it's not just us

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

it's not just us

Postby dwl on July 9th, 2003, 8:19 am

I found this article on people with medically unexplained neurological symptoms - it seems that neuros see a whole lot of people with symptoms not caused by any disease process!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/quer ... t=Abstract

J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2003 Jul;74(7):897-900.

The outcome of neurology outpatients with medically unexplained symptoms: a prospective cohort study.

Carson AJ, Best S, Postma K, Stone J, Warlow C, Sharpe M.

Robert Fergusson Unit, Royal Edinburgh Hospital, Edinburgh, UK Department of Psychiatry, University of Edinburgh Department of Clinical Neurosciences, University of Edinburgh.

BACKGROUND: In a previous cross sectional study of 300 consecutive new attenders at neurology outpatient clinics, 90 were detected with symptoms that were rated as "not at all" or only "somewhat" explained by organic disease. OBJECTIVE: To report a follow up study of this cohort. METHODS: Patients were reinterviewed by telephone eight months after their initial assessment. They were asked to rate their overall improvement on a clinical global improvement scale, and their health status on the medical outcome short form 36 item scale (SF-36). The PRIME MD interview was administered to determine psychiatric diagnoses. Neurological and primary care records were reviewed for any changes in diagnostic opinion during the follow up period. RESULTS: Of the 90 eligible patients, 66 (73%) participated in follow up. Among these, five (8%) rated themselves as "much worse," four (6%) as "somewhat worse," 27 (40%) as "just the same," 15 (23%) as "somewhat better," and 15 (23%) as "much better." There were no cases in which an organic cause for the presenting complaint was uncovered during the follow up period. Poorer physical function at baseline was the only predictor of poorer outcome at follow up. CONCLUSIONS: Over half the patients who presented to neurologists with symptoms that were rated as largely or completely medically unexplained had not improved eight months later. In no case was a disease explanation for the original presenting symptoms subsequently identified.

Interesting stuff!

David
dwl
Hero
Hero

Postby Arron on July 9th, 2003, 5:52 pm

Great find David!! It just goes to show you that BFS may not have anything to do with anything either. It just may be some kind of unexplained, BENIGN abnormality, much like my computer does on occasion. It ain't a virus and everything checks-out electronically just fine, but every now and then, it does some strange things.

Our brains are WAY more complex than any computer and we have more circuits and pathways and software in our heads and nervous systems than 10,000,000 computers combined, and with that, it would be understandable that out of 6 billion people on this planet, with the ability to communicate world wide at the touch of a mouse click, there might be a percentage of us with exactly what that study concluded... that some of us just have minor glitches and minor short circuits.

My computer still functions great and I live with the little abnormalities it has from time to time, just like my body is healthy but has a small abnormality too, (the BFS), but I also live with it and it doesn't impair my daily living. It doesn't mean my computer is going to shut down or crash the system, nor does it mean my body is going to fall apart or expire from something bad... we all have some type of abnormality somewhere, whether we know about it or not...

Again, great find. I think this will lay to rest some of the fears people have that BFS "has" to be something... so what? Maybe no explination is needed at all? It's just one of those minor little "glitches" we find in many places in life. It certainly doesn't mean anything majorly bad is going to happen :-)
Last edited by Arron on July 10th, 2003, 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arron

Postby Jenn311 on July 9th, 2003, 6:10 pm

What a great analogy Arron....and David thanks for sharing that with us. You guys are super! :D
Jen
Jenn311
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics