Anyone else feel this?!

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Anyone else feel this?!

Postby pilot-USAF on September 16th, 2003, 9:18 am

As you may have noticed - I am a pilot in the Air Force, so my health is VERY important in relation to my job.

I have had on again - off again twitching for about 7 months (I think I had it three years ago as well - but can't remember probably because I was not focused on it). Pretty much EXACTLY like all of you (random twitching, single fire's, myoclonic jolts, buzzing in left foot - NO WEAKNESS). In the past I have had tingling sensations, pins and needles, but nothing recently.

Well, I went to a neurologist about two weeks ago - EMG normal - normal MRI. As all of you, I still worry about the serious stuff.

For the past several days I have had BOTH calves twitch in various spots (on the calves) very lightly that CAN be seen (more prominent in the morning when I wake up), but they are different than the twitching I have ever had before! Very strange and subtle twitches that seem slower and more randomly spread over the calves (meaning it dosen't twitch in one spot for a period of time then leave - it is all over the calve randomly). This bout of twitching all started about 4 weeks ago when my wife gave birth to our second child (no sleep and stressed). This can be so FU#@*NG frustrating!!!! :x However, I can still do weighted calve raises and all the other silly test we all give ourselves.

I have read a bunch on here and the Cleveland Clinic site so I am 98% sure - like all of you - that it is stress and does not denote any problems muscular or nerological. By the way, I am 32 yrs. old and in good health other than an anxiety problem.

Does anyone else have these type of twitches? It is more annoying than anything else!!

I am a GAD sufferer and a bit of a hypochondriac as it is.

Please Help!

USAFplt :wink:
pilot-USAF
Interested
Interested

Postby fastpage on September 16th, 2003, 9:21 am

I think this was answered on the other thread you posted. By the way, what do you fly?
fastpage

Postby pilot-USAF on September 16th, 2003, 9:38 am

KC-135R

Unforntunately I had to go to SAudi in April!!!
pilot-USAF
Interested
Interested

Postby garym on September 16th, 2003, 11:25 am

Pilot,

I have the exact same symptoms in both of my calves. They are there 24/7. Mine have gradually gotten bigger and more visible.

Good Luck!
Gary
garym

Postby fastpage on September 16th, 2003, 11:35 am

Ah, Stratotankers. I heard the retrofit for the R was a huge improvement over the A model (shows you how old I am). I also heard somewhere that you can refuel NATO planes with some new type of refueling pods? Getting off topic, I guess. Thanks again for your service. Hope Saudi wasn't too unpleasant and try to quit worrying about the twitches. You are too young, have the wrong symptoms for *** and are not allowed to get sick anyway-against orders-we need you where you are. Stay safe.
fastpage

Postby John on September 16th, 2003, 5:47 pm

First off ,Thanks for being one of the many that keep this country FREE.
THe twitches in my calves are exactly as you describe ,and I have been twitching 24/7 for 10 months . A friend of mine flys the big one ,a C5 I think . Just think of them as your little buddies ,and charge people to watch them ,you'll make a fortune.

Good luck ,and keep safe .

John
John

Postby pilot-USAF on September 17th, 2003, 5:00 pm

I appreciate all of the kind words!!

I am deployed right now, so any and all encourgement about BFS is a REAL help!!! :!:
pilot-USAF
Interested
Interested

Postby Ray on September 19th, 2003, 10:59 pm

Hey USAF Pilot,

You're not alone on this one. My calves have been twitching non stop for 9 months now. It's most prominent after any physical movement, ie: waking up and walking 20 feet and sitting down again only to have these crazy twitches fire up again, they settle down while resting but are forever present, drives me bonkers too! I find that 90% of my day is focused on worrying about it. I have some good days where I can tolerate them but ultimately I'm looking for a good coping technique. If anyone can suggest something I would be greatly appreciative.

Ray
Ray

Postby pilot-USAF on September 20th, 2003, 4:18 am

Ray,

Thanks for the reply! This I posted on the "Questions" section of yhis forum, and it is my take on things. I should mention that my twitches got MUCH worse about a month before I deployed for Saudi Arabia (Operation Iraqi Freedom) :!: The survey from the "Questions" section sparked this from my brain...

5. Was there anything that appeared to trigger the twitching. (i.e. viral infection) Stress & infection (probably due to the stress) See answer to #7!

6. Do you have any Anxiety or OCD disorders?: I am a Generalized Anxiety Disorder sufferer with obsessive compulsive tendencies. Currently under a Psychologist's care.

7. Any other medical conditions that may be connected to BFS? None –but suspect underlying reoccurring viral infection that is aggravated by stress and anxiety (which starts the vicious cycle – stress depressing my immune system hence allowing my EBV or Herpes viral infections go unchecked allowing them to invade my CNS). This along with all of the “flight or fight” hormones associated with CRONIC stress and anxiety can be a volatile mixture!! Weather this is BFS, Fibromyalgia, CFS, RLS, sleep difficulties – WHATEVER! these all seem to be AGRIVATED by anxiety and stress. So, is stress the cause or the symptom who knows, but the mix is the same in all of them – stress & anxiety, virus, sleep. MY THEORY!

8. Did you go through the typical ALS scare so common on this forum? Much like the majority on this site, my original fears were of MS due to parasthesia noticed 3 years ago, but due to my recent head MRI and EMG (both being normal) Lou’s disease FEARS seems to have picked up where MS left off – SEEMS TO BE A VERY COMMON PATTERN WITH BFS WORRIERS!!

9. Body region most affected? RECENTLY, my calves (slight visible twitches that occur randomly over the entire lower leg) – stress is suspect due to my NEW and intense worry about A#S!. Although, like most of you, random twitching, single fire's, myoclonic jolts, buzzing in left foot - NO WEAKNESS.

10. Most unusual area affected? My mind!!

I encourage all of you to read closely WHAT I WORTE and compare it to everything else on this site OBJECTIVELY not SUBJECTIVELY! Most of us, I feel, have something going on physiologically speaking which causes the twitches we all have come to PANIC about. Although our minds are VERY powerful when it comes to awfulizing and suggestion!!!! Our worries are in our minds – call it being sick or just wired differently but this my friends is THE reality. For those of you that LOOK for the AWFUL exceptions to the neurology rules, my heart goes out to you! This behavior however, is COMMON with anxiety disorders – your mind finds a way to continue the irrational thoughts in order to maintain the anxious state. There are theories as to why – weather it is control, redirection from other tragic or stressful issues in life, or a subconscious decision to choose to believe the “horrible disease” theory rather than accepting mental illness/sickness because one feels the latter shows social or personal “weakness” and the preceding shows a “victim” state which dissolves all blame and even RECIEVES sympathy. The worst part is this can happen all subconsciously, which explains why we THINK we don’t feel this way. Do yourself a favor and search within you, deep down, and some of you will know this to be TRUE. These are all documented and researched psychological patterns going back to Freud. I am not saying this applies to everyone here, but I feel it is the majority. But like you, my mind wins a great deal of the time and the worry roller coaster ride continues…

I encourage you all to accomplish some of your own research concerning mental health at your local library - it will open your eyes!
pilot-USAF
Interested
Interested

Postby Ray on September 20th, 2003, 7:39 am

Hey USAF Pilot,

I can tell you've done the research and I admire the time you've allocated in an attempt to find an answer to the ultimate question, " WHY "! I too agree with your thinking. I believe we all have different stress tolerance levels and it appears we BFS suffers fall into the same threshold level.

When I first started to reflect on my own situation and searched for the answer " WHY " I believe I channelised all my thoughts into the twitching of my lower limbs and therefore it just manifested itself there never to leave again. This constant fixation on the fasiculations only solidified its position there. Have you ever sat there and stared at your arm and willed it to twitch? I have and it twitched. Have you ever played a trick on someone and told them that their leg was itchy and you kept at them until they ultimately had to scratch. This only proves to me the power of the mind and what we can and cannot do! So here's my theory, perhaps we need to change our subconscious thinking to will it away. I recently went to a Hypnotist (desperate times call for desperate measures, LOL), together we created a CD with some suggestive phrases, it's early and I haven't really given it a chance but I'm hoping that this will unlock the grip the BFS has on my calves and ease it to the point where it's manageable, crazy thinking eh? You can tell I'm Canadian by my " EH " !

Anyways, if this doesn't work there is always acupuncture! LOL

Take care

Ray
Ray

Right on!!

Postby pilot-USAF on September 20th, 2003, 2:54 pm

Ray,

I'm with you man! Although easier said than done - my mind seems to have me "head-locked" (pardon the pun) from time to time.

BTW, what is your bio (age, symptoms, etc..). When did you first notice yours and when (any special, stressfull, or significant event)? Curious.

I really think we are onto something, although many on here sadly are blind with fear (understandable at times!)

pilot
pilot-USAF
Interested
Interested

Postby paul on September 20th, 2003, 7:30 pm

Hi,
my twitches started off in my legs about 8 years ago but they are everywhere on my body now.I had and still do have a very stressfull job and it also co insided with my wife having our frist baby and there was also the death of someone close. All very stressfull things to happen in your life. I can see a lot of the same things have happened to you recently and talk about a stressfull job. The main thing is you really can learn to live with them some days you notice them more than others but they won't kill you. Get yourself a hobby it helped me a lot. Good luck.
Paul.
paul

Postby Ray on September 20th, 2003, 7:33 pm

Hey USAF,

You'll find my story under the " Experiences with BFS " section, the subject is " Where's the switch to turn this off ??? ", you'll find it long but I wanted to detail my story. One thing I did not note was my age, I'm 37. I too understand exactly what everyone else is going through. Up until recently, lets say three weeks ago it was only twitches but now it appears I have some pain in the lower limb region (perhaps it's just my *beep* worrying making up the pain), it's not freaking me out but it does seem to have me on edge. Reading a lot of the posts it seems apparent that this is not uncommon. You know Pilot, I would just like to have an evening of rest, when I say rest I mean MENTAL rest, just let all my fears, fixations, .......... let it all go and sit and enjoy a movie with my wife and kids without a thought what so ever towards twitches!

I think I'll go down stairs now, pour myself a Cognac and chase it with a beer, just a little treat! LOL

Stay safe!
Ray

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group