Need some support

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Need some support

Postby garym on September 22nd, 2003, 2:26 pm

Hi guys, I've got a new symptom that is driving me crazy. Starting last wednesday, I noticed a problem with swallowing. I can swallow anything I want, but I get a very strange feeling in the back of my throat everytime i drink water. This is really starting to get to me, and the neuro didn't even want to hear it. I think he thinks I'm a hypo, which I may be, but not before all this. I can't imagine anxiety showing up as a physical symptom.

Please give any info. of similar symptoms, advice.

Gary
garym

Postby dwl on September 22nd, 2003, 3:04 pm

Hey Gary,

This is a REALLY common sensation in bfs. It's caused by spasm of the throat muscles brought on by anxiety. Sometimes you feel as if your throat might close over and you can also get a choking sensation with it. Look up "globus hystericus" on Google to get a flavour of what I mean. Also ask Kerri - she had this and it seems to have gone now.

If you can't swallow your dinner, then maybe you have grounds for concern. Anything short of that, forget it & it will go away quicker if you stop thinking about it.

David
dwl
Hero
Hero

Postby Jenn311 on September 22nd, 2003, 7:29 pm

Allergies can cause this sensation as well....as sinus drains down the back of your throat, it causes inflammation. Just a thought.

Jen :wink:
Jenn311
Saint
Saint

Postby twitching man on September 22nd, 2003, 8:02 pm

Hey Gary- I get that to almost like the water is slowly draining from the back of your throat. Thats how mine feels any ways. i saw an ent today and
he thinks it is related to gerd.

Paul
twitching man

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group