Checking in again after 6 more months

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Checking in again after 6 more months

Postby twitchaholic on August 14th, 2005, 6:07 pm

Hi all!

You probably don't remember me as I haven't been around in a while but I joined in July 2003 after at least 6 months, maybe more of CONSTANT calf twitching (right calf) and roaming twitches elsewhere.

I just want to be a voice of encouragement. I still half 24/7 calf twitches. They are contstant in my right leg and almost constant in my left. I have 2 to 3 every few seconds. They are visible, like popcorn. I really notice them at night. Sometimes they are joltin. I have no weakness. I still have roaming tiwtches. About 3 months ago I had a 3 week stint of eye twitching. I notice when I don't get good sleep they are worse.

The good news is that's it! Nothing newly diagnosed. No dread disease other than this junk. Hang in there. I'm about 3 years into this and life is just fine. I found that stressing over the twitching did nothing but give me more anxiety and worry for what turned out to be nothing other than an annoyance.

Go live! It's all going to be fine.

Thanks for letting me check in. I'll be back....

Oh, I forgot to add that I also have cramps in the right calf on a regular basis. In fact, I can induce one by standing on my tip toes or pointing my toe. Lots of fun.
twitchaholic

Postby garym on August 14th, 2005, 7:40 pm

thanks for the update. It is good to hear that you have reclaimed your life and have moved on.

Take care,

Gary
garym

Postby Ginlyn on August 16th, 2005, 3:06 pm

Thank you for your post.

It was especially encouraging for me. I'm sorry that you are still twitching, but I too, have constant 24/7 calf twitches (more left than right) A twitch about every 5-10 seconds. I also get the occasional rover.

It's always good to hear that a "veteran" is doing so well.

Welcome back.

Ginny
Ginlyn
Saint
Saint

Same Here

Postby puggriffey on September 7th, 2005, 7:11 pm

Twitch, twitch, twitch. 18 months in and all is the same. I did have a "good period" of about 3 months with virtually no activity - then stress crept back in to my life from work and an infant at home going through teething and BAM - back into the old cycle again. The cramps are there too - though only when I'm really anxious or overdid it on a workout.

So, they're a part of me I suppose. No big deal. I've got life to live and bigger fish to fry (faith, family, compassion for others in true need) with my time in this world...the worrying has stopped for the most part. And when it ocmes back, I spend some time with the neuro getting things looked over and I'm on my way. It seems a much simpler formula now, and I so totally sympathize with the newly afflicted on here. It can be such a dark, dark shadow, and coming to grips with the possibility that a normal, healthy person could have a body doing such strange things is SO hard to accept, especially for those of us with chronic health concerns. So, I've stopped back in here too (not planning on staying around long) to give another first hand account of life after the "darkness". It does go on, and if you hang in there and weather the storm, you'll enjoy it too.

Some things to note from the 18+ months:

* Tremor - my hands shake now. Very fine, very benign. But there. Once you spot it, you will freak out a little. It's nothing.

* There was a period around the 6 month mark where it was ALL I could do to even walk. Crampiness, soreness, stiffness, etc. Exercise was hard. Fortunately, Lexapro and counseling were with me during that time, because you'd swear otherwise you had "weakness" setting in (I mean, what 33 year old struggles to walk, for crying out loud???). I'm pleased to report my leg strength has never been better (yes, I still twitch, but you should see me jump up and down on one leg NOW!!! :lol: )

* Health anxiety recurs, but you'll feel pretty strong about ***. It's interesting - it's reared it's ugly head for me a time or two, but now it's easily packageable, and not the monster it once was...

* You may never trust your neuro. Don't waste time wondering. I went to Mayo during "the storm" and I STILL came away with lingering doubts. How's that? Realize, friends, the mind is SO powerful, that at some point you just have to trust the last needle/shock that went into you no matter who delivered it. In this day and age, doctors are being OVERLY cautious not to be cavalier.

* For those interested - hear me. FAITH is SO meaningful to a "recovery". Do you know how powerful you can be if you come to grips with where we all go when this life is passed. Imagine - you are truly enjoying life to its fullest but also confident and comfortable with why you are here, what awaits you when you are gone, and what you must do with the precious itme you have in this world to stand before God with merit in the next. I don't mean to Bible thump, and I so respect those who offer differing views, but in the end, this is but a step in the road and the next one, from what I know, could be even greater than this one...

So, with that in mind - if the rarest of odds strikes any of us (and I am so confident we are all in good, secure company here), like ***, a lightning strike or an unfortunate accident on the way home, why worry about how it ends, when you can focus on what awaits the person of faith? I believe my health fears will only ever fully dissipate when I no longer stand in absolute dread of what may cause my untimely death. Life is filled with ambiguity - not only our twitches, but so many other factors. In this case, faith was so vital to giving me a pillar of hope to stand on, and this whole experience has been a wonderful reconnection with a God that probably wondered where I had wandered off to. If that's what came of this, then I not only don't mind the twitches, they may have been a great blessing in my life (OK - stop laughing at me...that might be a little overboard, but you know what I mean).

* Lastly, you will always feel alone on this. Reassurance just isn't to be found - from the wife, family, doctors, whatever. Certain appointments, conversations, visits on here, etc. will provide temporary (and blessed) relief, but just look at how many of us veterans eventually have to disconnect and move away once we've climbed the hill. Healing on this comes from within, and will always. In this case, with these fears, there is no where to turn (therapy helps, BTW) for the ultimate reassurance. I saw someone on here say their neuro said 100% NO CHANCE. Nice, but not 100% true. All you have to stand on is your own strength. And while I was here, I saw so many that were struggling so much, I truly wondered whether they'd make it. Lo and behold, a year later, we all did (the "graduating class" of 2004?), and it is because of the amazing strength, will and spirit we can all muster up. So to all, I simply say - keep fighting, find the strength, and build a game plan that works for you. Hope is endless - tap into it.

Best wishes.

JG
puggriffey
Hero
Hero

Postby Johnny on September 7th, 2005, 10:33 pm

Great post JG.

Johnny
Johnny
Hero
Hero

Sponsor