Facial twitching

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Facial twitching

Postby stace on September 21st, 2003, 10:54 pm

Hi All,

I wrote about a month ago to ask about facial twitches - and I'm still twitching. At the time of my first post I was experiencing a pulling of my mouth to one side (it looked like I was smirking) and twitching all along that same side of my face (cheek, under my eye and corner of my mouth).
Since then I've had an MRI and many blood tests with no conclusion - only the MRI came back with two small white spots located in a part of the brain that "would not be causing the symptoms", to quote my GP. I'm told by her that this is from anxiety and part of me accepts that it can be, but also I worry that twitching in the exact same place for two months now seems very uncommon and therefore indicative of something worse. My mouth has gone back to normal (no real twitching and it's centered again). My cheek also twitches less often than before and I'm grateful for all of my improvements, but the area beneath my eye still has a fine flutter that is constant and it's hard not be be anxious when it's been going on so consistently and for what feels like so long.
So basically, after this lengthy explanation of my experience so far, what I'm asking is - does anyone believe that their symptoms are purely linked to anxiety? And if so, have you found that treatment with SSRI's or CNS depressants like valium or ativan helped to lessen symptoms, not just your awareness of the symptoms? If not, how the heck do you all not periodically get anxious because of the twitches? Thanks very much for the support this forum has already provided - it's been a great help!
stace

Postby John on September 21st, 2003, 11:40 pm

I have'nt had that many facial twitches ,but I have had the ones in the eyelids ,and that does drive me nuts . One thing that is just human nature is to focuss on something new, to the point that we see things thwt are not realy there.Now I am not saying that you are imaging that your face is'nt symetricall . I do know that no ones Face is realy symetricall .Look at yourself in the mirror and cover one side of you face ,then do the same with the other side and you will see that they are not the same .I'm just sugesting that you may have never noticed it before because you never had reason to worry about it before . Most people do not like them selves in a photo when they see it ,and the reason is the only time we see ourself is in the mirror ,whitch is a reverse image of ourself . The only way we ever see ourselfs is in reverse,so when we see a photo we think ,I don't look like that .

When my legs first started twitching in my calves i started looking at them all the time ,and then I noticed that one was smaller and had less muscle mass than the other , I freaaked out . IT was completely normal ,that is just the way I am .What I am saying is that none of us are symetricall but ,when the mind starts playing these games with us its hard to look at everything the way we need to .I am glad you are doing better and you will keep getting better . I am sure that mine is related to the anxiety.

Wishing you well
John
John

Postby dwl on September 22nd, 2003, 2:04 am

I had some very persistent facial twitching for about 4 months, always in the same place. I still get it very occasionally but it has pretty much settled down now. As reassurance, I understand that facial twitching is VERY unusual in als.

All the evidence so far points towards bfs being an autoimmune condition but I'm sure it can be worsened (but not caused by) anxiety.

David
dwl
Hero
Hero

Zoloft (Lustral)

Postby nickic on September 22nd, 2003, 4:51 am

I too have been told by my doctor that the twitching is due to anxiety. I have been twitching now for 3 to 4 months and have been on a low dose of Lustral (Zoloft) for 2 months for my anxiety. I have to say that the twitching became really noticeable when I was down in London seeing the Neurologist and I was terrified that I had MS (had numbness and tingling as well). It turned out that he thinks I am fine. Anyway that week totally freaked me out and I was horribly anxious and depressed. Now I feel much better, am glad to have found this site as at last I don't feel alone or that it is all in my head!!

I decided that I needed to deal with this aggressively so hence the antidepressants and also I see a chinese medicine practioner who has given me some acupuncture which really does seem to have helped alleviate some of the symtoms. Although I still twich everywhere (sometimes in my face too), I do feel a lot better about it and am 95% sure that I don't have anything ominous.

Anyway, be positive and if you do feel a little bit low then you could always give the antidepressants a try and see how you feel.

My hope is to be off them by Christmas.

Nicki
nickic
Interested
Interested

Re: Facial twitching

Postby zoulou on October 29th, 2003, 10:13 pm

stace wrote:Hi All,

I wrote about a month ago to ask about facial twitches - and I'm still twitching. At the time of my first post I was experiencing a pulling of my mouth to one side (it looked like I was smirking) and twitching all along that same side of my face (cheek, under my eye and corner of my mouth).
Since then I've had an MRI and many blood tests with no conclusion - only the MRI came back with two small white spots located in a part of the brain that "would not be causing the symptoms", to quote my GP. I'm told by her that this is from anxiety and part of me accepts that it can be, but also I worry that twitching in the exact same place for two months now seems very uncommon and therefore indicative of something worse. My mouth has gone back to normal (no real twitching and it's centered again). My cheek also twitches less often than before and I'm grateful for all of my improvements, but the area beneath my eye still has a fine flutter that is constant and it's hard not be be anxious when it's been going on so consistently and for what feels like so long.
So basically, after this lengthy explanation of my experience so far, what I'm asking is - does anyone believe that their symptoms are purely linked to anxiety? And if so, have you found that treatment with SSRI's or CNS depressants like valium or ativan helped to lessen symptoms, not just your awareness of the symptoms? If not, how the heck do you all not periodically get anxious because of the twitches? Thanks very much for the support this forum has already provided - it's been a great help!

Don`t worry.
Twitching at the same place while it is annoying (a lot) is not uncommon in BFS. I had this for hours, days or even months! :evil: :evil: :evil:
It's not anxiety.
BFS is real disorder. About 0.5% of the population is affected to some degree (a doctor told me). I have this for 10 years now .. and i'm still twitching + some very annoying problems as "pin and needle" sensations.
I'm almost sure that many of us got it because of some bad gene. My mother has "essential tremor" and told me she had some fasciculatiosn on legs.
Good luck. It will stop.
zoulou

Re: Facial twitching

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group