Clinically present fasciculations

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Clinically present fasciculations

Postby KERRI on June 23rd, 2003, 1:07 pm

How many of you have fasciculations that were present in the neurologist office, I mean fasciculations that they actually observed.

Kerri
KERRI
Hero
Hero

Postby reneeintx on June 23rd, 2003, 1:53 pm

Kerri~

I had none observed by the neurologist. None appeared during the emg. I was twitching in my feet at the time, while he was jabbing me around my ankle. The emg picked up nada.

Renee
reneeintx
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Craig on June 23rd, 2003, 2:31 pm

I had some fasciculations that the neurologist observed; however, I did not have any that showed up on the EMG (I was also twitching at the time of the EMG, but it didn't pick anything up).
Craig
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

My neurology appointment

Postby KERRI on June 23rd, 2003, 2:36 pm

Craig wrote:I had some fasciculations that the neurologist observed; however, I did not have any that showed up on the EMG (I was also twitching at the time of the EMG, but it didn't pick anything up).

I had a neurologist in the city I went to for a second opinion, he said BFS, even though he saw no fasciculations.

My local neuro did not see any fasciculations and he waited five minutes, he looked at my shoulder blades, legs and arms, the most common places to see twitches, he did not see any, he said in order to have even a diagnosis of BFS he needs to seen clinical evidence of fascics, or emgs evidence of prominent fascics.

Kerri
KERRI
Hero
Hero

Postby reneeintx on June 23rd, 2003, 2:46 pm

My neuro kept hitting me with a rubber mallet and looking where he hit with a light of some sort.

He banged my legs, shoulders, arms still nothing happened.

Renee :)
reneeintx
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Pole on June 24th, 2003, 2:45 am

My neuro was looking for fasciculations in exactly the same way like reneeintx's one. He told me that if I have fasciculations in arms, legs or other spots, these fasciculations would not vanish. They would be there constantly - once denervated muscle is always denerveted. When the neurologist hits the muscle denervated muscle fascicles would move themselves (and it should look like these famous "worms" ;)

Pozdrawiam (it is regards in Polish)

Marcin
Pole
Hero
Hero

Postby Arron on June 24th, 2003, 1:30 pm

Pole you are right and that is what everyone needs to remember, ALS is PERMANENT. The twitches are there and always there. They won't hit and run, or pop once and then be gone. They are happening for an entirely different reason than BFS twitches. BFS twitches can be in one place one moment and then somewhere entirely different the other moment, where as once a muscle starts dying from ALS, it will always be dead and it will always show up on an EMG, AND it will become weak and have atrophy on a continual basis. Great post Pole, Now if we can convince more people of that, everyone would be out living life and not worrying about something they don't have.
Arron

Yeah Pole and Arron

Postby KERRI on June 24th, 2003, 3:03 pm

This must be what my neurologist was trying to say, I love you guys.

Kerri :D :D
KERRI
Hero
Hero

Yeah Pole and Arron

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics