To Kerri

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

To Kerri

Postby dave_stereophonic on June 29th, 2003, 6:45 am

Kerri, I've not been on this board as long as you have, but I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say that the intention of this board is to provide support and advice for people suffering from BFS. However, it isn't really for people with ALS. ALS is something I think we all worry about, whether it be at the back of our mind every time we twitch, or knock something over, or can't open the lid off a jar. However, we have to accept that had the medical sites we searched when first experiencing a twitch presented the full facts about ALS related twitches, I'm sure none of us would have a problem. As Aaron and others have repeatedly said, ALS and BFS are not the same. Yes twitching is a common factor, as are some other symptoms; however, if twitching was the first thing that started you off then you must know that it's not ALS, where twitching is a secondary symptom. I wasted a good few months during a crucial time in my education worrying that I had ALS, when in actual fact there's nothing wrong with me. I've been clumsy and heavy handed this last week, and ALS has been at the back of my mind. However, I'm trying to be rational and present myself with the following facts:

ALS affects 1 in 100,000 people, most of whom are male, over 50
Now me, as a 19 year old, I am very unlikely to get it. As are you, a young female. I have never seen a Dr about my twitching, but I'm sure that it's nothing. Maybe I should see a Dr for peace of mind, but I'm satisfied that if I really did have ALS, despite the perceived symptoms I have, I would, 18 months after twitching, have noticed something serious. You have to convince yourself of the same, for your own sake, and for ours too.
I don't know you Kerri, so I shouldn't make this kind of judgement. However, from what I've heard from you these past few months, I'm sure that you are maybe ill- not with ALS, but with a serious anxiety problem. I know what it's like to feel that you're not enjoying your life because of pre-occupations with health, but fortunately, I realised that life's too short. Please go and see a mental health professional and tell them everything that you're experiencing. Please, try and salvage some life for yourself. YOU DON'T HAVE ALS. THE CHANCES ARE YOU NEVER WILL. Haven't you nearly choked on something? Don't you worry that you will choke on your food next time you eat? think of all the car crashes on the road these days. Yet you're still prepared to get behind the wheel and drive faster than you should. There are small chances of lots of things, but worrying about them isn't going to do anything but make you ill.

Please see someone Kerri, a psychiatrist, your GP, anyone. Just please get some help

God Bless
*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*

Dave

*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*
dave_stereophonic

Postby Arron on June 29th, 2003, 9:26 pm

Hang in there Dave. A great post for sure and I'm sure Kerri will take it as you meant it, sincerely, and not repremanding.

You know and I know it's hard to face something you REALLY fear. I'm sure Kerri knows this too and hopefully will try to deal with it as soon as she can and get some help. She seems like a nice young gal that means well.

I know how easy it is to fall off the deep end. I was so out of it in my early days, I lost about $300,000 in income the first year of being freaked out, and I missed all kinds of family vacations, Christmas, gatherings and outings.

You KNOW something is wrong when you are in Hawaii, sitting on the beach, feeling fine (after 11 months of straight twitching) but scared to death you have ALS, after you've been scuba diving, bike riding, hiking (from bar to bar :) ) riding a Harley around the island, big game fishing and so on for the past two weeks. NONE of which could happen if ALS was ravaging your body. But your mind just won't allow you to listen to reason!

Well, it took me a long time to come to terms too and all of that happened to me. I did it all, but still was convinced something was wrong and that something was going to show up sooner or later. Well, the reality of the matter is, if you wait long enough, something WILL show up sooner or later, and it doesn't have to be ANYTHING related to twitching or ALS at all. Car accidents, pnumonia, cancer, athsma, skin cancer, eye problems, flu's, and even normal weakening as age sets-in.

I mean I used to lift big block Chevy blocks right up onto the mill and onto the engine stands all day long. They weigh several hundred pounds and are awkward in weight distribution, so it isn't like someone saying they can "bench" 300 Lbs... this is totally different, off balance dead weight, and you know what? I am having trouble lifting those things anymore, after all, I am 41 now, so it's pretty much expected. Besides, I run two other decent sized businesses, so I try not to strain myself anymore either. I'd rather have one of my "monkies" do it for me. So is this BFS related? Nope, it's laziness and old age related :) or actually "wisdom" in my old age :lol:

I know you mean well and so does Kerri. I wish the both of you the very best, as well as everyone else on this site that is dealing with fears they really don't need to be fearing at all. It is sharing experiences and advice from one person to another that really helps on these message boards. I hope that some of what I say helps other's as well :-)
Arron

Postby Jenn311 on June 29th, 2003, 11:27 pm

Yeah Kerri,

What he said. You know you deserve to not live in fear!!! We are all wishing you the best. Don't keep having these terrible things done to your body becuase you are afraid! Live, laugh and love.
Love ya girlfriend,
Jen
Jenn311
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics