Hi, I'm new.. i'm scared, but this place helps

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Hi, I'm new.. i'm scared, but this place helps

Postby dezza on October 8th, 2003, 9:56 am

Hi everyone,

I'm new here - and I think as is common with a lot of people here I've been scared that I have ALS (which is mainly the fault of doing google searches on fasciculations!)

Just a bit about myself, I'm 23 and studying at university.

discovering this site has been great, as I was looking around about the muscle twitches I've been getting and started out with this site then others about ALS.

I thought I'd tell my story to strangers rather than to friends.. its a bit strange, but anyway - I went travelling in Malaysia a few months ago, and I was scratched by a dog whilst I was there - since then I've been scared stiff that I'd get rabies, which I didn't really think about until I got back from overseas. So I got all this anxiety, got the 'flu (which I was scared would be the end of me!) and then I got better... Asked about the dog that scratched me, it was fine so I will be too.

But during that time, I started twitching, so I wondered what was going on - went to the doctors and asked about what the deal was, and she told me that I'd get a blood test and an CT scan done to see if there were any electrolyte imbalances, thyroid problems, etc. My blood test came back with nothing but high cholesterol (i eat out too much) and the CT scan was clear - so with that and no real answer I went searching on the Internet.

So basically at the moment I've been getting twitches in random areas around my body, starting near where the dog scratched me (that was scary!), headaches, pins and needles here and there, and a bit of itchiness. I also feel muscle soreness in place to place, I've felt like my arms and legs are a bit weak, but its passed and come back, and from everything I've read here its pretty much what BFS does to you?

I'd just wanted to ask if this sounds like what you have....

Another thing is that I've signed up for a rather stressful career next year - I'd like advice as to how BFS affects how you work?

many thanks.
derek
dezza

Postby Jenn311 on October 8th, 2003, 4:12 pm

Does sound just like BFS to me. Have you seen a neuro? De-stressing a bit should help tremendously. And stay away from stray dogs (and dingos :wink: )

Jen
Jenn311
Saint
Saint

Postby dezza on October 9th, 2003, 3:21 am

yeah i'm going to stay away from south-east asian dogs from now on!

no i haven't been to a neuro yet, should i?
dezza

Postby Pole on October 9th, 2003, 4:59 am

Hi Derek

I think it's good for you that you will have stressfull and time-consuming job. It will take your thoughts away from twitching,BFS and ALS. I hope you forget about all this S.H.I.T soon and you'll be back to your normal life.

Wish you that
Marcin
Pole
Hero
Hero

Postby dwl on October 9th, 2003, 5:32 am

Marcin,

I've noticed that you seem to be a lot more relaxed about your symptoms. Does this mean that you have lost your als fears? You must be at the 6 months plus stage by now & should be pretty much guaranteed OK.

David
dwl
Hero
Hero

Postby Pole on October 9th, 2003, 6:01 am

Hi David
thanks for remembering about my problems. You're right - I've been twitching for over 6 months now. But still twitching. My main problem now is not twitching (I can live with that) but fatigue. My arms fatigue easily when I hold them up and my legs fatigue easily when I climb stairs. But I'm sure that I still have all my strenght in all limbs. No weakness, no cramps.

So my fears are still with me but I hope that I lost the worst days behind me :)

regards
Marcin
Pole
Hero
Hero

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group