neuro visit

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

neuro visit

Postby garym on February 23rd, 2004, 11:28 am

Hey everyone,

Just thought i would post today, before going to my neuro. I am a little anxious about the visit because I'm having some weird symptoms. I haven't mentioned it on the forum before, but in october i found an area on my left thigh where the muscle had an indention. I showed the dr. and he wasn't that concerned, just wanted to "watch it". I saw him again in December, and he said he didn't think it had gotten any bigger, still wanted to just watch it. Since then, it has clearly increased in size, and is completely obvious when you look at my leg. I've also started having cramps in my hamstrings. Now, I've worked hard at beating the anxiety that goes along with this crap, and have done a pretty good job. That is one of the reasons I haven't mentioned this before, I didn't want to deal with it. Finally, I don't think this is anything serious, but i don't know what it is, and that is nerve wracking.

Anyway, I just wanted to get it off my chest. I'll let you guys know what the dr. says.

Gary
garym

Postby Dale on February 23rd, 2004, 12:07 pm

Gary - There have been many of us on this BB who have noticed thigh "dents", myself included. The more you pay attention to them, the larger they become. It's like having a pimple on the tip of your nose... Try not to get too worked up before the appointment, you'll be fine!

Good luck today & let us know how things go, although I'd bet the igloo that I already know the answer!

Dale
Dale
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby garym on February 23rd, 2004, 3:10 pm

Dale,

I just got back from the dr. visit and it wasn't that bad. He said he has no idea why the atrophy (his word) in my leg is happening. He said ALS is the main concern, but also said he believes I don't have it. He said given the emg in August that showed no denervation and no other clinical signs, it is unlikely I have anything other than BFS. He said only time will tell.

You are definitely right about obssesing about something and that it makes it appear to be worse. I'm just going to continue to believe that it is BFS and try to move on.

Take care,
Gary
garym

Postby sarahtonin on February 24th, 2004, 4:14 am

Gary

I'm sorry to appear to have some atrophy in your thigh but if there has been progression it has been very slow. And of course there are a lot of things that can cause it.

Other than that how have your legs been - I don't think you've had any weakness? Also, normally ALS will start distally so symptoms would be unlikely to start in your thigh.

Can you give us more info, or are you just trying to not think about it?

Sarah
sarahtonin

Postby Arron on March 4th, 2004, 1:59 pm

Atrophy can be caused by back problems and pinched nerve problems.

Case in point, my neighbor is a healthy old cuss. Kind of an old salty dog Navy guy. He wrenched his back one day and over a span of about 6-8 months, his right arm shrivled-up to almost a skelital looking thing. He went to the doctors and they really didn't know why it was happening.

About a year of this went by and sure enough, one day, his back "popped" and shortly after that, his arm began to re-grow. Now it's completely normal looking and you'd never know that anything ever even happened.

My point here is, you can't always be afraid a little "atyrophy" is ALS. I have always had one calf that is noticably smaller than the other, and the small one is on my strong leg, so it's not anthing to do with favorism to that particular leg. It's just smaller.

Maybe you simply have something else (other than ALS) causing the muscles to shrink a little? Shrunk veins in that area that are not supplying blood and oxygen to that muscle? Blocked veins? Pinched nerve somewhere?

The bottom line is, if it was ALS, it would show-up on an EMG. If your EMG is clean, move-on with life and just accept that somewhere on your body, you are going to have an area that is not symetrical.. so what? You are still the same person :-) and probably perfectly healthy.
Arron

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group