anyone tried Carbamazepine/Tegretol for twitches?

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

anyone tried Carbamazepine/Tegretol for twitches?

Postby marieclare on March 10th, 2004, 11:29 pm

My neuro suggested it but I have not tried it yet. Has anyone tried it?
marieclare
marieclare
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby garym on March 11th, 2004, 7:44 pm

marieclaire,

I haven't tried tegretol, but I have used trileptal (oxcarbamazepine) which is the second generation version of the drug. I can't say that it helped my twitching, but it did help with pain and fatigue. I say give it a try.

Good luck,
Gary
garym

Tegretol for twitches

Postby Tricia Bunnell on March 26th, 2004, 9:23 pm

Hi,

I've been an on again off again poster on this forum (mostly off again). I've been taking Tegretol for a little over a year now and all I have to say is that it was a life saver for me. My twitches are minimal compared to what they were.

I know that the "good" news is that this is considered a "benign" condition, but for me it was bad news too. I had twitches and cramping so bad that I wanted it to be terminal just so the nightmare would stop! My neuro tested me for all the "biggies"...ALS, MS, Parkinsons and they were negative, but offered no other explaination for my problem. Then I found this forum. It made sense out of things for me and I was able to go to my GP and show him what I had found. He said something like "yep...sounds like that's what you've got all right. What would you like me to do about it"? Gawd...first I have to find my own diagnosis and then I have to decide on a treatment for myself. I asked for Tegretol. It really has helped.

If you haven't tried it yet, it's not that bad.

Hope to hear from you again,

Tricia
Tricia Bunnell

Postby marieclare on March 27th, 2004, 12:08 am

Thanks for all the info on Tegretol----How much do you take and what side effects do you have--I have the prescription filled--I just can't bring myself to try another medication that wont help or gives me awful side effects!!! If it really will help with the CONSTANT twitching and thumping and hot spots tht would be a miracle!! This has been SEVEN years for me!
marieclare
marieclare
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Tegretol

Postby Tricia Bunnell on March 27th, 2004, 6:15 pm

Hi Marieclaire,

I take 200 mg twice a day. The timed release kind. Side effects? I think in the beginning I was a little bit tired, but that wore off quickly. I've been on it over a year now, and it really has been a blessing. I still have twitches of various sorts, but not nearly as often or as bad. I have it with cramping so it was awfully painful. It's nice to not be in pain.

Tricia
Tricia Bunnell

Postby marieclare on March 28th, 2004, 3:14 pm

I'm lucky that I don't have cramping! Doesn't fybromialgia have cramping? I will probably try the Tegretol soon!! Thanks again for your informtion--I'll post after i try it!!
marieclare
marieclare
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group