non-stop twiching

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Re: non-stop twiching

Postby osbormd on March 4th, 2003, 6:56 pm

ro dash wrote:The twiching is non-stop. I can't take it. Does anyone have any suggestions that have relieved some of there twiching. Someone told me to drink tonic water as it has quinine in it. Apparently, quinine reduced muscle spasms which can cause twitching. Tonight, I am having a phone counseling session with a therapist. My husband has had it with me and said I need to talk to someone. This should be interesting. I'm going to tell her all about my twitching, that I have had every test done, every blood test imaginable and have been to every doctor, and I still think I have something wrong with me. This pursuit to find out what is wrong with me has been going on since last June, when I delivered my third child. I had this crawling sensation on my leg, which I still have and increase in my twitching, which I have had for years. My family, friends, husband think I'm nuts. They say "you have had every test . Nothing is wrong." When I went back to a different neurologist in August, I never even told anyone. Because of course he said everything was fine and then I would have to tell everyone again that I am fine and will not be in a wheel chair at age 35. I find that having a glass of wine takes my mind off of everything, but then I twitch more. Does anyone have increased twitching with alcohol? Anyway, I will say goodbye. I have to get ready for this person who doesn't even know me try and tell me I am fine and need to live with this twitching. Thanks for listening. This website has been very helpful to me and I am glad that I am not alone.

I have problems with alchohol as well. More than 1 or 2 drinks, and my twitching is kicked in...probably related to the hangover!

My Neuro just put my on Generic Dilantin. I've been on it for 4 days now and I haven't noticed anything yet. I also take Co-EnzymeQ10, High Gamma Vitamin E, Vitamin C, and a daily multivitamin. I try to eat a slightly fatty breakfast before taking them, since some of them are fat-soluble. For anxiety I take Lorazopam (Generic Ativan) when I need it, and Paxil CR (although I'm switching to Generic Prozac). I feel like I'm going to light up one of these days from all the drugs and supplements!

Just recently I came across some old messages on this board and other boards about Benign Cramp Fasciculation Syndrome and how to treat it -- there is something about Sodium Channel Blockers and a bunch of other drugs and supplements. I think I'll give them all a try sooner or later!

Report back if you have success with anything! :) I'll do the same, but it seems some of the people on this board have tried just about everything with no real success yet!

Take care,
Mike
osbormd

Postby kim on March 6th, 2003, 4:34 pm

Hi!

Going on 9 months of twitching. I immediatly stopped drinking caffine, alchohol and avoided any stimulants! For 6 months that is, until I realized it didn't make a darn bit of difference. I began having my morning coffee, and my evening glass of wine, and life was good! Or as good as it ever will be with twitching!

You have to make the decision to be happy and live your life to the fullest. It reminds me of a song I heard as a kid (or something similar)

"If you're happy and you know it twitch your arm! If you're happy and you know it, twitch your foot! If you're happy and you know it, then your twitches surely show it. If you're happy and you know it twitch your back!" :wink:

Kim
kim
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Davidd on March 6th, 2003, 10:36 pm

Kim--

That was one of the funniest posts I've seen in awhile! I'll be singing that all day tomorrow...Thanks for sharing! :)

--David
Davidd
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby kim on March 7th, 2003, 8:02 am

Davidd,

I have been singing it for a few days now, and believe it or not, it helps!

:idea: We should all make it our mantra! :idea:

Kim
kim
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Arron on March 10th, 2003, 4:24 pm

Kim, you hit the nail right on the head in more ways than one;

1st; you have learned what does and doesn't work for YOU as far as what affects your BFS and what doesn't affect it. It is my belief that no vitamins or caffeine or "simple" solutions like that affect BFS in the least. I have read tens of thousands of posts these last few years and have seen a LOT of posters say they take vitamins and/or suppliments and they helped for a short while (the placebo effect for sure), only to see the same person later post saying their old symptoms are back again as they were before they started taking suppliments. Just like your post about cutting out caffeine, alcohol and other things, only to get the same symptoms back again, so you went back to what you liked and you enjoy life and the things you like once again. Good for you!

2nd; You have learned how to beat BFS simply by not letting it "Get" to you anymore. Yes, it IS annoying BUT it is also benign, so why let it get to you in the first place. Sing your great little song girl and I will be singing it right along with you. BFS is only as bad as you let it be. Ignore it, move on and live your life because worrying about a benign thing, when there are SO many other nasty things we could have gotten, is a waste of our time and a waste of our lives. You hit the nail on the head and I hope other's follow you. You go girl!
Arron

Sponsor

Sponsor

Previous

Return to The Support Group