New member , Twitching six months

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

New member , Twitching six months

Postby Diann on December 16th, 2003, 3:16 pm

:? Hi all,
I'm a new member as of today. I've visited the sight many times this last five months or so. I have found comfort in similar experiences. I started twitching in May. Alot going on in my life, very stressful family problems. It started with a feeling of nervous tension, I couldn't relax, then my bicep started twiching. I didn't think too much of it but then I started having twitches elsewhere. The next week I was laying on my bed and my feet started vibrating. I've been waiting for my neurologist to diagnose me but I don't think that's going to happen soon. He at first acted like it was all in my head and sent me to stress managment.Now the neuro says he thinks I have BSF (I'm the one who brought the name up, he didn't)but I didn't get a clean MRI. I have a couple of small white spots on my brain that he says might be just beneign spots,or could be TIA's or MS. I had clean EMG's of my legs and arms.He just wants to keep watching every six months. I hate hanging in limbo like this. All my symptoms could be anxiety related he said. I have had a terribly stressful year. Part of the stress now is not having a diagnosis. He said MS doesn't usually start with faciculations. I do have a problem with my back also. My spine doctor thinks I have a small bulging disk in my C5-C6, neuro didn't see anything wrong. Well that's where I am. I just feel so weird, I look around and think,no one else know's what's going on inside me. I'm glad they don't, but I think,no one else feels like this. They are normal. I guess I need support from people who understand how it feels to twitch and vibrate.
Thanks,
Diann
Diann

Postby jcavan4125 on December 16th, 2003, 5:25 pm

Hi Diann,
Welcome to the board. With a normal EMG you can rule out ALS, which should reduce your anxiety greatly right away. As far as MS goes it doesn't sound likely; as your Neuro said, MS doesn't usually start with fasciculations. BFS does seem to be the likely diagnosis.
That being said, it doesn't mean that you won't still have bad days and some lingering doubts, it seems to be the nature of the beast. That's what the board is here for! Again welcome.
Joe... "That which does not kill us makes us stronger"! - Nietzsche
jcavan4125
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby thetwitchkid on December 17th, 2003, 10:55 am

Welcome aboard! Sorry you're here, but we understand !!! Think positive and remember it could be a lot worse.
thetwitchkid
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Greata on December 17th, 2003, 8:27 pm

Diann,
Your situation is so close to mine. I started twitching in August, went through all of the tests, everything was normal....bloodwork, strength, 2 EMG's. However, my twitching was still bad and I also started to feel a lot of vibrations and numbness, especially in my neck, legs and arms. My doctor suggested a cervical spine MRI, found one lesion, and then ordered a brain MRI 2 weeks later. He wanted to rule MS out of the picture. There was one lesion found in the brain as well. Although I was worried, he felt that anything less than 5 lesions was not indicative of MS. Lesions come and go, which is weird, as I have a friend who was totally paralyzed and his MRI revealed 20 or 30 lesions...they put him on massive steroids for one month and the lesions were gone...all of them. He regained all functions and has been fine for 4 years. This is why they have us repeat the test after 6 months. I am hoping for zero lesions next Spring.

In the meantime, my symptoms are almost gone. I have infrequent twitching and no numbness. I also have my energy back thank God. I truly believe I suffered from a virus whiich had to run a long course. I do twitch once in a while and I am still stressed at times..but I am so much better. This is going to sound odd, but examine your diet and try to rule in and out things you eat. I have found seafood, specifically crab, to cause the twitching to flare up big time. I realize each person is different, but there are strange allergies out there and some say diet soda pop causes excessive twitching. Just an idea. The fact that my situation improved so dramatically gives me hope yours will too. I was a constant 24/7 twitcher and exhausted for 4 months...I now see the end of that $%&$%$# tunnel.
Greata
PS. I have C5 and C6 issues as well... sore neck, shoulder and even elbow {on the right side} all the time. It stinks!!!
Greata

Postby uber on December 17th, 2003, 10:53 pm

Hi Diann and welcome to the forums :)

Ok with that out the way it seems like you are in the same boat as a lot of us, if all you have experienced is fascicilations that doesnt sound like a "typical" case of MS, although there isnt really such a thing as a typical case of MS. However to put your mind at rest, many people have white spots on their MRI scans, but a neurologist can tell if they are indictive of MS or not, in your case it sounds like you are ok, but id imagine your neuro might will be wanting to check on you every 6 months like you said and keep an eye on the pattern of symptoms you are having. If you have had a clear EMG then its an almost certainty that you dont have ALS, not that ALS presents with fasciclations anyway, as it is commonly known, fascicilations in ALS are caused by muscle atrophy so a patient would definately notice real weakness on some level. Your symptoms could definately have been triggered by stress/anxiety and may never go away and like a lot of the people here it could be BFS. It might help tell us what other symptoms you have noticed and your age too, as many conditions such as ME and Fibromyalgia can often present with symptoms like fascicilations.
uber
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group