twitchaholic

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

twitchaholic

Postby Brian_B on August 8th, 2003, 12:02 am

on your wondering if BFS might be genetic, I think I said before but my dad also twitches a lot

I dont know if its genetic though or just freak coincidence.

my neurologist thought it possible that my dad might have got it from Vietnam and then might have passed that to me

he said it started not long after he got back from Vietnam so its possible that something over there caused it

soldiers in war zones will be potentially exposed to dangerous chemicals and weapons that general population would not.
Brian_B
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby twitchaholic on August 8th, 2003, 1:53 am

I don't know what your dad experienced in Vietnam. It may very well have been a chemical. I have some friends who were in Vietnam and I can surely say THAT IS STRESS.
In any case, here is my new theory. BFS is lurking like the gene for alcoholism. If you have the alcoholism gene and you drink---------there you go! You're a likely alcoholic. BFS could just be in there waiting for the right environmental trigger like stress or meds, or caffeine or whatever triggers this stuff. If the trigger never comes, the BFS doesn't either.
Whadya think?
twitchaholic

Postby spb on August 8th, 2003, 6:05 am

It's an oddly intriguing suggestion but I might take it a step further. So many people with these strange symptoms also suffer from OCD. And, that being the case, I wonder how OCD and it's chemistry might be related to the addictive behavior of alcoholism?

Alcohol can exacerbate Peripheral neuropathies.
spb

Postby Jenn311 on August 8th, 2003, 7:47 am

Good point CIndy...

I read that people that suffer from alcoholism or other drug addictions are almost unilatirally also suffering from mood disorders like depression. SO I guess people feel the need to self-medicate.

Jen
Jenn311
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics