Hi guys

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Hi guys

Postby KERRI on August 13th, 2003, 5:17 pm

How many of you have suffered from the lump in throat or tightening of throat and the slurred speech feeling.

Kerri

I think it is nerves but it is really annoying
KERRI
Hero
Hero

Postby Jenn311 on August 13th, 2003, 5:52 pm

I am actually quite sensative to my speech, have been ever since this started. I am suprised how much I slur when I am tired or when I have just woken up. It no longer freaks me out though....I just do a quick check by doing some tongue twisters. So far so good.

Jen
Jenn311
Saint
Saint

Hey Jenn

Postby KERRI on August 13th, 2003, 6:38 pm

This is not what they mean by dystharia right. Have you ever felt like you have trouble speaking or cannot say a word. I have this sometimes and sometimes not, again this week I feel like I cannot talk. It concerns me. Is it classic for bad stuff to start out in the arm and end up bulbar but everything is negative.

Kerri
KERRI
Hero
Hero

Postby jcavan4125 on August 13th, 2003, 7:10 pm

Hi Kerri,
I get the tightness in the throat and the difficulty with words all the time. It freaked me out at first but now I'm getting used to it. The important thing is that it is intermittant. As you know that other entity is not intermittant, it is progressive and unrelenting. My neurologist thinks it is a kind of dystonia. In other words fasciculations when you try to use the muscle (either with the throat or the tongue). It can last ten minutes or all day, but it always goes away. Try not to let it bother you.
Joe... "That which does not kill us makes us stronger"! - Nietzsche
jcavan4125
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby tlotoxl on August 13th, 2003, 7:13 pm

i've avoided social situations in some cases because i felt that my tongue was too slow or that i wouldn't be able to talk -- and when i did talk, that it was somehow a great effort. all the tests at the neuro came out fine, though (no emg, just tah-tah-tah-tah-tah-tah toh-toh-toh-toh-toh-toh tests). anyway, the problem has been coming and going for a year now and has not gotten any worse, so i put it down to stress and perhaps some thyroid problems (though that's still up in the air).

i find that alcohol always loosens up my tongue, but not always in the ways that i would want ;)
tlotoxl
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

This all sucks

Postby KERRI on August 13th, 2003, 7:33 pm

It sucks that we have to go through this, but it is nice to know I am not alone.

Kerri

P.S. I am fine when I get home, it is only at work go figure
KERRI
Hero
Hero

Postby twitching man on September 21st, 2003, 12:09 pm

Kerri- I also get the lump in the throat problem along with the feeling of my throat being constriscted. I was told that it was from acid refluxe/gerd.

TM
twitching man

Postby nickic on September 21st, 2003, 2:41 pm

I was in a car accident about 7 years ago and afterwards when I tried to eat my throat would kind of close up and I couldn't swallow. I was told by a psychiatrist that it was anxiety and would go away and true enough it did. Now I twitch and sometimes have that same feeling although not as severe and I know that it is just anxiety so I don't worry about it.

Don't worry yourself - you are fine.
nickic
Interested
Interested

Postby Nole on September 24th, 2003, 6:56 pm

I have GERD also and have had that plenty of times. It is from my GERD, and I am on meds, you could have silent gerd and never know you have it, get it checked out if it bothers you, anxiety will do it too!
NOLE
Nole
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics