Connection to low carb diet

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Postby Ivysmom on August 9th, 2008, 5:38 pm

Hey all,
It has been awhile since I've posted, mostly because I am doing so much better. My twitching is not gone altogether, but it is much reduced, and the accompanying anxiety is almost nil. I hope this gives hope to others who are suffering. I was a mess with this about a year ago. I never thought I would have a life again---but I do!!!

I wanted to mention a clear connection I have discovered with the twitching. I have been an on-again-off-again low carb dieter for many years. There is no doubt that it works. If you deplete the glycogen stored in your muscles, your body will start to burn fat. This is the basic principle of how a low carb diet works. Well, I have discovered that when I avoid carbs for about 3 or 4 days, I start to lose weight AND I start to twitch like crazy again. Now this is really a bummer, because it was a form of dieting that really worked for me. Ah well, the message I have now gotten is that it is not good for my muscles.

I don't claim to know the science behind this, but I have conducted my own personal experiments enough to know that for me it is true. All the low carb literature talks about the mechanism of using up the stored sugars in the muscle to force the body to use fat for fuel. But none of it talks about what other purpose glycogen in the muscles might serve. Perhaps it is more that just stored there. Perhaps is has an actual function for the muscle tissue. Does anyone else relate to this? Does anyone know more? I'd love to hear from you.

For the time being it is back to a balanced diet for me......
Beth
Giving Voice Studio
Ivysmom

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group