I'm very worried

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

I'm very worried

Postby Katie on February 17th, 2004, 10:25 pm

Hi all,

I used to be on this site a year ago -- had twitching all over. It gradually subsided with time and I did get better. The thing about my twitching is that it was never in one place, or one limb -- if I felt it in my left foot, then I also felt it a minute or two later in my right arm, or my eyelid. That's how I knew not to worry.

However, since yesterday, something weird is going on with my left arm. I keep getting twitches in my hand, and then my bicep -- then even at the top of my arm. My arm feels weird -- I want to say it feels weak, and I don't really know if it's weaker or not -- it may be but I am just not sure. I've kind of been keeping the arm close to my body all day because I'm just a bit freaked out about it. I wish I would feel a twitch somewhere else beside my arm, but I just don't. I had hoped it would subside today. It's not been twitching all day, but on and off. It almost feels like there's an underlying electric current at times going through my arm.

I hate to become so worried, but I am. I hate that my mind goes to that dreaded disease that many of us fear on this board -- I hate that it goes there -- but at times like this it does. I don't mind benign twitches. As a matter of fact, I fretted about them for so long and had an EMG and several neurologist visits. I worried for months and months about it. Then one day, I decided to believe that these things were benign, and they didn't bother me at all when they came. Eventually, they went away.

If anybody here can say anything to me - anything - about why this might not be anything really serious, please do so. I am a bit sick to my stomach about this right now. I thought these days of worrying were behind me.

Thank you.

Katie
Katie
Katie

hello Katie

Postby John on February 17th, 2004, 11:07 pm

I do not think you have anything to worry about . I to have had a decline in my Twitches . Mine were very bad at one point and now are almost non exsistent on a day to day basis ,but I also have the ocasional days that they are as bad as they once were . WHY ? I don't know ,but I do not let it get me down ,nor do I focuss on it . The more that we cocentrate on a percieved negitive , then the more apt we are to create a true negitive . Please do not fall into that trap .
Good luck :)

John
John

Postby garym on February 17th, 2004, 11:12 pm

Katie,

I wouldn't get too worked up about the arm twitches. The fact that you started twitching a year ago and had a clean emg pretty much eliminates something serious, especially if you have no weakness/atrophy or lack of coordination. Within a year, you would almost certainly have major problems that couldn't be ignored. I would guess that you are just experiencing a flare up of a "hot spot".

Take a deep breath and remember how you got past the fear last time. That always seems to help me.

Take care,
Gary
garym

Postby Jenn311 on February 18th, 2004, 1:22 am

Katie...

My twitches have been off and on for five years. Here's two pointers: Worrying makes you twitch more, so cut that out. Next, stop testing the strength in your arm...that will make it feel weak. You are fine, like Gary said, one year later and no weakness plus clean EMG=benign. You may have this the rest of your life, it will come and go. Get used to it and don't let it frighten you.

However, if you are so worried that you are making yourself sick, call the neuro and tell him what's going on. Then maybe go see him if it would make you feel better. But don't sit at home and fret about it.

Peace girlfriend,
Jen
Jenn311
Saint
Saint

Postby COOPER on February 18th, 2004, 9:03 am

I stopped twitching about 9mths ago, but i still regularly get a hot spot every so often in one localised part of my body. Sometimes lasts for up to a week! Try to stop focusing on it, as we all know anxiety will only make it worse.
COOPER

Thanks

Postby Katie on February 18th, 2004, 2:09 pm

Thanks, everyone. I remember when I twitched a lot, I would get these "perceived weakness" feelings in either my arms or my legs [whichever area was bothering me at that time]. I've got that going on in my arm -- and it's unsettling.

I know that anxiety only makes this worse. I don't mind the benign twitching, but sometimes -- especially when it crops up again out of the blue -- I can't help but get worried. I've been told that I have a very sensitive nervous system. I took a medication months before my initial twitching ever started, and it caused all kinds of neuro problems that lasted for a year or more after I stopped taking the medication. I think it lead to the twitching, too.

Thanks again.

Katie
Katie
Katie

Postby Arron on March 4th, 2004, 2:06 pm

I have had my left arm get so weak that I couldn;t keep it on the steering wheel when driving! I had to let it dangle down between the door and seat of my car.

This has happened 2 or 3 times to me in a few years of having this stuff and several other people have described very similar symptoms in their arms, as well as other limbs.

Just because it is in your left arm, and that "can" be a sign of a possible heart problem, I would go see a doctor just to make sure you don't have some kind of heart thing or circulation thing going-on. It certainly sounds like a BFS related symptom, but because a heart problem can be dangerous, it would be a good idea just to go get your blood presure checked and a quick check-up to make sure.

Other than that, BFS does not, and will not "turn into" ALS, and none of your symptoms sound anything even remotely like ALS, so I would just keep moving-on with life :-) and not worry about it too much.
Arron

Postby uber on March 5th, 2004, 7:20 am

I agree with what Jen said...I kept testing the strength in my hand/arm etc and after id lift heavy things for a while or grip things really tight or lift weights etc...id think "oh well I guess I dont have any real weakness" then 2-3 mins later my arm would obviously feel tired due to the exercise id just done and would usually then start to twitch..especially on my bicep..this would then freak me out and make my anxiety's worse than they already were.
uber
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Pole on March 5th, 2004, 9:24 am

Uber,
like I would read my own story :)

I resigned some time ago from self-strenght-testing. I think that if I have weakness it would be obvious and no testing would be needed.

The only situation when I feel "weakness" now is when I run for a while I have a strange feeling (like stiffness) in front of my calves. Not in these big calf muscles but in front side.

regards
Marcin
Pole
Hero
Hero

Postby Arron on March 5th, 2004, 7:03 pm

Keep in mind, with BFS, "exercise intolerance" is a very common symptom, and what it means is that you take much longer to recover after exercising than you once did before you had BFS, and it usually hurts quite a bit more than it used to as well.

In other words, you don't just "feel the burn" of exercise anymore, it lasts with you for several days sometimes and it can make you quite sore and shaky aftrwards, and in most incidences, it will cause twitching in the muscles you were just exercising. Again, this is real common. I have it too.
Arron

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group