Excellent article on suffering

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Postby dtmguy on September 20th, 2006, 10:44 am

I came across an excellent article, written by an MD in academia (who incidentally is a prolific publisher of academic studies in the arena of central nervous system sensitization syndromes like IBS, fibro, and some other ditties that some of us report in addition to our twitching). The article deals with the topic of suffering, a definition of it, and how it is neglected by the current medical community. I think you all will find it excellently written and harmonizes with angsts we've all had with the medical profession, which in large part does not understand or relate to what we're going through with our non-fatal symptoms and negative lab results.

I believe BFS, for some of us, is due to a hypersensitive central nervous system (due to chronic pain, anxiety, stress, or whatever).

The author concludes that the focus is on physician coachiing of the patient to move forward with a positive attitude--sort of a Basso-like approach to the problem.

I wanted to gift-wrap this article and give it to some physicians I've dealt with lately. Anyhow, I think you will find it good, deep reading, and encouraging in sort of an interesting way in that an MD is trying to grasp the problem and soultions:

http://www.fmaware.org/healthProfession ... botage.pdf

-Dave
dtmguy
Hero
Hero

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics