Newbie needing a little assurance

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Newbie needing a little assurance

Postby NeedAssurance on July 9th, 2008, 3:08 am

Hi gang newbie here,

I am a 26 year old male. In February 2007, I started twitching all over on and off with varying intensities and frequencies of twitch. Needless to say, drove myself crazy with worry/fear. My parents both told me there was nothing to worry about. My mum has been a nurse for 30 years, and told me that if there was even the slightest problem, she would have seen it and told me to see someone.

Anyhows, in October 2007, I got a new job overseas and by the end of that year, the twitches had declined a lot in frequency and intensity to the point where they barely featured in my day to day consciousness. As part of that job I had to have a fairly vigorous medical: blood test showed some of my body functions were slightly outside normal range, but nothing that worried them. Took the results to several doctors who said it was not something that particularly concerned them. One suggested an athletic suplement I took could effect the results, and weeks after I'd stopped taking it results changed in the direction hoped for. One result was unchanged, but the doctor figured it was genetic.

A few weeks ago I noticed a feeling of "tenderness" in my right arm when I carry my briefcase or hold something under my arm. I can type, turn keys, use a pen, unscrew jars and lift pretty heavy weights at the gym. I actually did a little experiment the other night and noticed that when I form a fist and hold it by my side I get the same feeling of "discomfort" when carrying something. This suggests to me that the discomfort is not weakness, but rather some kind of acute injury which is aggravated by certain tasks like carrying the briefcase which involve you holding your arm/hand in that position. Nevertheless, this latest "issue" has caused a whirlwind of self worry.

Anyhows, lets look at this rationally. I have twitched quite regularly for nearly 18 months with no loss of strength or speech/swallow issues. My dear mother is a nurse of thirty years who didn't think there was/is an issue. Several doctors saw my blood test and weren't concerned. Recently I have developed a feeling of discomfort that is nothing to worry about, but to the anxious irrational mind gets blown out of proportion.

I am sure I am fine, just thought I'd follow the advice of a problem shared is a problem halved :D I await your assurances. In the meantime I will plan the rest of my life which I am sure will be a long, happy and successful one :D
NeedAssurance
Interested
Interested

Re: Newbie needing a little assurance

Postby NeedAssurance on March 27th, 2011, 9:48 am

the exact same feeling has come back, someone reassure me!
NeedAssurance
Interested
Interested

Postby garym on March 27th, 2011, 10:13 pm

Sounds exactly like BFS to me. I have muscle pains, and in fact my triceps are hurting right now for no reason. Hang in there!

Take care,
Gary
garym

Postby johnnythejet on March 27th, 2011, 10:22 pm

NeedAssurance wrote:Anyhows, lets look at this rationally. I have twitched quite regularly for nearly 18 months with no loss of strength or speech/swallow issues. My dear mother is a nurse of thirty years who didn't think there was/is an issue. Several doctors saw my blood test and weren't concerned. Recently I have developed a feeling of discomfort that is nothing to worry about, but to the anxious irrational mind gets blown out of proportion.

Yes, lets look at this rationally....otherwise known as, where does the truth lie?
I'd say your statement above is spot on. You are fine.
johnnythejet
Saint
Saint

Postby NeedAssurance on May 13th, 2015, 2:57 pm

johnnythejet wrote:
NeedAssurance wrote:Anyhows, lets look at this rationally. I have twitched quite regularly for nearly 18 months with no loss of strength or speech/swallow issues. My dear mother is a nurse of thirty years who didn't think there was/is an issue. Several doctors saw my blood test and weren't concerned. Recently I have developed a feeling of discomfort that is nothing to worry about, but to the anxious irrational mind gets blown out of proportion.

Yes, lets look at this rationally....otherwise known as, where does the truth lie?
I'd say your statement above is spot on. You are fine.

I do hope so, but I make myself sick with worry
NeedAssurance
Interested
Interested

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group