New Member Story

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

New Member Story

Postby bradfordpp on March 4th, 2004, 11:31 am

I am a 36 yr old guy from Denver CO. About a year ago I came down with a short-lived but terrible gastrointestinal virus. Vommiting, cramps fever, etc. It didnt last long and within several days I felt 100%. Shortly thereafter my left eye began twitching. Didn't think much about it initially, figured i was just tired or perhps just a bit stressed. This twitch lasted nearly a month on and off with no other symptoms. The intensity of the twitch started to cause me concern so I did what any other mild hypochondriac would do, I researched it on-line. Almost concurrently my left thumb began to tremor. We'll as you can imagine I immediatley found material about ALS, MS, etc. I litterally had a full blown panic attack! Thats when my left leg began to feel heavy and lazy and the entire realm of twitches all over my body began in earnest. I went to see my primary care physician and he referred me to neurologist. Luckily i was able to see him the same day as he is a family friend. He is perhaps the most experienced neurologist in Denver and sees MS and ALS presentation all the time. He immediatley ruled out ALS and told me it was a benign condition. No EMG or MRI was ordered as he felt it unwarranted. His quick diagnosis was reassuring in one aspect but left me feeling a bit "unresolved" as well. We did a follow up visit several weeks later with a similar conclusion. He told me to focus on the fact that the symptoms I was manifesting were BENIGN. Since then, its been about 9 months and the symptoms come and go. For a week or two i feel like perhaps the condition has passed. Then without any apparent cause they blow up again. I have electric like wormy sensations in my feet, random fascics, mild face numbness and more recently, which is causing some concern, bizzarre vibrating sensations with vertigo in my head when i am just awaking in the morning or after a nap. I often feel tired and occasionally my hands ache mildly. I feel like i have become this neurotic hypochondriac that constantly "evaluates" my condition...i strength test, check my vision by alternating open and closing my eyes to check for blurred vision, etc etc...I'm sure everyone here can mostly relate. I try in earnest to figure out what is wrong with me. The only conclusions i have reached is that my state is affected mostly by bouts of depression. If i feel particularly down the symptoms seem to climax. I also have a history of general anxiety which i believe exacerbates the process further. I have begun to stay inside more and more and find myself slowly withdrawing from activities i used to enjoy- flyfishing, kayaking, socializing. I recently broke up with my girlfriend because i felt like i was holding her back so to speak. My alone time, which is frequent now, only adds to the problem as i have more time to "think". BFS, if that is what i truly have, is by no means benign. Not in a physical sense perhaps but more so in a psychological sense. My life, since that intitial day on the internet has been turned upside down. I often wonder if the rollercoaster symptoms are something ill be dealing with for the rest of my life? Anyway, i find typing this cathartic to some degree as i imagine others reading this to be understanding. Does anyone else here ever feel vertigo or weird vibrating sensations upon awaking? Does anyone else here have a history of general anxiety? thanks in advance guys!
bradfordpp

Postby Jenn311 on March 4th, 2004, 1:07 pm

I can totally relate to your story. I have GAD as well...though I have learned to control it by becoming a more assertive person, strange as that may sound.

And yes, it is completely normal for symptoms to come and go....mine have for over five years now. I think once you have BfS you are stuck with it. But spending a lot of alone time manifesting on your symptoms is indeed a downward spiral! Get out there and have some fun. Nine months of twitching without weakness indeed signals a benign prognosis, I would think. Maybe therapy for your depression would help? Or an anti-depressant?

You found the right place...hang in there! Things will get better.

Jen :wink:
Jenn311
Saint
Saint

Postby marieclare on March 4th, 2004, 4:16 pm

I am from Denver too--I have had BFS for SEVEN years--I have learned to live with it but it is really hard!!! I'm glad to see that there is someone not too far from me who has this annoying syndrome too--___I really would like to meet someone ELSE with BFS!!
marieclare
marieclare
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby garym on March 5th, 2004, 10:49 am

Could this be a love connection :lol: ? We could revamp the site!

Just kidding, but I needed the humor...........

Gary
garym

Postby marieclare on March 7th, 2004, 2:27 pm

VERY funny!!!! I just have always thought that it would be nice to MEET someone--ANYONE that shared this same miserable syndrome!!!! i am MARRIED you see and not in the least interested in LOVe!!hahaha!!!
your post did make me laugh and forget the major twitch in my leg for a second!!!
marieclare
marieclare
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby uber on March 7th, 2004, 4:08 pm

Hi...yep your story is very similar to a lot of those who also come here, altho twitching isnt indicative of MS, I have also had the MS & MND worries too.

Stay strong, we are all here to support you.
uber
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group