UPCOMING EMG AND BRISK REFLEXXXes

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

UPCOMING EMG AND BRISK REFLEXXXes

Postby Jayel on February 9th, 2004, 10:07 pm

Hey guys & gals-

Saw the neuro today on a fluke. Dropped something off and he was willing to look me over since it has been 3 months and 6 months since last EMG. TOngue looked normal to him, despite my worries, and strength was very good. In August, upon initial exam, reflexes were very normal-hardly a kick. In November, I noticed it even felt different. Today, same thing. I asked him how he would classify them, he said they were "brisk". I asked him how my reflexes could change so rapidly and he shrugged and said with neurology it is not always predictable. He did offer that he feels the twitching is BFS. He said he will do an EMG of arm, leg and neck/tongue next Monday. I told him I thought one clear EMG was enough, he said he disagreed, but still was not particularly concerned as my babinski sign was negative. I did mention the Mayo study. He is a highly regarded local neuro, obviously not a Mayo doc. Why are the facts conflicting!?

I am worried, confused and just need an on-line arm around the shoulder.

Has anyone gone from NORMAL to BRISK reflexes as a result of this disorder? I wonder if it affects that part of our brain but is not anything awful? Does anyone else have brisk reflexes, but doesn't know if they changed or not (i.e. hadn't had them checked prior to twitches).

I'll be checking in regularly to see if anyone can offer any feedback. You guys are the best!

Jayel
Jayel
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Jenn311 on February 9th, 2004, 11:29 pm

Anxiety can cause brisk reflexes. They are not pathological, so don't worry about it. If you neuro remains unconcerned, you should too.

Jen
Jenn311
Saint
Saint

Postby sarahtonin on February 10th, 2004, 4:34 am

Jayel

As Jen said, brisk reflexes are common due to anxiety.

As for some of your neuro's other comments I would have to respectfully disagree with his comment about the babinski sign (being so knowledgeable myself :wink: ) - it's absence is not conclusive of anything. But this does NOT mean you should start to worry about it. If your strength was good then you do not need to worry about MND.

He's probably covering his butt re the EMG - let us know how you get on.

Sarah
sarahtonin

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group