Checking back in with a 2003 twitcher

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Postby MarioMangler on October 29th, 2008, 3:56 pm

Hi there, I mentioned before that I have been in contact with a couple of people from the "early" days of this board (2002-2004), and I thought you would be curious to hear how they talked about their BFS scare from a long time ago. I'm not going to use their names since I didn't ask permission, but these are all responses from real people from 5 or more years ago who were once just like us.

Here is the first response I got from an oldtime 2003 message board regular.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Mario,

Wow - that's quite a blast from the past, medically speaking.

My doc put my on Celexa, hoping that would alleviate the symptoms, which were mostly just annoying and occasionally (with an eyelid twitch that came and went) a bit embarrassing. That was a huge mistake. While on the drug, the twitches didn't really change, but while coming OFF the drug, I really felt terrible. Felt like electric jolts surging through my body every 5 minutes. Not fun. And it still didn't do anything to the symptoms.

Interestingly, I'd been going through some pretty stressful times, and once I got through those, the muscle twitches subsided. They've never gone completely away, and they do get more aggravated when I'm really tired and stressed out. Since 2003, though, I've gotten married and had a baby (with another on the way), and it's likely that I simply don't have the time to sit around and ponder every muscle twitch as much as I did back then.

A few other things of note: Other symptoms have pointed to a basic autoimmune deficiency. A rheumatologist recently suggested Sjogren's syndrome, but that turned out not to be much of a match after all - just a few symptoms matched. But there is a rather persistent pattern of bizarre, minor things like BFS that indicate a much deeper, but still not incredibly serious, problem.

Anyway, that's essentially what came of it all. I'm inclined to believe it was a manifestation of the underlying autoimmune deficiency compounded by the stress during that time of my life, but that's completely undiagnosed and largely a 'gut' feeling. My recommendation is just to stop worrying about it and to take up something to relieve whatever might be stressing you out.

Hope this helps.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BFS FAQ:
1. No, that's not bulbar
2. No, the location doesn't matter
3. Yes, we have all had that symptom
4. No, you're not the exception
5. No, that's not ominous
6. No, you don't need an EMG
7. Yes, you will be fine
MarioMangler
Saint
Saint