Twitches as a sign of healing

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Twitches as a sign of healing

Postby karen_marietta on March 13th, 2004, 7:53 pm

Hello all :)

Fasciculations may also be a sign of nerve regeneration after injury.

Years ago, I had damaged nerve roots in my lumbar spine. As the nerves regenerated, the accompanying muscle fasciculations gradually travelled down my legs.

In the beginning there were none at all... and then the twitching started in my thighs...centipedes running just under my skin. The ripples were visible to the naked eye and increased in frequency and intensity for at least 6 months, and then tapered off.

Then it moved down to my calves... same increase in intensity and frequency...reached a peak of almost constant activity and then eventually ceased. Finally the twitches settled in my feet, before they went away completely. The entire process took about 3 years from start to finish. Once it was done, all pain and weird sensations ( buzzing, tingling, electric shocks, etc.) finally went away.

This may have been a "coming alive" of the muscles that the damaged nerves innervated. Sometimes, increased pain, twitches and hyperactivity may be a good sign when it comes to muscles and nerves. Even the slightest insult to our nerves or spinal cord can cause this prolonged reaction. It does not mean it is permanent...it just means that it may take a long time to heal, and heal it will.

Karen
Last edited by karen_marietta on March 14th, 2004, 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
karen_marietta
Interested
Interested

Postby Nole on March 14th, 2004, 1:05 am

Well then, I think I am healing well! Interesting thought!??
NOLE
Nole
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby karen_marietta on March 14th, 2004, 1:15 am

Hi Nole!

Thanks for responding to my post. What have your experiences been?

Karen
karen_marietta
Interested
Interested

Postby Arron on March 15th, 2004, 12:05 pm

karen, your are right, and that's exactly why ALS twitches happen. As the nerves start to disconnect, and before they die-off, they try to re-connect and as a "last ditch effort", it causes your muscle to twitch.

Keep in mind though, the big thumpers we BFS'ers get all too often are NOT "fasciculations" at all, they are just big contractions, and have nothing to do with a basic little "twitch" that you get with a nerve trying to regenerate. True fasciculations are hardly even felt. You can't miss big thumpers though, especially when they move your clothing or a whole limb of your body.
Arron

Postby thetwitchkid on March 15th, 2004, 12:15 pm

Karen:

Your post is most encouraging to me since my twitches (migrating all over) began after I hurt my back and was working with a chiroprator.
I have had a clean neuro exam, brain MRI and EMG/NCS. My back no longer hurts (1 year later) but I still have random twitching, buzzing, odd feelings.

Thanks
Be well.
thetwitchkid
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby karen_marietta on March 15th, 2004, 1:06 pm

Hello All,

Arron and The Twitch Kid, thanks so much to both of you for your responses!

It confirms that there are so many possibilities for our "twitches", whether they are true medically defined "fasciculations" or merely symptoms that mimic them.

Arron, I believe your intent is to reassure about 99.9% of the population that their symptoms are benign, not an indicator of a serious disease, and no more fatal than watching several "Fear Factor" episodes in a row! (Although, I still have doubts in that regard...eating worms simply cannot be good for you...the jury is still out on that fatality factor!)

Twitch Kid, I think you will find that as the years go by, your nerves will settle down and their protests become a distant memory.

Interesting stuff, huh? We often tend to search for answers in places that we believe have the answers...but perhaps still not the answers to OUR questions!

Keep open minds...trust that the logical odds are in your favour, realize that we as humans still don't have all the explanations for all the benign symptoms that we can experience. Some of them may baffle...and yet, science is still very much an inexact science.

God's blessings to all!
Karen
:)
karen_marietta
Interested
Interested

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group