Cramping feet / hands

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Cramping feet / hands

Postby Rodman on January 26th, 2004, 12:54 pm

Hi All
Recently had a nero dx my as BFS. I have a few questions and a few comments. The ALS scare is incredible with this thing. Talk about something that immobilizes you with fear. I read that the twitching and cramping with ALS is particular to the hands and feet. This has stuck in my head because I have this cramping sensation hanging around all the time in my feet. It feels like my toes are on the verge of cramping but don't. Occasionaly if I get my toes moved in a certain way they will cramp. Also my hands are very stiff and I have to concentrate on relaxing them sometimes. My right hand also seems weaker than it used to be. When you say weekness is generaly seen before twitching, what kind of weekness are we talking about.
FYI: I tried alot of different SSRI's for my anxiety and couldn't tolerate any of them. The benzo's are great and a small dose will work fine. Don't sweat the addictive talk. If your so anxious that it is stopping you from living you normal life,,, then try them. They really work great. Virtually no side effects. I use a 1/2 dose of xanax as needed for months now and 1/2 to a whole is still doing the trick after 3 months. I am also trying Gabitril now. This is an anti epileptic med. That is working very well for me. It seems to help the twitching and helps with the anxiety. Only one this for 2 weeks now at a very low dose. Will let you know how it goes.

Take care all.
It's not whether you get knocked down,
It's whether you get back up. V.Lombardi
Rodman

Postby Jenn311 on January 26th, 2004, 7:40 pm

Have you talked to your neuro about this strange sensation in your feet? You may want to ask about RLS (restless leg syndrome, which is benign and actually quite common). It is a the feeling kind of like what you describe, when you feel this incredible urge to move your leg, or at least tense up your muscles in the foot or leg that is being affected. It often happens when you are lying in bed at night and trying to go to sleep. I get it all the time, coming and going...I have read posts where others with BFS have been diagnosed with it as well. SOmething to think about and look into.

Jen :wink:
Jenn311
Saint
Saint

Postby sarahtonin on January 27th, 2004, 8:05 am

Rodman

It seems cramping is pretty common with this BFS stuff - a lot of people have them and I get them sometimes in my feet (like when I point my toes). The tension you feel in your hands is most likely due to clenching them with anxiety!

You say your neuro exam was recent so I'm sure if there was real weakness in your right hand your neuro would have picked it up - that's their job after all. Perceived weakness is a whole different ball game and most of us think, or have thought, that we had it at some time or other.

You'll be fine - trust your neuro (says she :roll: )

Sarah
sarahtonin

Cramp reply

Postby Rodman on January 28th, 2004, 6:37 pm

Thanks Sarah
I appreciate the support.
It's not whether you get knocked down,
It's whether you get back up. V.Lombardi
Rodman

Cramp reply

Sponsor

Sponsor