What is myokymai vs fasciculations

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

What is myokymai vs fasciculations

Postby KERRI on July 13th, 2003, 4:37 pm

I have been doing a little research, my twitches are rythmic flickers of the muscle, usual not big, but they have been big enough to move the entire muscle. I read that fasciculations and myokymia are two different entities. Fasciculations appear in a rippling movement where as myokymia appears as a rythmic flicker, I have also read that it was the other way aroung.

I have read that it is difficult to decide the difference between the two and only emg can really decide this.

Myokymia is not associated with als. So this may explain alot, but unfortunately MS is associated with myokymia.

I do not care I will take MS anyday over ALS.

So, what do you guys thinks.

Kerri
KERRI
Hero
Hero

Postby twitchaholic on July 13th, 2003, 5:13 pm

Kerri, your question actually helped a great deal. I am thinking I might have myokymia rather than (or in addition to) fasciculations. Below is a posting I found on the Neurology and Neurosurgery forum for Med Help International. Questions are answered by doctors at the Cleveland Clinic. Perhaps this will help other people too especially all of us worried about ALS. Apparently if I can believe what I read, myokymia is not associated with ALS. Any thoughts from anyone else? Does anyone have myokymia?

By the way, here is the link to the quote below in case you want to torture yourself more and wander around this neuro site too (I did :wink: ):

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/neuro/archive/11868.html

Is myokymia associated with ALS as are fasciculations? I'm pretty sure what I thought were fasciculations is in fact myokymia -- if that's true, what's the difference in likely cause?
====================================================
I have posted a definition of the two phenomena below, as you can see there is a more sustained character to myokymia but this can be difficult to decide even when looking at the patient, ultimately EMG may be required so I cannot comment on your symptom on the basis of a verbal description alone.
“ Myokymia is a clinical phenomenon by involuntary repetitive contractions of muscle fibres, which give an undulating appearance to the overlying skin, lasts a few seconds, and demonstrates a typical electromyographic ( EMG ) activity described as myokymic discharges. The difference between the single twitch of the fasciculation more sustained contraction of myokymia may be evident only on electromyography in difficult cases. ‘
Fasiculation is more associated with ALS than myokymia. Myokymia tends to be more associated with nerve irritation rather than hypersensitivity of muscle cells to circulation stimulating factors which is the cause of fasiculation.
twitchaholic

Postby Pole on July 14th, 2003, 1:55 am

I am not sure I can see the difference correctly.
What are repetitive twiches of the same muscle fascicle (only one place of the muscle twiches - exactly the same spot) - fascics or myokymia?
M.
Pole
Hero
Hero

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics