthy nervous system. There are those that have allergies, such as to wheat. When I started reading about all the possible triggers to twitches, muscle fatigue and even heart palpitations, it was comforting to know that most causes are very benign and while uncomfortable and disturbing, do not indicate the very rare diseases such as ALS.

Our nervous systems hang in such a delicate balance, that even the slightest aggravation or upset can mimic symptoms of unlikely diseases.

My younger son, 15, is what you would call slightly asthmatic, slightly allergic, slightly sensitive. He gets bitten by a mosquito, and the bite swells up until he looks like the son of the elephant man. He plays with a cat, and he sneezes all night long. His skin gets too dry, and eczema immediately pops up. He plays hockey too long in the cold air, and he starts to wheeze. I used to freak out about his symptoms, but over the years we have both learned how to deal with his sensitivities, as thankfully they are relatively mild. His wheezing did not indicate cystic fibrosis...his eczema did not indicate leprosy...his reaction to mosquito bites did not indicate he was a giant neurofibroma waiting to happen.

Our nervous systems are no more immune to sensitivity than the kid with the allergies. Some of our nervous systems are just more sensitive than others. It is a normal variation of the norm, if that makes sense! :lol:

Thanks for letting me add my thoughts to this forum. I have already learned so much from you all.

Karen

*Subject title edited from B12 to enhance the generality of subject matter.
karen_marietta
Interested
Interested

B-12...curious

Postby Tricia Bunnell on March 27th, 2004, 6:25 pm

I'm curious about what you read. I've thought of taking, or having a b-12 shot BUT I've noticed that I really don't want to take anything that "strengthens" my nervous system. Before I knew about BFS I tried any and everything that would help. I noticed when I took things to "strengthen" my nervous system the twitches/cramping got worse. I don't know if this is typical or not, since I'm fairly new to the forum. Also...I don't know if it's worse in the beginning and then gets better type of thing.

Tricia
Tricia Bunnell

Postby karen_marietta on March 27th, 2004, 6:56 pm

Hi Tricia!

Welcome to this forum. I believe you are wise to research before you jump into any type of therapy, for sure.

If you are interested in a technical group that is similar to this one, you might want also to visit http://www.braintalk.org

Lots and lots of really great, up-to-the-minute information there on all sorts of stuff, particularily anything related to the nervous system. Between this group and that group, I have enough information to make better informed decisions.

Thanks for sharing, hope to hear more from you soon! Also hope that the other wonderful folks here may be able to provide you with more insight as to your particular situation.

Karen :)
karen_marietta
Interested
Interested

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group