New to forum and EMG tomorrow

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

New to forum and EMG tomorrow

Postby dwolin on February 9th, 2004, 8:33 pm

I found this site a month or so ago and it made me feel quite a bit better about what I think I have. I also made the mistake or typing in twiching and found ALS (as a lot of folks here did) and freaked out). I have been seeing a very good chiropractor as well as my doctor and tomorrow I have an EMG. The nuero I have seen does not feel as though anything is serious but wants to check everything out. FOr those who have had one, was it painful? I am looking forward to getting results. I assume that if you pass the EMG, that you are OK?

I am a very serious cyclist and have not noticed any decrease in strength although sometimes I feel like a certain muscle is week. I also get the pins and needles feelings in my hands and feet periodically. Seems like that is a symptom as well. THanks for the support.

ALso, does anyone get periodic pain in your feet or joints?

THanks

Danny
Dan Wolin
dwolin

EMG testing

Postby Jayel on February 9th, 2004, 9:09 pm

Danny-

I have had 2 EMG tests so far. They really are not painful to me, they are minor concentrated shocks. For people with an extremely low pain threshold, it might feel painful, but if you have cycled enough to have that burning feeling in your legs, you are good to go tomorrow!
For the peace of mind you will get, it is well worth it! You will find in the archives and even recently in the forum, that a feeling of weakness, but nothing that is measurable--like when your doctor actually does the resistence testing. Also, you will find that pins and needles or in other cases, like mine, a buzzing feeling....all very bizarre!

Best wishes for tomorrow, I am sure the clean EMG will give you the peace of mind for which you are looking!

Jayel
Jayel
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

I forgot

Postby Jayel on February 9th, 2004, 9:10 pm

Danny-

I have posted about the pain in my joints==especially knees and wrists!

Jayel
Jayel
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Thanks

Postby dwolin on February 9th, 2004, 9:14 pm

Thanks everyone. It is nice to know that there are others with the same issues. The times I do not think about it I do not notice it and it does not bother me as much. It will be nice to be done with the testing tomorrow so I can get on with it. I have too much else to do!

I will keep you posted.
Dan Wolin
dwolin

Postby sarahtonin on February 10th, 2004, 4:28 am

Dan

How did you get on?

Sarah
sarahtonin

EMG OK

Postby dwolin on February 10th, 2004, 11:14 am

All,

I had my EMG today - kind of a weird feeling. ANyway, everything checked out OK. They did see facs during the test but no nerve damage at all. A little ulnar compression but he said it was probably from my cycling which makes sense. He wants to see me again in 6 months to followup but otherwise I am good to go. A big relief! Now to relax and not worry about the twitching so much.

I will keep everyone posted.
Dan Wolin
dwolin

Postby thetwitchkid on February 10th, 2004, 11:26 am

Dan:

Glad to hear the good news. A clean EMG is very re-assuring. Sorry though that you are a member of the club !! Please keep us updated

Thanks
thetwitchkid
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby SusanSid on February 12th, 2004, 11:27 pm

Hello Dan,
Your post got my eye. I have had fasciculations for well over 2 years, and I'm still alive and kicking! Seriously, I have them 24/7 in my calves and feet with episodes in my left forearm that are hard to feel or see, but are there for a couple of days at time. My husband, who does not have BFS as far as I know, cycles a lot (100 +miles a week) and when he is asleep I notice fasciculations in his calves and feet. He never notices them and is not the slight bit concerned. It's really noticable after riding. My point, the exercise may make them worse, but keep on exercising!
Sue
SusanSid
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby dwolin on February 12th, 2004, 11:47 pm

Susan,

When this first started I really paid attention to my strength to make sure I was not losing it. I was still able to ride very well without any noticable weakness (arm fatigue though). The cycling seems to help it - possibly because it relaxes me. Nothing twitches while exercising except my eyelids. If a Dr. said stop riding to stop twitching I would not be able to do it - I have been doing it too long to stop. You guys should get a tandem!
Dan Wolin
dwolin

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group